The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 2013, 11:28 PM   #1
CS86

Problems with my scale

I've been having problems with a scheels digital scale that I bought over a year ago. It has a tendency to not read correctly when trickling powder really slow. If I trickle fast enough it reads and works up correctly. Once I start getting close to the desired weight, I slow down, and if i get to slow it stops.

As a check: I place the metered powder in a case, set the pan back down to see if it zero's out. Once I zero the pan out (if needed) and take the powder that I placed in the case and dump it into the pan the reading isn't correct. The only time that I can get it to work correctly is if I meter faster which is hard when I have to meter faster so the machine works right.

Does anyone else have this problem. I've tried to recalibrate it, take the batteries out and run it straight from the outlet, and made sure it is ran for awhile so its warmed up. Are there any other suggestions as to what I could try? It wasn't the cheepest and not the most expensive scale, but I'm not very impressed at this point. I'd like to get another better scale but really don't have the money for one.
Old February 18, 2013, 02:41 AM   #2
chris in va

Sounds like what we call in the mountain bike world, 'stiction'. There's a bit of resistance in the action and once a larger force is applied, it finally moves.

Honestly I don't know how the innards of a digital scale work, but just a hunch.

Perhaps some powder/dust has collected under the pan and needs some blowing out?

On a side note I just don't trust electronic scales and prefer beam scales.
Old February 18, 2013, 10:02 AM   #3
CS86

What would be a good recommended beam scale? How accurate can you get with them? I'm really thinking about getting one. I'd just like to know the good and bad about the different beam scales.
Old February 18, 2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Gbro

There is a good discussion about beam scales at this thread, it is one page down today.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516526
Old February 18, 2013, 10:09 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Digital scales have to filter their output. The number they give is derived from a calculation based on the voltage passing through a metal bar. The item you're weighing is pressure down on the bar, which induces a voltage change. The voltage fluctuates constantly and the scales software has to filter small changes or the number would never be stable. Some scales "stick" when you slowly add weight basically because the software sees the slow change as background noise and filters it out.

A quick Google search tells me that this issue has been reported with Scheel's scales.

I don't know what your budget is but you could save yourself the time and effort of manually trickling charges by going with an RCBS Chargemaster Combo or the similar Hornady version.
Old February 18, 2013, 10:27 AM   #6
wncchester

Electronix circuits have what's called hysterisis, meaning a reluctance to change status due to small changes in the system. All digital circuits (all devices that constantly need to switch status from 0 to 1) exhibit hysterisis to some degree so they rarely follow the small changes from a trickler in real time. Beams have no such problem and will follow a trickler perfectly. That's part of why I have no digitals for powder on my bench, nor will I.

Some think a digital is 'faster' because it always shows a number. But that number tends to take a second or so to steady and a modern beam will steady in two seconds so there really isn't a usable difference in speed.

A digital dumpster can offer a small time and/or accuracy advantage IF the user is loading hundreds of rounds at once or is sloppy with his technique using a beam scale.

Any beam scale offered by our reloading companies is fine and all of them are equally accurate (if not more so) as digitals. Lee's little Safety Scale is inexpensive but very accurate and very sensitive but it's so light that it's a PITA to use.

Get any beam from RCBS/Dillon (Ohaus) or Redding. They need no warm up time, they won't shift with line or battery voltage and nearby magnetic fields don't bother them - nor will any hidden internal part kill itself over a stray electron. Get a beam scale, keep it clean and don't beat on it; it will litterally last forever without change.

Last edited by wncchester; February 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old February 18, 2013, 10:56 AM   #7
CS86

Quote:
I don't know what your budget is but you could save yourself the time and effort of manually trickling charges by going with an RCBS Chargemaster Combo or the similar Hornady version.
I would love a RCBS Chargemaster, but my budget won't allow for one at this point.

Quote:
There is a good discussion about beam scales at this thread, it is one page down today.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516526
Thanks for the reference

At this point I will be looking into a beam scale. Thanks