The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 24, 2000, 06:05 PM   #1
DAKODAKID

I have noticed that most all semi-autos used in competition are varations of the 1911.
I have a couple nice Colt 1911's and they shoot well but I seem to shoot my HK USP series (from MK23--USP .45c) alot better.
Could it be the trigger on the 1911 style is short,sweet and crisp?????
I would like to try my hand at competition down the road as punching holes in paper targets gets kindof old hat.
Any body shoot the HK USP family of pistols in competition?????
I have been told I should compete but am a little nervous about jumping in with the "BIG BOYS"
Any thoughts???
Old September 24, 2000, 06:29 PM   #2
9x45

Most single action autos used in competitive forums are 1911 variants, however at any given match there may be over 50% of the shooters using Glocks/Sigs/Beretta's/H&K's. The top 2 scores at the IDPA nationals were not 1911's.
Old September 24, 2000, 06:41 PM   #3
DAKODAKID

9x45 you are right but the top shooters and
most of the "PROS" use the 1911 style.
Why do you think this is????
The trigger, the comfort of the gun, the???

------------------
ACCOUNT FOR EVERY SHOT
AND MAKE EVERY SHOT COUNT
Old September 24, 2000, 07:35 PM   #4
Bubba

Not really. I watched all the top IDPA shooters come through my stage. The top pros shot everything from 1911s to Glocks to revolvers. Take a look at the division stats. Yes, CDP had a lot of people. But so did SSP.

Fo me, I love the trigger of a 1911. I have owed a few others, but I shoot a 1911 best. I have seen some REALLY good Tactical Tupperware shooters as well. And those guys on Team Spagetti errr... Beretta do very well with those guns. It's back to the old line... you use/carry what you shoot BEST. Some guys are good enough to shoot all kinds of pistols well. Not all of us have that talent.

Bubba
Old September 24, 2000, 11:06 PM   #5
Bob Locke

Tuned 1911's are inherently faster than other autos, at least in my experience.

But even they lag behind a slick revolver.
Old September 24, 2000, 11:57 PM   #6
Guy B. Meredith

Don't worry about jumping in with the big boys. They all started at the beginning and are very supportive of new competitors--at least in my area in Contra Costa county CA and also in the revolver only ICORE group.
Old September 25, 2000, 08:07 AM   #7
TritonCartridge

Dadodakid,

Use the gun you feel most comfortable with and shoot the best. It really isn't the gun so much as the shooter and his expertise.

Our shooters, Earnest Langdon & Dave Sevigny shoot Stock Service Pistols (Beretta & Glock respectively). No matter what pistol you give them they are fairly accurate and fast. With practice with a new gun they are even more so.

Go into competition with the mindset you are there to improve you skills... not shoot against the "Big Boys". While we want our shooters to win we try and keep them from loseing their focus that it is a game and that they should be having fun.
Old September 25, 2000, 09:16 PM   #8
DAKODAKID

Is there a competition that I could shoot my HK MK23 .45 Socom with a flash supressor?????

I do seem to shoot this BEAST the best...
I probably could resort to my USP .45..
I shoot that almost as good........

------------------
ACCOUNT FOR EVERY SHOT
AND MAKE EVERY SHOT COUNT
Old September 27, 2000, 07:22 PM   #9
racine

Dakodakid,
Why don't you try IPSC or PPC first before you jump into IDPA. My experience with IPSC and PPC is that these are generally a friendlier group of people that will help you shoot at ease(better)and so help you learn the mechanics of shooting. Also you will shoot more ammo and have more practice at trigger control, reloading, sight picture, left/right/two handed shooting, shooting accessories, etc... than IDPA. In IDPA, you will learn to shoot more "tactically" and generally be shooting around a group of more serious shooters who may or may not make you nervous. My experience is that they do not share as much info and shoot much less (remember muscle memory?).
As far as the Mk 23 goes, you will find it somewhat unwieldy and heavier than the other pistols in your inventory. If you want the inherent accuracy of the 23, put an O-ring barrel in the plain jane 45 and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE... Good Luck and have fun, just remember to also shoot safe!
DVC,
TR

------------------
TR
Old September 27, 2000, 07:36 PM   #10
DAKODAKID

Hello Racine,
Sounds like good solid advice to me but I think I need more practice before I compete!!
I am still having an issue with trigger finger placement on my guns.
I can place my trigger finger 5 different ways on the gun with mixed results, somedays right on, somedays a little off and I still tend to shoot to the left a little bit.

I tend to favor gliding the very tip of my trigger finger along the bottom of the trigger guard pulling the trigger straight back. My Dad and a close friend of mine (ex-Navy SEAL shoots like this)

What do the competition shooters do????

Being full Blooded German descent I am very
stubborn and tend to over-analize!!!(LOL)

Please help!!!

PS
Your "Hawkeye" shoots better than me, A great gun!!
thanks for selling It to me...
(If you are one in the same DC)

Old September 28, 2000, 01:06 PM   #11
Bubba

Interesting comment racine. I sure don't want to get into or start another IDPA/IPSC/PPC war again. As shooters we need to be standing together, not fighting amoungst ourselves.

I do think that your comment goes both ways. For every non-friendly IDPA experience you may have had, there are others that have had the same number of problems with IPSC shooters. I would suggest that we don't get into one sport is better than another because of the "people" involved. It will be different everywhere you go.

You did touch on a couple of differences that ARE worth discussing. Yes, IDPA is based on being tactical. And IPSC is based on shooting a whole lot more rounds in a match. There IS a school of thought that under stress, you will revert to your training. I have certainly seen this in my own shooting. So I choose not to practice any shooting that might cause me to make a mistake if I ever (heaven forbid) get into a situation where I was FORCED to use my handgun for self defense. That is one of the reasons I shoot IDPA. I practice shooting with as much of my body behind cover as I can get there and still hit the target. I make sure I get my hits. I practice good sound defensive tactics even though it may cost me extra time in a match. The IPSC shooters that visit with us (and they are welcome) seem to want to stand in an open door way and blaze away. I learned the hard way about doing that by takeing a few "simunitions" hits. Now very little of me tends to be exposed. The IPSC guys of whom I have known, tended to be a bit arogant if I was not shooting the latest and greatest version of whatever the hot equipment of the day happen to be. We tend to shoot what we carry everyday.

You did make a comment with which I DO tend to agree. The IPSC crowd WILL push you to shoot faster. I still practice with an IPSC master once a year. Three days with him pushing me and my times are indeed better. But I tend to be dropping a few more shots.

In my case, the IDPA people I shoot with are some of the friendliest, most helpful people I have ever met. I can honestly say some of my best friends in this world are people I have met shooting IDPA. At least the people I shoot with are very much in tune with helping new shooters. We make sure every new shooter that joins us is taken under the wing of an experienced "old hand". Not to "Show them how it's done" but to make sure they are #1 Safe, #2 know the rules and #3 Have a great time shooting with us.

As far as teaching you to shoot this way or that way, again, I think that varies in different areas of the world. Our group tends to do a lot of teaching as well.

Again, I am NOT trying to make this into an IDPA is better than IPSC thread. Just wanted to present a "different" perspective from your comments.

DVC

Bubba