The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 16, 2006, 01:09 PM   #76
IM_Lugger

Is Taurus a respected brand?

It is by me

Renfield why buy a Ruger when you can have a Taurus?
Old September 16, 2006, 08:04 PM   #77
Donovan655

I own a PT111 and like it alot. i broke the slide dissasembly latch and they fixed it for free with no questions asked. it didn't take more than 10 days either.

I do think the new Mil pro series and the 24/7 pistols are head and shoulders better than the pt111 I have.
Old September 17, 2006, 04:17 PM   #78
bobhwry

No they didn't fix it for free!! You paid shipping both ways, right??
Old September 17, 2006, 08:14 PM   #79
Panthera Tigris

I didn't even bother to call Taurus when the 44 Tracker needed work I just shipped it back with a letter. Yeah I had to pay to ship it, but Taurus repaired it without me calling them and shipped it back.
Old September 17, 2006, 08:46 PM   #80
JohnKSa
Staff

Check out the Better Business Bureau reports on Taurus International Manufacturing and compare them to Sturm Ruger or Smith & Wesson.
Old September 17, 2006, 09:30 PM   #81
Donovan655

Quote:
No they didn't fix it for free!! You paid shipping both ways, right??
I paid to ship it there; they paid to ship it to my door step.
Old September 17, 2006, 09:50 PM   #82
razorburn

bobby boy, that's not what you said in the past. It appears search is down for now, but in another thread a couple months ago, you said you'd been thinking about buying a taurus but the thread dissuaded you. Give a minute, and I'll go look it up and post the link here. You'd never related stories about them or your guns you supposedly owned, you just hound in on every thread and bash.
Old September 17, 2006, 10:06 PM   #83
razorburn

Here it is:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...74#post2051774

about 1 month ago. Post number 7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhwry 8-02-2006
Wow, I was real close to buying a Taurus but you guys have changed my mind. Sounds like you need a lifetime warranty if their going to break all the time. And then you send them in and get poor service?? Thanks guys, I've scratched Taurus off my list of guns i want.
In that thread, you played the role of an innocent impartial shopper about to buy a brand you were looking into. That you were about to buy a taurus, when in fact you've been an illogical taurus basher for long before that thread started. Completely inconsistent with your claim in this thread that you'd had actual 1st hand experience and had negative experiences, and are just relating them to try to "help" your fellow consumers. That claim of having owned them is also not present in your other taurus posts here before just this one. You've don't own one and you never have. TFL is a written archive, bobby. You can't make up lies and expect them to be forgotten or lost. They're kept in a record. I could find a dozen other of your posts to reference to expose more of your lies as well.

Why do you feel the need to lie all the time bobhwry??? Do you feel it makes you a better person? Did you think nobody could ever find it again to call you out on it? I didn't call you out on that thread but I'll call you out now. You made your own bed, and now you have to sleep in it, exposing yourself as a liar.
In every taurus thread you'll hijack and bash and try your best to convince others against the brand. To the point of sacrificing your own integrity to try to turn people against them. What is your agenda bobhwry?
Old September 18, 2006, 01:02 AM   #84
aaronrkelly

NO.

I finally resolved my issue with Taurus last Friday, thats when I received my replacement revolver from them.

I got a brand new gun with a totally crap barrel. Chunks of rifling missing, chatter marks.....just a bad deal.

I sent them the gun, spoke to Robert who advised I would have by gun back in 2 weeks, 3 weeks tops.

I called after 3 weeks and left a message, no return call. I logged countless, unreturned calls over a 3 month period. Everytime I spoke to someone they said they were waiting on a barrel from Brazil.

Finally, after a little over 3 months I was tired of hearing the "another 2 weeks" statement about my parts. They finally admitted they really had no clue when my replacement barrel would show up......and I would just have to wait however long it would take.

Only after I threatened legal action did they agree to send me an entirely different gun as a replacement.

First Taurus, last Taurus......

A lifetime warranty does you no good if you have to wait a lifetime to get your gun back.......
Old September 18, 2006, 03:38 AM   #85
Qwiks draw

Did a BBB check to see about complaints on Taurus. Seems that only 14 complaints were logged in the last 36 months. AS follows: Advertising,2 complaints.All resolved.: Sales practice,1 complaint,resolved; Delivery,2 complaints. Resolved;Repair,4 complaints. All resolved.;Service issues-1 complaint.Resolved; Customer-2 complaints. Resolved. The other few complaints were resolved. Owners may not be happy but things were resolved to everyones satisfaction. So says the Better Business people. S&W isn't much different. That was all the complaints in 3 years up to date folks. There would be more numerous cases of complaints if quality was completely lacking. People want action when they fill ripped off. I don't see it. So for the people who have legitmate gripes, fine and dandy. For the bashers who show up on these threads just to dump on the product, buzz off. If one has pertinent data list it like some here already have. All business' have some negative feedback because no company is perfect. No recalls anywhere recently have been posted. HMMM. The numbers don't add up for many complaints against Taurus. Some will not complain. But again, the numbers speak for themselves. Smith and Wesson brought out the 645 pistol a few decades ago. Problems right off the bat with function showed up. Complaints were made by most of the users.S&W responded by redesigning and fixing the previous pistols. New models were shortened and new reliable parts were used. There were problems again but not as many. The third and 4th generation pistols are in part because S&W responded to feedback. Taurus has done the same with its products. Do they get feedback from you folks? I have had 1 issue with an early pistol and had the part at the gunshop and dropped in in 2 weeks. For those who were actually dissed by the company you have a legit complaint. Is it one of only the 14 in the last 3 years? We shall see what history will tell us by actual facts. Hope this helps the people checking out Taurus products. Go to Taurus Forum-powered by Infopop and search or ask the users there. If a bad example came along they will tell you. I have many other makers firearms and if trouble develops I let them know. Never have had to threaten legal action or use the BBB to get corrections accomplished. Lucky I guess.
Old September 18, 2006, 09:40 AM   #86
mini14jac

Quote:
No recalls anywhere recently have been posted.
Uh.... Taurus doesn't 'do' recalls.

They've had several serious issues over the years that we wouldn't have known about with the Internet, but they don't do recalls.

The PT145 is just one example. There was an obvious issue with frames cracking when they first came out. (I bought one!)
They repaired guns that broke, and quietly "upgraded" the design to the Pro model.
No recall was issued, and to my knowledge, they never acknowledged a problem.

Again, I'm speaking as a past and current owner.

We still own two Taurus guns, both revolvers.
The other UL .38 that I sold was a good gun. (I bought an exact duplicate to replace it.) I really wanted to like the PT145, and the PT145 Millenium Pro, but both had numerous issues.

I was ready to get a .45 cal. 24/7 after reading about the torture test on the Taurus website.
But, after reading of multiple problems that 24/7 owners were having, (I believe I read these on the Taurus forum), and the fact that they were getting no help or feedback from the factory, I changed my mind.
(Edited to add: found 1 board with running list of 24/7 problems:http://www.tacapp.com/?p=53 )
Went with the Mil. Pro instead.
Wrong move. :barf:

If you've got one that works, that's fine, but I think it's only fair that prospective new buyers be made aware of the fact that they are rolling the dice if buying a new Taurus. And if you need customer service, you may not be headed for a happy place.

I've learned to do research before buying a gun now. I listen to what others are saying. (Both the good and the bad.)
Then I try to make an educated decision.

If I was honest, I'd say I spend way to much money and time on guns.
I've had NAA, Glock, S&W, Taurus, Ruger, KelTec, Norinco, Colt, Daly, Jennings, Bryco, Kahr..... and probably a few others.
I know what a class product is, and how a class operation works.

I've gotten better results by not buying anymore "low end" guns.
YMMV
Old September 18, 2006, 10:51 AM   #87
Huntergirl

I currently have a Taurus Tracker 44mag and a 85UL. I still sometimes use the 85UL for carry. Both run great, never had any problems. Had a 85CH and that ran flawless- traded it toward a SASS shotgun some years back. That being said, S&W and Colt are still my favorites
Old September 18, 2006, 04:38 PM   #88
bobhwry

RazerBOY,
Well your investigative skills are somewhat lacking.The two Taurus handguns I owned was several years ago. I had a bad experience which I have accurately described!! In the past few months I actually heard and read here that Taurus quality and service had improved and thought I might give them another try. That was until I read the thread you referred to in which several members related problems with Taurus and their customer sevice.Based on that info, I chose not to buy another Taurus.
My agenda is simply to share my opinion and experiences with others on this board. I believe I have been consistent in my views about Taurus on this and other forums.
I thought personal attacks were against the rules here, but apparently your exempt!!
P.S.- I may still have the invoices for the two Taurus' I owned or the receipt when I sold them. PM me with a fax no. and I'll send them to you. How's that for integrity??
Old September 18, 2006, 05:45 PM   #89
JR47

A literal reading of your post would not indicate that you'd ever owned a Taurus previously. Perhaps a less well read member would think that? People cannot read between the lines, so a complete description is needed to avoid such unhappiness.

I own a Taurus 85CH. I shot it loose with a steady diet of +P and +P+. Sent it to Taurus with a true explanetion. Six weeks later, it was returned, rebuilt and reblued.

I also own a pre-decocker PT92, and a PT58S. Both have been used regularly for over twenty years. No problems with either one. I have two Model 94 pistols, a Model 941 pistol, a Model 80, a Model 66 and a Model 85. All have been trouble-free for decades.

My last Taurus purchase was a Model PT101. It, too, has functioned without a problem.

I find it hard to believe that I've been that lucky.

Oh, Taurus isn't the first to "improve" a weapon without a recall. The Colt Double Eagles had their lockwork upgraded as a running change. S&W also did something like that. They upgraded the K-frames to L-frames, dropping the .357 Magnum from the K-frame line. Anybody see S&W offering to replace the .357 Magnum K-frame revolvers with the L-frame?

Last edited by JR47; September 19, 2006 at 04:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 18, 2006, 06:54 PM   #90
razorburn

Haha, again with the lies little bobby? Didn't mommy ever teach you manners? Your post clearly implies that you'd had no experience with them before. You'd never intended to buy one then. You have another post on THR again bashing taurus about 35 days before you'd made that false post pretending you were.

Post#87, stating your opinion naming taurus as one of the worst manufacturers.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthrea...ghlight=taurus

Or do you expect us to believe that you'd suddenly reverted from having a strong opinion that taurus was the worst firearms manufacturer and reconsidered into being just another innocuous consumer, actually to the point of being about to buy one during that brief span of time? You were posing and lying in that thread, playing a role. Just like you are doing now.

And again, in your many taurus bashing posts and threads, you'd never mentioned having those negative experiences with them prior to being called out as having no experience in this thread. If it was true that someone had turned against a manufacturer by 2 very negative experiences, it would only make sense to mention the experiences when bashing your most hated company. You're just full bore liar.
Old September 18, 2006, 06:58 PM   #91
bobhwry

JR47,
I'm glad your Taurus experience has been positive. Mine was not!! What specificaly about my post leads you to the belief I've never owned one, literally? I'll make the same offer to you as I did to Razorboy. PM me and I'll fax you the invoice!!! Anything else you be nedding? Your spelling not mine!!
Old September 18, 2006, 07:20 PM   #92
bobhwry

Razorbum,
You seem to have a conspiracy fixation!! Speaking of manners, you are a poor example! Call someone a liar with no proof, borders on slander!!
Still waiting on your fax no. so I can send you some documentation!!
Old September 18, 2006, 08:37 PM   #93
clayking

Tomorrow, after speaking with Taurus today, I'm sending one back in for the third time, as each trip to the range has meant a return trip to Taurus. Fed-Ex has had the gun longer than me. The response from Taurus has been ok. and the time to its return has been rather fast, less than 3 weeks from shipping to return. First service call the gun came back worse than when I sent it in.

They paid for shipping back to them and I got it back rather quickly. The second one fixed the problem but only 90% to my satisfaction. If this is repaired to their satisfaction, then I don't want a Taurus, as their idea of a clean smooth operating pistol is way different than mine. I understand that mechanical devices can break and can become inoperative.

Tomorrow, it goes back again, but at least they are paying the freight. We shall see. I'm hopeful that either they repair the gun or they will offer a replacement, problem is, I really like the looks of the Tracker and want a good operating one in my arsenal. It also shoots quite well when I've had the limited chance to practice with it........................ck
Old September 18, 2006, 09:22 PM   #94
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Did a BBB check to see about complaints on Taurus. ... S&W isn't much different.
The fact is that Taurus has nearly twice as many BBB complaints as Ruger, S&W, Winchester (USRAC) and Marlin PUT TOGETHER.

When you consider how many firearms are sold in the U.S. by Taurus vs the combination of Ruger, S&W, Winchester and Marlin, you start to get a better picture of the situation.
Old September 18, 2006, 11:27 PM   #95
razorburn

Please, I've provided solid proof which you are unable to deny. Just 5 days before posting that message where you pretended to be an innocent impartial shopper actually considering buying a taurus, you were making claims on THR on July 27th that they were the worst firearms manufacturer around.

Now it is inconceivable that the weak explanation you'd given is true- That you'd purchased them in the past, and that you were truly reconsidering them them to be a respectable company on August 2nd, 2006 and even about to purchase one for yourself, when in fact less than a week ago you were going about slandering them as per your usual style! Either your original post was a lie or your explanation was a lie.

Actually, in the process of looking up those posts, I found that you like to bash the Glock company as well. All cheap plastic crap right? As you so eloquently put it.

Why do you feel the need to brand bash, even to the point of making up lies to try to support your position? Please, if you don't like the company, that's fine, don't buy from them. But please keep your mouth shut and your uneducated opinion to yourself. Leave the rest of us who enjoy the guns alone. In this thread, the second you saw the pro taurus crowd relating a string of good experiences, you said "sorry to burst the bubble...." and again repeat your gun bashing mantra, as you'd already done so many times in this thread. You're so desperate to get people to hate them that you'd posted the same thing over and over again on this thread, anytime you got the feeling that there might actually be a positive consensus on them.

I've got no problem with those who really own them and relate problems with their taurus. In fact, I value them far more than words of praise. They are the posts any prospective buyer should be most interested in. But not 2nd hand misinformation, or downright lies like you've been spewing. You don't own one or ever have. You just made up those 2 experiences right now, since you'd never mentioned them before in your history of many, many brand bashing posts. You do have at least have an uncontested, proven history of making things up.

PS. Also bobby, you're wrong, as usual, about that spelling error. It wasn't me who mispelled need as "ned", so your little jab is off the mark. It was JR47 who you're referring to.
I've also recieved PMs thanking me for calling you out as a brand basher and a gun snob. To those, you're welcome.
Old September 19, 2006, 08:42 AM   #96
bobhwry

You're obviously not interested in the facts since I've offered them twice with no response. Something about documentation that bothers you?
Guess you prefer to lurk around and attack people personally rather than address the subject of this thread!!
Well Sherlock, all I can say is I've wasted enough time responding to your posts so off to my ignore list you go!!
Old September 19, 2006, 11:33 AM   #97
Qwiks draw

USAC and Marlin do not make handguns. The volume for Taurus is high in that area. 14 complaints ,resolved by the way, works out to only 4 or 1 more per year. If there were dozens or hundreds that would show a pattern. Dornieus and Dixon failed as have others due to shabby practices. As I have said earlier there are bad ones. Taurus doesn't do recalls.The other gun campanies have been doing the same when problems come up. They even pull advertising out of magazines when a writer calls them on a clunker.Mas Ayoob had verifiable bad results with a S&W a few years back and the result was S&W went on a rampage. Pulled advertising from the publication and threatened lawsuits. Mas did not condemn all Smiths. Making someone aware of a problem including safety issues is a service. Frothing at the mouth and overreacting rather than saying oops and fixing the problem is repugnant. Mistakes are made. I will not get into a p contest here. Taurus realized it had problems and is ,or has tried to correct them. Going rabid is not what they did. Yes,bad examples need to be aired. Thankyou for those legit posts. Sorry if you had a bad experience. Guns need to be thoroughly checked and many good guides are out there. Suggest that new buyers examine closely each one and take a knowledgeable person with you on the hunt for a new gun. Research through periodic journals by competant writers who don't espouse only one brand or accept advertising from companies.
Old September 19, 2006, 05:03 PM   #98
JR47

bob, your post, as copied by razorburn, gives no clue that you're anything but a person who was looking into buying a Taurus for the first time. Specifically:

"Wow, I was really close to buying a Taurus, but you guys have changed my mind. Sounds like you're going to need a lifetime warranty if their (sic) going to break all the time. And then you send them in and get poor service? Thanks guys, I've scratched Taurus off my list of guns i (sic) want."

If, as you say, you've already owned two Taurus weapons, where would one discover that in the post? Or ANY past experience with Taurus?

You should also check YOUR spelling, that's they're, as in they are, and the use of the "I" to indicate first-person is always capitalized, as well.

It would appear that, short of the 918v style drive-by, now called out, Taurus has about the same problems as anyone else. Taurus has more innovation than many other companies, and, it would appear, not the huge problems that some would have you believe. It's safe to buy with a feeling of getting a good product.
Old September 19, 2006, 07:11 PM   #99
bobhwry

JR,
On two occassions I have offered to fax to anyone interested a copy of the invoice of my Taurus purchases! Don't know what more I can do?? Check out Razorburns posts and you will find that he is a college student trying to pass himself as having alot of experience with guns.
In one post he bashes anything S&W but then questions my right to question Taurus quality. That's hypocrisy!!
Maybe when he grows up and graduates on Daddy's dollar, he will go to work for Taurus in customer service.
I've owned,traded, and shot firearms for 40 years! You choose who you want to believe!!
Old September 19, 2006, 07:15 PM   #100
bobhwry

JR,
Guess my spelling is nedding some help!!
Closed Thread