The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 3, 2001, 08:42 PM   #1
Anthony

Giles versus Chalker Tactical Slings - Civilian Perspective

Hello Everyone,

At the onset of this thread I would like to point out that I have already done a search string on both of these slings in the archives and did not find what I was looking for. So please do not refer me there.

I am a writer by profession and do not live in a war zone, but I do like to stay prepared like many of you here on The Firing Line.

What I am trying to do is find two sling setups within the same make of sling to fit a preban Benelli Super 90 with a pistol grip assault stock as well as a preban Colt Lightweight Sporter. The latter is an AR-15 with the full length stock, short A2 style forend, 16 inch barrel with flash supressor, and standard factory sling swivels at both ends. The Benelli is kept in "patrol ready" condition with a fully loaded magazines of buckshot, six slugs on a side saddle, and a bandoleer of spare shells. The AR is kept with three factory 30-shots magazines loaded.

If it makes a difference, I plan on equipping both with Laser Products Surefire dedicated forends at some point in the near future. The Colt will have the newer Millenium style with the higher output 500 lumen light.

In my search I have narrowed my choices to the Giles and Chalker sling systems. Both come with excellent credentials. My main concern is that the Chalker system does not look like it would adapt very well to my "grab and go" scenarios I envision for these weapons. Then again, I have zero experience with both. Further, none of the threads in the archives really commented on how easily the Chalker system could be donned in a hurry.

One of my primary interests is having a sling system that allows both weapons (more the AR) to be carried hands free slung across the chest or at my side without undue comfort or readjustment.

Are there any actual users of either or both systems out there that could shed some light on which would be the best system for my needs?

If so, why would you favor the system you do?

What are each sling system's strengths and weaknesses?

Also, any information on good sources for buying both sling systems would be greatly appreciated.

As always, thanks for all the advice.

- Anthony
Old October 4, 2001, 12:22 PM   #2
SA Scott

Anthony:

I have essentially the same weapons (post-ban shotgun/Bushmaster AR upper) and I'm curious to see the feedback also.

SA Scott
Old October 5, 2001, 04:01 PM   #3
STUMP

I have the Giles sling on my M-4. I love the sling and have used it for the past 5 years. However, it is dedicated to the weapon that it is made for. The M-4 sling does not fit the 870. The 870 sling does not fit the Benelli, etc.

I have not used the Chalker sling but I had some info on it at one time. The sling is worn by you. It has a clip on it, similar to a snap link. Each of your weapons that you may use with the sling has a strap put on it with a buckle to clip the snap link to. That way, you can change out weapons with very little trouble. I hope this helps you out.
Old October 5, 2001, 05:57 PM   #4
Brian Killing Tangos

I don't have any experience with the Giles but I have been using my Chalker (elastic back) every day at work and I must say that I'm pretty satisfied. I primarly use it for a Remington 870 but I can switch to an M-4 on the spot. However, it is better to order the attachment ring for the M-4 than to use the ballistic nylon strap that the sling comes with. With or with out it I find that the sling is perfect for me.

It has a quick release that other wise is tested to 80lbs, which makes it great for weapon retention. the sling's design also prevents it from being used as choking device against you. The Chalker Sling will evenly distribute the weight (In my case, primarly, the 870) allowing you to carry your weapon for long periods of time. I also want to mention, that the folks at www.MetroTactical.com are very cool and if you don't like the way the Sling is working for you they will refund your money.
Old October 8, 2001, 09:09 PM   #5
Vern Brink

I've been using a Gile's sling on both my 870 and my AR for awhile now. I had a stiff nylon loop closed w/velcro sewn on the left sholder of my Blackhawk vest to keep the sling from riding up on my neck. It does dig in during long deployments (stinkin 20 in, HB, fixed stock) The sling is easy/quick on and easy enough off unless you're worried about someone pulling you around by pulling on the weapon. Overall, I like them alot.

If the duty belt wasn't so bulky - a Blackhawk weapon catch might be a good idea for you also. It'll retain the weapon out to the side a bit. You'll have to decide on how you want to walk, with the weapon in front you'll have to spread your legs a bit - at least I do

Looking forward to some feedback on the Chalker.
Old October 9, 2001, 11:21 PM   #6
Anthony

Come on folks!!

We need some input on the Chalker slings.

Please help us out.

- Anthony