The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 25, 2007, 11:43 PM   #1
teesh

bead sight or ghost ring sight for HD

Which should I buy? Don't have a HD shotgun but that issue will be resolved very shortly. My concern right now is which sight system to buy? For that matter, maybe the 870 doesn't come optional with a ghost ring but the 590 does. I've thought about going the massively cheap route and just getting the 500 persuader in the 6 shot 18.5 inch barrel setup but I want to hear from the folks who have or had both.....which is better for HD. It may ride in the boat or the vehicle/trailer as well. The number of rounds it holds is less important to me than the barrel length. I prefer the 18 or 18.5 inch setup. Looked at the cheap (price wise) persuader as well as the 870 XCS Marine Magnum ($$$). The 870 MM is sweet. The price isn't the issue but I don't like the tactical look of the Benelli. No breakdown stocks or pistol grip for me either. Full synthetic or wood stock is what I want.

So which sight system is regarded as the best for HD? What are my options if I was to elect ghost rings? Does Remington have them? Can ghost rings or beads sights be replaced with anything tritium?
Thanks.
Old December 30, 2007, 08:38 PM   #2
teesh

WOW...........

No responses or opinions one way or the other, huh?

Would have thought those that were really into the SD shotguns would likely have had both and had an opinion based on experience.

Darn it............I'm not sure which to get, bead sight or ghost ring?
Old December 30, 2007, 09:37 PM   #3
L-2

You had several questions spread throughout your message. I suspect it was hard for persons to determine exactly what your questions are and why you can't decide for yourself.
1. "Which should you buy?"
That's a personal choice for you and, being the first sentence of your thread, it's unknown as to what items are in the list in which to select.
2. "My concern right now is which sight system to buy?"
That's a statement, not a question. My shotguns, which are all HD/combat-type, all have ghost ring sights. I find I'm more accurate where I'd need to use slugs instead of 00-buck, which for me is beyond 15 yards.
3. "So which sight system is regarded as the best for HD?"
None are considered best, it's personal preference. Some prefer just a bead; others rifle-type sights; I have ghost ring sights on all my shotguns.
4. "What are my options if I was to elect ghost rings?"
You'd have the option of what the manufacturer already supplies or you could have ghost ring sights added on afterward. Adding them on afterward may be cost time and money, including purchasing the sights (~$150+); sending a gun to a gunsmith or bringing it in ($50); and the actual work, which may include refinishing the barrel (~$200), although, epoxying the front sight on may be good enough. The receiver may need to be drilled and tapped, too. I've found it preferable to buy the gun with the sights already mounted.
5. "Does Remington have them?"
Yes. See www.remingtonle.com for models which come with rifle or ghost ring sights and with 18.5 or 20" barrel lengths.
6. "Can ghost rings or beads sights be replaced with anything tritium?"
Yes. Here are some companies with aftermarket sights: http://www.xssights.com/store/shotgun.html
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/sa_traklock.asp
https://www.vangcomp.com/gun_accessories.html

While shotguns are considered to be "versatile" in that it can fire slugs or shot; can be used for hunting or home defense, especially with a shorter barrel; they may not be ideal. Some people may rather just grab a carbine of some caliber and be deadly out to a longer range without having to select what ammo to use. Also, a handgun to backup the long gun is generally recommended. OTOH, it's nice to be able to put 9 pellets into one's target/threat, at close range, with one pull of the trigger, then still be able to hit something out at 100 yards by changing to a slug.

Have fun shopping and let us know what you end up getting!
Old December 30, 2007, 10:06 PM   #4
Slopemeno

For HD, a plain bead will work fine. The longest straight-line I've ever had in any home had been 50', and at those ranges a bead will do it.
Old December 30, 2007, 10:30 PM   #5
Hawg

IMHO you won't need sights for home defense, just point and pull.
Old December 30, 2007, 10:56 PM   #6
teesh

L2,

Sorry the question was so difficult for you to understand.
Old January 2, 2008, 08:38 AM   #7
Desert01

I don't have the sheet with me, but look for the Mossberg 590 with the 5+1, 18 1/2" barrel w/GRS. You can add a Vang Comp +1 extension and you have a very nice 6+1 shotgun.

This model is not listed on the web site and is mainly sold through LE distributors, but you should be able to find one.
Old January 2, 2008, 09:05 AM   #8
Charles S

Quote:
IMHO you won't need sights for home defense, just point and pull.
I disagree. At room distances (I calculated 25 feet) the spread is typically no more than 8 inches + or - a couple of inches with buckshot in a cylinder bore barrel, it is quite possible for an individual to miss.

I prefer a bead for home defense. I like a tritium bead with a light on the gun. I am looking for speed not precession in a shotgun. I find I can easily place slugs in the A zone to 50 yards with a bead that covers all home scenarios.

If you plan on shooting longer distances than a ghost ring or rifle sights are the way to go. One can be reasonably accurate (with practice) to 100+ yards with good sights and good slugs.

One note, pattern the loads you are looking at and make your choice based upon your guns performance with those loads and your needs.

Good luck.
Old January 2, 2008, 09:21 AM   #9
Musketeer

Let's see... I use my HD shotgun, with a longer barrel, for trap on the weekends. When I shoot trap I focus on the front sight along the barrel as soon as I pick up the weapon and shoulder it. From that point on I shift my focus to the area I will be shooting again and never focus on the sight again until the next time I shoulder the arm. With that method I manage to reliably hit a small fast moving clay.

I see no reason to change the way I shoot my shotgun 99.9% of the time when it works.

Bottom line is the site doesn't matter a hill of beans within the house. The question is, how often do you practice with that weapon to be able to know you can hit with it?

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old January 2, 2008, 09:23 AM   #10
Musketeer

Longer than inside the house ranges would mean a site should be used... I just don't see much cause for me to be in a HD shooting where I have a shotgun outside my home.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old January 2, 2008, 02:40 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have never had the opportunity to fire a shotty with sights... I will say that I can load a slug any day of the year and step onto my back porch, shoulder my 500 18.5 and sight down the barrel to the bead for 2 seconds and put the slug within 4 inches of POA at 40 yards... In the home with 00buck I think that equals a big dang hole in the COM of the BG intruder!
Brent
Old January 3, 2008, 02:28 AM   #12
chris in va

People go overboard with all the tacticool stuff put on HD shotguns.

Get a 500 combo kit with 18" and 28" barrels for ~$260. No need for extended magazines, lights, lasers, grips, sights or all that other nonsense.

6 rounds of 00 buck is more than enough.
Old January 3, 2008, 04:15 AM   #13
cabbynate

Quote:
No need for extended magazines, lights, lasers, grips, sights or all that other nonsense.
I don't no. I like the idea of having a light. Better to see what I'm shooting at. I would hate to shoot my roommate!!
Old January 3, 2008, 05:54 AM   #14
Rob96

I was just in this same quandry so I went to the store to see which I liked better. For me the bead was faster when shouldering the weapon. For slugs I have always been good at placing them out to 50-65 yds. Trick is you just have to find which slug fires best from your gun. Just like you have to test for which buckshot patterns from your gun.
Old January 3, 2008, 06:21 AM   #15
Desert01

I have it now, 18" 590's, 5+1:

51410-1 bead sight, Speedfeed stock
51411-8 bead sight, synthetic stock Personal choce
51517-8 Ghost Ring Sight, synthetic stock
51518-4 Ghost Ring Sight, Speedfeed stock

Down side to the 590's is they do not have any sporting barrels if you want to make a combo later.
Old January 3, 2008, 07:58 AM   #16
Rob96

Quote:
51411-8 bead sight, synthetic stock Personal choce
The numbers you list don't match up with the Mossy website, but I agree with your choice.
Old January 3, 2008, 02:34 PM   #17
rem870hunter

rifle sights or bead?. i would prefer rifle sights. i thought on buying a bead sighted 18.5" barrel for my 870 express. i didn't, i do have a bead sighted 20" barrel for my older wingmaster. i can change barrels and use a vent rib for hunting small game, waterfowl or bust clays. with the ghost ring sights. you are limited to that sight setup. the receiver has to be drilled and tapped. the rear sight installed. and once its on its on. i don't know if the holes go all the way through the receiver or not. the ghost rings look really nice. but not for me. if i was to buy a ghost ring sighted shotgun. i would want a screw in choke barrel. i don't want to be stuck with cyl. or imp. cyl. fixed choke. which is typically what they have. if you are only using it for HD then get what is most comfortable. the ghost rings should be just as accurate as the rifle sights. i haven't had the pleasure of firing a ghost ring sighted shotgun.

either way you decide be sure to pattern it and practice, practice until it becomes like part of you.
Old January 9, 2008, 12:49 PM   #18
mike4

teesh , the 870's great but you will definately find the action of the 500 persu alot smoother. alot smoother. never had a slight jam with my 500. the 870marine mag isw a bit sticky but still nice. i think it just needs to be handled forcefully. the 500 you can lightly rack and it cycles EVERYTIME. if you really want to be confident put a red dot scope on a nelli m4 and a bandolier on your weak shoulder (1/2 slugs 1/2 00b) the m4 eats it all. never shot off 9 rds as fastas i did last week with the m4. best tactical sg ever biult...can go on and on. maybe benelli will get into the tactical handgun biusness someday. but i digress. ghost ring sights on the m4 , bead on the 500 and 870 . actually the supernova tactical is a very comfortable/reliable/cheap platformfor a hd sg.love mine. so out of all the sg's ive handled , the 500(not counting semi's) actually cycles the smoothest. 500 persuader is a great feeding sg.
Old January 13, 2008, 01:17 AM   #19
teesh

Thank you very much for those recent replies.
Old January 13, 2008, 08:11 PM   #20
Eghad

For an older guy with so-so vison like me I might go the ghost ring route.

NRA Life Member
Old January 14, 2008, 07:06 PM   #21
Streaker

Mossberg 500 here with the bead site at present.
I'm having the ghost rings installed by a gunsmithing friend mostly for the misses but I do like em as well.
I think it boils down to what your most comfy with but you will get used to whatever you have if you use it often enough.
Old January 21, 2008, 01:39 PM   #22
jonsparks

You might want to look into a Norinco(Hawk) 982. I got mine for
$170 and it's great. The ghost rings are awesome. I believe it's better
than an Express for alot less.
Old January 21, 2008, 11:05 PM   #23
Greg Bell

I think the ghost ring sights are worth the money. They really make the shotgun more versatile. Plus, if you shoot ARs or M1As you will have some commonality.
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2