The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 27, 2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Mercury3298

Issues

Ok I loaded a lot of .223 this week since the weather is terrible. I would say around 400 rounds. And out of those rounds a dozen of the loads ended up with primers that did not seat all the way and there crimped. And I used my dillon swagged tool and cleaned the primer pocket I'm probably to careful being new to reloading but, my issue is when I use my bullet puller tool being that my ammo is crimped the bullet won't drop out of the shell to remove the seating issue. And I don't want to destroy my bullet puller tool slamming it against the concrete. So, guys I need some help I don't want to just throw these away. Please help after you get done laughing.
Old February 27, 2014, 10:48 AM   #2
243winxb

I put the round in my RCBS rock chucker. Run the ram up. Get ahold of the bullets with channel lock pliers . Move ram down. The marks left on the nose of the Win. 55 gr fmjbr (seconds) didnt seem to hurt accouracy when reloaded.
Old February 27, 2014, 10:58 AM   #3
Jim243

Number of ways to do this.

First follow the above post.

Second, use a block of 4x4 wood and wack away, even with crimp the bullet will come out.

Third method is to get a bullet puller die for your press and proper size collet.

Jim
Old February 27, 2014, 11:04 AM   #4
PawPaw

I've used my "whack-it" bullet puller on hundreds of rounds, mostly on the concrete that is the floor of my shop. I've never hurt the little device, although there are other ways to pull a bullet.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 27, 2014, 11:52 AM   #5
243winxb

Quote:
my ammo is crimped
If using a Lee FCD , with an extra hard crimp (to much) , normal methods may not work well.
Old February 27, 2014, 07:35 PM   #6
jersurf101

I would back off on my crimp. I have seen a gentleman blow up a Swedish M96 and I am sure the only thing he did wrong was crimp his rounds way to tight. Over crimping is very dangerous.
Old February 27, 2014, 09:53 PM   #7
precision_shooter

Buy a bullet puller for your press and a collet for .223. I use the RCBS bullet puller.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old March 1, 2014, 01:30 PM   #8
flashhole

Why don't you just try and seat the primer a little deeper?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old March 1, 2014, 05:48 PM   #9
Jeff2131

If you are properlg sizing your cases, crimping a 223 is completely unneccesary. Neck tension is more then enough to hold the bullet and crimping rifle rounds like the 223 will hurt accuracy. Also, i have a hammer type puller and the directions specify NOT to smack it on stone or concrete.

In your case, i would use the press to remove the bullets, bevel the primer pocket lip, and avoid crimping in the future.
Old March 22, 2014, 06:06 AM   #10
Mercury3298

Crimp or not to Crimp

Hey guys thanks for the input! I try not to put a nasty hard crimp on my bullets but man you sure can tell the difference when you put a crimp on a bullet versus one that's not. I believe its a light crimp and I went by the video for Dillon on just how to adjust my crimp die. I like the idea of purchasing the RCBS bullet puller die from Brownells or one of the others out there.
Old March 22, 2014, 08:16 AM   #11
jcwit

Quote:
Why don't you just try and seat the primer a little deeper?
NO! Very doubtful anything would happen, but "and there's that 3 letter word" if it did, you have a small bomb.

As far as using the hammer type puller, I find striking it on a piece of hardwood end grain or smooth steel ie: an anvil does not gouge up the hammer creating possible stress areas causing breakage. Yes I've had mine replaced because of breakage.