The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 22, 2001, 09:20 PM   #1
DAKODAKID

Idpa ?

1. Are all draws from hands down?
Are any draws from the surrender postition?

2. It is my understanding that anytime you drop an empty mag on the ground it is a penalty, is this correct.

3. On a mag change can you hold the full mag in your hand while you release the empty mag, then seat the full mag, then put the empty mag away?

4. Does your belt have to go through your belt-loops??

5. Would the Blackhawk CQB 1.750" belt be IDPA legal?

6. Does the holster have to be completly behind the centerline of the body or does just the pad of the trigger need to be behind thus allowing the holster to be at the side.

Does anyone know what IDPA's official policy is on this?

Thankyou for any help you can give me,
Old August 22, 2001, 09:34 PM   #2
Ned Roundtree

You may want to go to the www.idpa.com website for the rulebook.
Old August 22, 2001, 10:05 PM   #3
Mikey

I'll try to help...

My answers are embedded in you questions below

1. Are all draws from hands down?

Not always - can be hands on a table, holding something, hands on knees when seated, etc.

Are any draws from the surrender postition?

Sometimes but not often based on my 5 years experience with IDPA

2. It is my understanding that anytime you drop an empty mag on the ground it is a penalty, is this correct.

No. If you have fired until empty (slide lock) you may dump the empty and leave it behind. You may NOT dump a mag with ammo still in it. If you choose to reload before you are empty, when allowed in the course of fire, you must retain the partially depleated mag in a pocket, waistband or mag pouch.

3. On a mag change can you hold the full mag in your hand while you release the empty mag, then seat the full mag, then put the empty mag away?

See above...

4. Does your belt have to go through your belt-loops??

Yes

5. Would the Blackhawk CQB 1.750" belt be IDPA legal?

If it goes thru your loops, yes.

6. Does the holster have to be completly behind the centerline of the body or does just the pad of the trigger need to be behind thus allowing the holster to be at the side.

Just the trigger pad, but don't push your luck too far in a match. You can get penalized if they think you are trying to "game" it.

Mikey
Old August 22, 2001, 10:07 PM   #4
Ned Roundtree

Hmm, you miss the point of idpa. Hands are wherever the COF directs them to be. On a mail box, at your sides naturally, holding a grocery bag. But usually just not on the gun. In idpa we try to only reload at slide lock back or tactical reload with retention. We usually try to develop a habit of taking a partial magazine with us. Yes, there is a three second penalty from reloading with one in the chamber and leaving your mag behind. Your dressage is usually based on conceal carry and how you would normally dress on the street. I have never seen anyone walking the city streets with a competition gun belt on. Your pistol trigger pad should be behind the center line of your pants crease on the side. We also mostly start our cof based on conceal carry positions at my club.
Old August 23, 2001, 12:15 AM   #5
DAKODAKID

thanks guys,
I use the Blackhawk CQB belt which can go through my belt-loops but I have the holster and 2 mags secured in a fashion that i can put the belt on reguardless of what I am wearing and still have the holster/mag pouches behind my centerline.

This is how I carry.
Would the belt have to be in my belt-loops to be legal?
What If I am wearing trousers that have no belt loops?

I'm not trying to be a gamer this is how I carry in the real world.