The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 19, 2005, 05:58 PM   #26
TPAW

Henry Baker

Quote:
but would they allow the 762x39? Also, would I send it back to the company directly or do that through the dealer?
As for the 7.62x39, You'll have to ask at the range.
And I would go through the dealer. It's new, you bought it from him, the least he could do is send it back. Besides, because he sells Vector Arms, they will give him faster service. The company would not want to loose your dealer as a distributor of their product.
Also, read my previous post about the FMJ ammo issue.
Old September 19, 2005, 06:12 PM   #27
Henry Baker

TPAW, you've hit what I like to call, "the nail on the head." The whole reason I got the AK is so I could abuse it with low maintainence and cheap ammo, for a good SHTF gun, and AK's are just so cool. Like I say the dealer is a good guy and I think he will try to accomidate me as best he can. I forgot to mention the magazine issue before, but for what it's worth I got 3 mags and they all work equally badly. The gun malfunctions the same whene loading one at a time with no mag inserted, so I don't think the magazines are the problem.
Old September 19, 2005, 07:50 PM   #28
TPAW

Henry Baker

I would bring it to your dealer and send it back to the factory.
If your dealer fixes or alters anything and it still does not work right, Vector will tell you that he caused the problem which could void your warranty.
Have him ship it back to the manufacturer for repairs or a new rifle and be done with it.
Just make sure you articulate exactly what is happening and what the shell caseings look like with the marks and scratches on them.
Type out a letter and even draw a picture if it helps to explain what you are saying.
If possible, shoot a few rounds of ammo and send the caseings with the rifle.
A visual aid will speak more than words.
Good luck and let me know how you make out.
Old September 19, 2005, 08:59 PM   #29
Henry Baker

You just described what I plan on doing to the letter. I'll post how it went tomorrow after I visit the dealer and again if I get word from the company.

Sounds like a plan,
Henry Baker
Old September 19, 2005, 09:01 PM   #30
MeekAndMild

Er, are you sure you lubed it right?
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old September 20, 2005, 03:29 PM   #31
Henry Baker

Well gentlemen, I just dropped my AK off at the gun shop. Tim, the owner, said he would send it in and contact me when he heard from the company. One strange thing though, he said it was one of the first of that type they produced. Is Vector arms a new company? Parhaps he meant that model. I'll post again whene I get some more information.
Old September 20, 2005, 11:55 PM   #32
TPAW

Henry Baker

I really don't know very much about Vector Arms, but your on the right track.
Keep us informed.
Old September 22, 2005, 12:12 AM   #33
Forseti

Check the feed ramp. A small item, usually rivoted inside the rifle just ahead of the magazine front feed lips, before the chamber. Is it loose? Worse would be if it wasn't even there...
Old September 22, 2005, 12:39 AM   #34
Powderman

Sounds like a failure to extract.

Does the rifle cycle fully? If so, does it pick up a round from the magazine and try to feed it into the case that's in the chamber?

If it doesn't cycle fully, it's almost certainly the gas system that is the main cause. However, I don't think that this is the case, because you said that it fired and functioned on an irregular basis.

I believe that your problem might be:

1. Weak extractor spring
2. Gummed up extractor
3. Broken extractor

Disassemble the rifle, and look at the extractor. It should have a smooth, even edge. If it does not, replace the extractor.

Next, check under the edge of the extractor. Make sure it is clean and serviceable.

While you're at it, check the ejector, too. Make sure it functions the way it should.

To be on the safe side, take the whole assembly, clean well with a good solvent, or even better, blast it with brake cleaner (outside!!! ).

Then, lube with a light oil for the bolt and internals, and grease for the rails. Test fire for function.

If this doesn't work, Tapco sells complete bolt assemblies for $49.00 ea.
Old September 22, 2005, 11:12 AM   #35
essexcounty

I'm slightly suprised. I switched to the AK platform a while ago, but my AK fed with all sorts of junk ammo. I can't recall a single malfunction and put 2K plusrounds through them. I think you've been given a good list of things to check. Good luck, Essex
Old October 19, 2005, 03:41 PM   #36
Henry Baker

For those of you who remember my delema...

After weeks or waiting (my dealer was closed due to shot show) I finally got My AK back. The company said that they had to polish the feed ramp, some rail on the inside of the reciever, and a few other things. I'll post again after I shoot it this saturday. Hopefully it'll work this time.

Thanks for stopin in,
Henry Baker