The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2007, 09:38 AM   #1
jclayto

No. 55 Ideal Powder Measure

Someone gave me an older No. 55 ideal powder measure. It looks to be complete and in good working order. It also appears that this should bolt onto my classic turret press. Is this correct? Is this a decent measure? Should it prove to be a little more reliable than my auto disk?

Thanks!
Old August 6, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

The Ideal 55 was made by Lyman in the 1950s and 1960s, IIRC.

The Classic Turret Press is made by Lee.

I would think that any "match up" between the two items would be pure luck.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 6, 2007, 10:12 AM   #3
jclayto

Thanks mike, i was just going off the line on the lyman site that reads "Mount the 55 on your bench or any turret press. No funnel is required." But maybe thats for the newer models of the 55.

Thanks!
Old August 6, 2007, 12:39 PM   #4
Martyn4802

I don't think the Lyman 55 Measures have ever changed.

Martyn
Old August 6, 2007, 12:41 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, I was too limited in my thinking. I was thinking you wanted to mount the measure to the the belling die. When I looked at the Lyman website I realized what you want to do.

Lyman should sell a 7/8ths adapter that will let you mount the measure in one of the empty turret holes.

Old August 6, 2007, 01:35 PM   #6
UniversalFrost

I have acouple of spare adaptors I would be willing to part with. I have 2 no55's and both are older than I am. Both are mounted to the bench with the lyman bench mount adapter (not the vise like thing on the back). The work great and I would not part this them (have gone through several uniflow and hornady/pacific measures). Get the powder baffle (midway for 4 bucks) for the measure and you will enjoy consistent measures. Make sure to use the knocker after every drop to make sure the powder settles into the chamber for the next drop.

These powder measures just keep working while others always have issues. You will have to experiment with the vaious powders to see how to measure each correctly. Some like a deep and narrow cavity, others a shallow and wide caity. Really depends on the powder. IMR4895 works good with a deep and somewhat narrow caivty, red dot works with just about any setting, 800X works with shallow and wide. really need to play around to see what works for you.

JOE

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old August 6, 2007, 02:04 PM   #7
jclayto

Thanks alot Joe, I am still new to reloading and have had lots of issues with my auto-disk. I am looking very forward to playing with this measure. I want to go home and really look it over to make sure it's complete. Is there supposed to be a funnel or something on the bottom to direct the charge into the casing?

is this the correct baffle? Let me know thanks!
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=699516
Old August 6, 2007, 02:16 PM   #8
jclayto

Thanks alot Joe, I am still new to reloading and have had lots of issues with my auto-disk. I am looking very forward to playing with this measure. I want to go home and really look it over to make sure it's complete. Is there supposed to be a funnel or something on the bottom to direct the charge into the casing?

is this the correct baffle? Let me know thanks!
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=699516
Old August 6, 2007, 02:24 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

What issues are you having with your auto disk measure?

I find mine to be very consistent and reliable.

Old August 6, 2007, 04:49 PM   #10
UniversalFrost

that would be the correct baffle. wow 8 bucks is a lot. I will take some measurements of one of mine tonight and PM them to you so you can make your own out of some thin metal (pop can). 8 bucks is a lot, I get dealer discount pricing so that is probably why I only paid 4 the last time I bought one.

You should have some type of insert for the bottom that looks like one of the two in the photo

I checked and the ones that I have are threaded for 310 so they won't work on a standard press. I think midsouth sells the "new" threaded drop tubes for modern presses.

here is a photo of what your meausre should look like complete

let me know if you have the tubes shown (1 installed and the other on the side). Even if you don't have the tubes the one I have would work if you mounted the powder measure to the bench with the included clamp type setup.

JOE

Old August 6, 2007, 05:41 PM   #11
jclayto

I was able to play with the measure a little more tonight, it actually has the threaded adapter on it and screws directly into the top of my powder through expanding die. The only thing is mine only has 2 adjustment knobs (I think the newer models have 3) the larger bar will slide all the way in but the smaller bar will not adjust all of the way to 0, so at its smallest setting, I am getting drops large enough to over fill a .357 case. It is a really old measure but I like it, maybe it just needs some loosening up?
Old August 7, 2007, 04:42 PM   #12
UniversalFrost

The small brass looking slider (none of mine go all the way to zero either, but are close), the larger slider . I am able to adjust both of my no. 55's to load as low as a minimal charge on .380 (haven't tried 17 or 25acp) with a little tweaking. i will see if I have a manual left and scan it for you.

JOE

Last edited by UniversalFrost; August 9, 2007 at 09:50 AM.
Old August 9, 2007, 07:51 AM   #13
MADISON

#55 Lyman powder measure

#55 Lyman powder measure
It's an excellent powder measure.
You will need an adapter, still made, to fit the threads on the press....
Old August 9, 2007, 09:49 AM   #14
UniversalFrost

check his other posts. he already has the adaptor. also, jclayto I just sent you a nother pm on where to clean and look for compacted powder in the small adjustment rod channel and how to clean it (just cleaned out one of mine that had a lot of ball powder stuck there).

let me know if it fixes your problem.

JOE

Old August 9, 2007, 10:33 PM   #15
tuck2

I purchased my No 55 Ideal powder measure back in 1953, I still use it for loading small rifle cases and revolver rounds. Some time ago I put a powder baffel into the powder container.