The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 12, 2006, 03:00 PM   #26
threegun

Loaded tube in my safe. Chamber empty hammer down safety off. The kids force the extra diligence. My Glocks reside in stack-on quick access lock boxes. One in the bedroom and one in the living room.
Old April 18, 2006, 03:16 AM   #27
leadcounsel

No kids or wife. Frequent girlfriend sleepovers. Alert dog sleeps between my bed and the bedroom door. I'm a light sleeper.

I keep a loaded .40 5" Glock, extra mags, flashlight and KBar in my nightstand. Accessible within seconds. Cell phone and light switches are also immediately accessible. Can give knife or phone to girlfriend.

I have a massive fire and burglary resistant floorsafe at the foot of my bed. At night I open it completely and have access to an modest arsenal of guns, ammo and a kevlar vest (I obviously lock it during the day; if there were an emergency like a fire it would take less than 2 seconds push it shut and turn the lever). If I had a few extra moments to arm myself, I could retrieve body armor for self, shotgun or AR15 for self and revolver for girlfriend. Shotgun has full tube, 5 shots in sidesaddle, safety off, and empty chamber. AR15 has full 30 rd magazine (with many others ready) empty chamber, fire selector in "fire" position.

If flight is necessary, I'm on the ground floor and bedroom window can be opened and egress in under 30 seconds.

Soon I will install further measures to secure my bedroom including a solid door, rebar reinforcements, etc. But that's a project for another day.

As it stands, I'm very comfortable that I'm prepared for nearly any burglary. If I'm not there all of my valuables are locked up. If I'm home they BG is in for one hell of a surprise.
Old April 18, 2006, 08:26 AM   #28
BADMAN400

Moss persuader in corner near bed, 7 in the tube, chamber empty, safety off. XD-40SC loaded w/gold saber HP on night stand.
Old April 18, 2006, 10:21 PM   #29
axslingerW

Having a "special" child, i never leave a loaded or unlocked gun in my house. If not on my body or in my hand it is unloaded and locked. I do keep the magazines loaded for my sigma, and have two large, loud dogs. I can go from deep sleep to loaded pistol in about 10 seconds. It would be difficult to get into my house before I am ready. The only shotgun I own is a single shot 12ga, so I lean more towards my pistols for hd.
Old April 19, 2006, 09:45 AM   #30
Rickstir

I have a small love seat within two steps of my bed. It has removeable back cusions. I slip the 870, fully loaded safety on, behind the seat cusions and place the back cusions on top of that. You can sit on the sofa and not know there is a shotgun there. Plus I love the irony of hiding a shotgun in a love seat!
Old April 19, 2006, 06:19 PM   #31
rock71

rack ready.

Fill the magazine (4 rounds in a stock tube).
Barely crack the slide open.
Check the chamber (visually and physically)
Check the chamber again.
Point in a safe direction and pull the trigger.

Now you have a loaded, but safe, gun. Just rack the slide and you are in business. Plus, you have SOME protection against a negligent discharge.
Old April 19, 2006, 11:06 PM   #32
Doggieman

;)

12 ga under the edge of my mattress, 4-6 shells of #1 buck in the tube, none in the chamber, safety off.
Old April 19, 2006, 11:35 PM   #33
XD-Ro

Within arms reach at night....

5 - 2 3/4 #4 in the tube, empty chamber, safety on.

5 Remington 00 reduce recoil on side saddle.

Rack the slide, safety off, and i'm ready to rock.

XD9 in nightstand draw with 16rds of 124gr+p Gold dots next to my cellphone for the old lady
Old April 20, 2006, 01:43 AM   #34
thatguyjosh

Sorry for the noob question, but what do you guys mean by "empty chamber, hammer down?"
Old April 20, 2006, 05:28 PM   #35
seeker_two

Stoeger Coach Gun (hammerless SxS) 12ga leaning against the wall b/t my side of the bed & the nightstand. Chambers empty & firing pins down. Butt cuff holds three 00 buck & two slugs and the slip-on buttpad has two more 00 buck tucked inside for the initial load. A paper towel lightly tucked into each barrel (like a hankerchief in a suit) to protect against bugs & dust (& if I get the sniffles... )

Also have a bandolier of buck & slug (w/ flashlight & multi-tool attached) near my K-38 in the nightstand.

Almost needed it the other night. My two indoor dogs heard a strange noise at the same time I did. The male began barking and raced out of the bedroom. I gave the Stoeger to my wife & took the K-38, a double speedloader pouch, & another flashlight to investigate. Turned out to be the icemaker, but I'm glad my reflexes & "Daddy's Little Target Indicator" work so well...
Old April 20, 2006, 07:51 PM   #36
Doggieman

hammer down

if you have no shell in the chamber, you can pull the trigger to release the firing pin. This means you don't have to push the slide release to rack it to get a shell in the chamber if you're in a hurry. My dad says it also releases the tension on the spring. I don't do it because I don't like dryfiring my weapons and because I like the slight added safety of the release button. Many people don't know how to use it or where it is if they're unfamiliar with shotguns.
Old April 20, 2006, 09:09 PM   #37
Inverness11

Hammer down, 4 rounds of 00 buckshot in the tube, 5 rounds 00 buck on butt cuff, locked in safe (stack-on type cabinet) with hidden key within reach.
Old April 20, 2006, 09:34 PM   #38
shamus005

under my pillow...

Old April 20, 2006, 11:44 PM   #39
Doggieman

butt cuff just sounds wrong