The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 26, 2008, 12:13 PM   #1
chow chow

Sleeping while hunting

Old June 26, 2008, 01:21 PM   #2
bluedog

????

is very similar to sleeping while writing!
Old June 26, 2008, 01:31 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

Oh, I think I've been there a time or two.....
Old June 26, 2008, 02:30 PM   #4
TINCUP AL

I have been there many times ! Setting up on a mountainside with the nice warm sun on me. I have been known to drift off !
Old June 26, 2008, 03:00 PM   #5
fisherman66

Is that Ted Kennedy?
Old June 26, 2008, 03:55 PM   #6
TheNatureBoy

Add me to the list of many who have fallen asleep during a hunt.
Old June 26, 2008, 04:02 PM   #7
chow chow

Make sure the safety is on.
Old June 26, 2008, 04:30 PM   #8
jbadams66

I get some of my best sleep sitting in a treestand or pop up blind. I use a summit stand that is comfortable as can be and a vest harness so I dont have to worry about falling out and just sleep away.
Old June 26, 2008, 04:50 PM   #9
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbadams66
I get some of my best sleep sitting in a treestand
I'm glad you posted that, because I was about to say the same thing. Being outside on your days off, relaxing, is a great joy. To be that relaxed and disconnected from the world provides some of the best naps I've ever taken.
Old June 26, 2008, 05:23 PM   #10
LJ-MosinFreak-Buck

I have fallen asleep hunting with a black powder.
Old June 26, 2008, 06:08 PM   #11
davlandrum

Best naps in the world - mid-day on a long hike while bowhunting...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old June 26, 2008, 08:05 PM   #12
tvrobert

Great story from a friend in Iowa:

He drags a ratty old recliner into a snow-covered, corn-stubbled field. He sets the recliner near a fence with the wind to his back. He sets the gun across the armrests and promptly falls asleep. 2 hours later, he wakes to find deer tracks all around the chair, several different sizes of tracks--not a deer in sight.
Old June 27, 2008, 08:12 AM   #13
Wyatt Earp

I sold my Tree Lounge for this very reason, couldn't stay awake.

Wyatt
Old June 27, 2008, 08:18 AM   #14
bigjack59

My best naps are taken in an old shack I use for a blind. I have a great setup with a side table, beutiful view out the window, prop for my feet. No cell phone, too faw for my wife to walk and check on me and if someone does bother me I have a gun. Some day I may shoot a deer. We all hunt for different things...
Old June 27, 2008, 09:40 AM   #15
Double Naught Spy

Photoshop is your friend...
Old June 27, 2008, 10:16 AM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

In a deer-lease bunch of which I was once a member, one of the guys was in his eighties. He only hunted turkeys. He'd drive his Ford sedan down near a stock pond where turkeys commonly travelled through and park so he could shoot from the window. One morning, late, he hadn't returned to camp as expected. A couple of the guys drove down to check on him.

He was sound asleep. Turkeys on the roof; turkeys on the hood and trunklid, and turkeys all around on the ground.

There is a state that some call "hunter's doze", where you sorta snooze without really sleeping. Your senses are at least somewhat alert. I guess the advantage is that you're inert and unmoving, thus not spooking game by small motions. I've done that several times--to awaken and see a buck within shooting distance.
Old June 27, 2008, 06:38 PM   #17
rem870hunter

my mother in law sent me that pic a month ago. probably because she overheard me telling her daughter and husband i've fallen alseep a few times hunting. i recall one day i particular. it was the morning right after i met my g/f (her daughter) i was up literally all night. got home changed into my hunting clothes and me and dad left to head to the woods bowhunting. i slept from the time i got in the treestand (6 am) to about 5 pm. dad had to throw a branch up at me to wake me up. luckily my bow was hanging on a hook within arms reach and not on my lap with an arrow nocked. i fell alseep a few times since then but not in a tree. i'm like a little kid if i sit in the passenger seat for a ride longer than 20 minutes i fall asleep. but once my adrenaline (spelling?) gets flowing. i'm awake for hours.
Old June 27, 2008, 07:12 PM   #18
BIGR

Sometimes it is tough to stay awake when that warm sun starts shinning on you. It seems the older I get its alot tougher to stay awake in the stand. Thats why I wear the safety harness, because I've come dang close to falling asleep in the tree stand.... When I hunt on the ground in my folding chair I catch a few winks in the evening sun before prime deer time.
Old June 27, 2008, 07:32 PM   #19
DWARREN123

Get some good nap time in. If you don't have to have the meat then no problem except for the critters (two legged) stealing your stuff.
Old June 28, 2008, 12:23 AM   #20
T. O'Heir

"...some of the best naps I've ever taken..." Yep. The best nap I've ever had, and I'm an expert, was sitting in the Fall sunshine, on a foam pad, leaning on a big tree, while pretending to be squirrel hunting. Hunting isn't about the size or amount of game you take.
"...except for the critters (two legged) stealing your stuff..." You're in the wrong place. Go over one hill.
Old June 28, 2008, 12:31 AM   #21
BurkGlocker

I think I have fallen asleep in my blind everytime I went hunting, staying up too late, excited about the hunt, except for that one time I took my EX-wife hunting with me. BIG mistake, HUGE!
Old June 29, 2008, 11:15 AM   #22
Wild Bill Bucks

I let a nice buck( 10 point or so) walk, about 3 or 4 years ago, because he was about 125 yards from me, and moving toward my oldest son's stand. I watched the deer walk for several minutes, slowly moving toward my son, thinking he was going to shoot any minute. By the time I figured out he wasn't going to shoot, it was to late for me to get a good shot, and I let it go. I figured my son had gotten tired of sitting, and had moved or gone back to camp.

In about an hour, I decided to give up on my location, and go back to camp for a sandwich. I walked to the stand where my son was supposed to be, and lo and behold, found him asleep , on the ground. After showing him the deer tracks, not 20 feet from where he was laying down, we both went for a sandwich, and he decided he needed a lot more coffee, before we went back out.
Old June 29, 2008, 11:21 AM   #23
JWT

Easy to do sitting under a tree on a nice sunny warm fall day, waiting for squirrels to start moving around. Have done it more than a few times...
Old June 29, 2008, 03:33 PM   #24
BurkGlocker

Most of the times I have fell asleep in my stand though, the feeder was usually the alarm clock, that thing starts whirring it startles everything. But there have been times when the feeder has woken me up and all of the deer just standing there waiting for it to go off. i have had deer so close to the stand I couldve sliced their throats instead of shooting them. One time I woke up and there was a doe standing in front of the stand not even 5 inches away staring into the rifle slot looking at me, just breathing real heavy but not moving. Or another time I woke up and there was this 12 point standing there, I shot the 12 point, and sat there for a little bit, opened the door and there were two more bucks standing there not even 6 feet away, and they were both bigger than the one I just shot! And my dumb a$$ forgot to chamber another round. I didnt take another buck that whole trip. My favorite thing to do was taking pictures of the deer, and my favorite one was of these two spikes play fighting in front of the pond. That was sure a sight to see...
Old June 30, 2008, 04:17 PM   #25
Bailey Boat

Falling asleep while hunting is referred to as "squirrel hunting". I don't think I've actually killed a squirrel in years but I go squirrel hunting about every other weekend when it's season.......