The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 7, 2006, 09:04 AM   #26
Bullshooter

Back in "the day"...

Although my memory, among other things, isn't what it used to be I seem to remember that when my battalion mounted up to depart RVN, they were real aggressive about "war trophies". Long rambling missives were sent from up on high detailing what and what could not be transported home. There were also detailed memos about "de-wat'ing" firearms. I do clearly remember sitting on a C141 at Elmendorf AFB while a US Customs crew debated searching the aircraft and personal baggage of everyone aboard. The OIC finally told them that if they wanted to delay the plane any longer, they could climb aboard and tell everyone why their return to CONUS was being held up - that pretty much ended the incident. I remember that we had more problems with troops bringing back US items (ammo, grenades, etc.) than foreign items. Don't get me started on the "amnesty boxes that everyone had to go through on departure...
Old September 19, 2006, 11:16 PM   #27
3 weelin geezer

Mikeyboy

Quote:
2. Smuggling the firearms back through military conveyances or through any other method, while on duty with the Armed Forces is a CRIME, and subjects you to severe punishments under the UCMJ.

Is that just full autos or firearms in general? Looking at the about of WWII era Lugers floating around in the US I'm assuming this was not enforced regularly back then.

You cant bring back say 100 enemy berets either. Ya, thats right. Its classified as pillaging to get so many hats even though they aren't exactly dangerous. The worst that can happen is you get lice but hey, its someone's property and you can only wear so many at one time . I think you can't take bayonets either but I could be wrong. There was some colonel I think that tried to bring back several dozen ak's in a trailer and got kicked out and locked up. What a waste. I believe he only had like 3 years to retire. Now he is an E-(-1) keeping someone warm in jail. He probably would have gotten away with just one. Doesn't pay to be greedy I guess. I think they should allow gi's to bring back something if they want. Hell, they leave their lives 'there' sometimes. Should be some kind or reward if you make it back.