The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 5, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Venom1956

You always remember your First.

I think we need another one of these to start up!

What was your first handgun? Do you still have it? Does it have a story?

My first was a gift from my father a Beretta Neos .22 6" that had a reddot on it. I was in junior high when he gave it to me. I shot it as much as I could but that was dependent on if I could get him to buy me more ammo. I have alot of fond memories shooting that in the summer.

It has since been past on to my younger siblings. I do now own one just for old times sake.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 5, 2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Plumbnut

Beretta 92fs 9mm and I still have it.

I installed a bathtub and took the money directly to the store and bought it. Back then we had a 3 day waiting period and I was mad because I had to wait four because Sunday didn't count.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:10 PM   #3
shouldazagged

When I was thirteen, nearly 63 years ago, a family friend who had fought in North Africa and Italy gave me a very clean, little-used Walther PP he had taken from a Wehrmacht officer who "no longer needed it". Had the late owner's name penciled inside the holster flap. When I was fourteen my dad interrupted a would-be burglar trying to steal it--it was a neighbor kid who knew I had it, though we couldn't prove it. My mother insisted on selling it. Took it to a pawnshop. The guy offered her fifteen bucks, and knowing nothing about guns, she took it.

The neighbor kid became a police officer and retired as a captain.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:18 PM   #4
allaroundhunter

Re: You always remember you First.

My first handgun was a Smith and Wesson M&P given to me by my grandfather on our last Christmas together. Almost a year and a half later it means more to me than ever. It isn't an expensive gun by monetary value, but it is the last gun that I will ever part with.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:38 PM   #5
9mmfan

Mine was a S&W model 64 don't remember the dash. I wasn't opposed to guns, just didn't own one. For a little while in 2006, the Dallas City Council decided that the police were not going to respond automatically to commercial alarms. There had to be a witness that a crime was occurring or had occurred. I lived about 700 feet from my job at the time, so when the alarm went off, the monitoring company called me. Thought I needed more than a stern glare, went to a pawn shop. Six and a half years later, that has burgeoned into quite the hobby, though I no longer own that particular Smith.
Old May 5, 2013, 10:58 PM   #6
22-rimfire

My first handgun was a H&R Model 999 Sportsman (22LR). I loved it at first until I learned what made "better" revolvers better. I then got a Colt Diamondback in 22LR as my first real handgun.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:19 PM   #7
BarryLee

My first handgun was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44Mag since I didn’t really want to mess around with anything less. No, I do not still have it after I realized how utterly inappropriate it was for my needs and at the time the only way to finance a new gun was to sale one. Yes, I have always regretted letting it go along with a few others I let slip away for various reasons.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 5, 2013, 11:26 PM   #8
Venom1956

rimfire thats funny i just tracked down a 999 even though I have better revolvers! They are SO neat.

shouldazagged that story is nuts! hopefully he matured a bit? Shame I've seen many people get 'taken' because they don't know or don't want it.

allaroundhunter is it the classic revolver M&P or the newer one? I couldn't quite tell I'm leaning towards Revolver by context.

Plumbnut I did the same thing with my first purchase. I bought it right before closing time so I had to wait 2 + 1 long days... Man it was worth it.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 5, 2013, 11:42 PM   #9
allaroundhunter

Re: You always remember your First.

Venom, it is actually an M&P9, semi automatic. My grandfather was never much of a revolver guy after carrying a 1911 in Korea.
Old May 6, 2013, 09:35 AM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

Oh yeah I still have it too. It's 2..got them the same week. A blue Browning Hi-power and a Glock 22. Shortly afterwards a Model 19-3

Been through 30+ guns since then
Old May 6, 2013, 09:54 AM   #11
L_Killkenny

Hell I can't remember what was my first handgun. Not like it was a life changing event and not even close to being like my first car or first woman. Heck, I can even remember my first bicycle over my first handgun. I can tell you that the first handful of short guns I owned, all bought about the same period, are long gone. Not for financial reasons, not cause they were all crap but I simply moved on to better things. Can't remember the first hammer I bought either.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Scorch

My first handgun was a Ruger Standard Auto 22LR pistol, one of the early ones with a red eagle in the grips. I got it in trade for working on a friend's truck, along with a Nylon 66 and an Ithaca Auto & Burglar pistol his grandfather had left him. The Ithaca became a liability pretty quickly, so it was sold to a collector. But I had the Ruger and the Nylon 66 for many years. I traded the Ruger straight across for a stainless Ruger Government Target model. I was happy, and the gun store owner was happy. I don't miss the Standard Auto, it was never accurate.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:55 AM   #13
BoogieMan

Quote:
When I was thirteen, nearly 63 years ago, a family friend who had fought in North Africa and Italy gave me a very clean, little-used Walther PP he had taken from a Wehrmacht officer who "no longer needed it". Had the late owner's name penciled inside the holster flap. When I was fourteen my dad interrupted a would-be burglar trying to steal it--it was a neighbor kid who knew I had it, though we couldn't prove it. My mother insisted on selling it. Took it to a pawnshop. The guy offered her fifteen bucks, and knowing nothing about guns, she took it
This has got to be one of the saddest gun stories I have ever herd. I actually shed a tear for you my friend.

My first handgun was a Beretta 96 with hogue grips, bought second hand a couple years after I got married. Its still in my nightstand keeping watch over my family.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 6, 2013, 12:53 PM   #14
glenncal1

First one I bought at the age of 21 1977, S&W model 48-4, still have it still have it still shoot it.

First one I shot, S&W .22 Outdoorsman, purchased by my great grandfather, still have it, still shoot it.

Take good care of your guns and they will take good care of you.

Many K and N Frames
Old May 6, 2013, 01:14 PM   #15
southjk

I bought a S&W 686-3 in 1990. My best friend and I both bought the same gun at the same time and I still have mine and he sold his. Every time I see him he asks if I want to sell mine. Not a chance.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:27 PM   #16
Dragline45

I don't have a first as I bought two at the same time, one was a Ruger 22/45, the other was a S&W 60 3" for carry. Still have the 22/45 and shoot it all the time, I sold the 60 a few years back as I am not a fan on .357 in a snub. It was a damn nice gun, but just didn't fit my needs anymore.
Old May 6, 2013, 03:40 PM   #17
GyMac

As a 17 year old, a Ruger Blackhawk with a 6 1/2 inch barrel in .357. A short time later, a S&W Model 19 Combat Magnum. Then I wised up and got a Colt New Frontier in .22. It allowed me to shoot and learn how to shoot. The others are gone (regrettably the S&W), but the Colt New Frontier remains. My son and daughter took their first shots with it.
Old May 6, 2013, 03:46 PM   #18
Old_Dog

Colt Detective Special. Finally found one this year and it was not as good as I remembered it. The trigger was horrible and I did not like the exposed extractor rod and grips. Sometimes memories are best left as memories. I am not the sentimental type that likes a gun that is dated. I want the best tools with the latest features whether it is a gun or TV. Not typical for a man my age as I live in a retirement community where time ended 20 or 30 years ago.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:12 PM   #19
csmsss

Ruger P-85. I will always be grateful to that pistol for teaching me everything a pistol should not be.
Old May 6, 2013, 04:45 PM   #20
Sharpsdressed Man

Spreewerk German P-38. It was 1966, and it cost $55 of hard earned lunch money. Traded a year or two later for A Mossberg 351c .22 carbine.
Old May 6, 2013, 09:52 PM   #21
2ndsojourn

I inherited several guns at the same time from my grandfather. The first one I picked up was a FN Hi Power. So I guess that one is my first.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:50 AM   #22
Chowder

Mine was a Taurus model 66, 1993 production according to Taurus. Not the fanciest of firearms and doesn't compare to my S&W, but it was utterly reliable and was good looking to boot. If I find one just like it I would have to buy it.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:41 AM   #23
okiewita40

My first Handgun was a S&W sigma.40cal. Got stolen while I away overseas. Just replaced it with a G19.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:42 AM   #24
22-rimfire

Quote:
rimfire thats funny i just tracked down a 999 even though I have better revolvers! They are SO neat.
Venom, I won't deny that they are neat revolvers. I didn't know much of anything about revolvers or handguns at all when I bought that H&R 999. I thought sights working loose and spitting lead and gun powder was normal. I learned. I basically had a dog and didn't know enough to even realize it unltil I took it to a gunsmith and he explained things to me.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:17 PM   #25
LynnTX

My first was a Beretta semiauto 22LR compact (don't recall actual model number). I bought it from an ex police officer for $20 about 1970 because he was in need of money at the time.

I later sold it during a time of hardship of my own - sigh!

My second was a Taurus .357 model 65 revolver with 4"" barrel. I still have it.