The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 9, 2008, 11:09 AM   #1
ocharry

inline rifles

well guys i have a question for you all

i been shooting and using black powder for a loooong time,,,and i have killed a pile of deer with patch and ball,,and so i have a hard time with the NEW FANGLED stuff

but a fella at work is trying to get his TC Omega to shoot,, and he is using power belt bullets and pellets,,,,what ever that means,,,now i have looked at these and they look like copper jacket bullets,,,,and the pellets,,what the hell is that????

well yesterday he told me he was getting lead out of his barrel when he cleaned it,,,i guess since i haven't seen one of these power belt bullets except in pix of them,,,,how is he getting lead in the bore of his rifle????

now i am not bashing these rifles or the guys that are using them,,,i know they are the THING,,,,just not for me,,,,,i just don't get where the lead is coming from with these bullets

he wants to get this gun to shoot accurately at 200+ yards,,,,ok that is do able,,,and he says he has to clean every shot,,, or after two he can't get the bullet down the barrel with out a lot of trouble

sounds like the fire is to hot to me,,,so i told him to try some of the lead bullets with the grease on them and some loose powder,,this gun has a 1-28 twist,,,so those TC maxi balls or the buffalo bullets should fly ok,, they are in the same weight range,,,only the bullet is on the bore and the have some grease on them to keep the fouling soft

he is asking me and i told him i was a traditional shooter and so i don't know how much i could help,,cuzz i don't know anything about these new fangled guns and bullets,,,,and these pellet things

so fellas,,any thing you can tell me to help this guy out????,,,i already told him to get a real muzzle loader,,,he laughed a little and said,,,"well i do have a muzzle loader",,,so i just smiled and kept my mouth shut

ocharry
Old October 9, 2008, 11:14 AM   #2
Fingers McGee

Quote:
????,,,i already told him to get a real muzzle loader,,,he laughed a little and said,,,"well i do have a muzzle loader",,,so i just smiled and kept my mouth shut
That would be my reaction to him also.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old October 9, 2008, 11:16 AM   #3
Wild Bill Bucks

A 1 in 28 barrel is made for saboted bullets and probably won't shoot conicals very well. If he is getting lead out of his barrel from shooting a jacketed bullet, his rifelings must be cutting through the copper jacket. I am not a great fan of the .50 caliber power belt bullets, although others have had success with them. I would suggest to him to get some sabots from MMP and some 250 - 300 grain Hornady .45 caliber bullets, and see if he isn't pleased going that route.

Tell him to sign up to the forum, and he can get all the help he needs.
Old October 9, 2008, 11:24 AM   #4
crowbeaner

I can help. Try some Hornady or Knight high speed sabots with a 240 grain or heavier 44 or 45 pistol bullet made from hard lead. Drop down to 2 pellets and try different bullets until the rifle will hold 1 inch 3 shot groups at 50 yards(mine will). THEN try the 3 pellet load. Failing that, try the 30 grain pellets which can be added up to the 150 grain max. Sometimes 150 is JUST TOO MUCH for the machining on the gun. 4 (30) grainers is 120 and maybe the gun will stabilize with that charge. I have shot the Powerbelts, and they simply don't impress me with their sometime lack of accuracy. A friend has been trying to get his T/C to shoot them, and he finally listened and tried my loads. He is now one happy shooter, and saving money shooting my hardcast bullets instead of the Powerbelts. Sure they look kewl, but they might not be compatible with the rifle and pellet count. Not everything is really "NEW AND IMPROVED". Just marketing. Jim Shockey uses Noslers; try them too. Remember that BP barrels take awhile to break in; use Bore Butter for a bit of lube and the process will be sped up.
Old October 9, 2008, 12:48 PM   #5
Pahoo

Pretty much have to go with what crowbeaner has suggested except that on the In-Lines, I pretty much stay with loose 777 at 90 to 95 grains. Keep in mind that most of my deer shooting is under 60yds. but did take one at 150. Also try a bore button or wonder wad over the powder load. Maxi-Balls are okay but like the group of the Buffalo conicals better. I also like the Maxi-Hunters but they drop off pretty fast. My love is in all M/L's but my passion is in "Side-Cockers" . However, "I never tell a man what to do with his money or his wife"

Be Safe
Old October 10, 2008, 07:34 AM   #6
bejay

while just switching to loose powder should be a major improvement even for the powerbelt bullets, just need to shoot several groups at differnt powder charges to see wich one is more accurate would probably start around 80 grains and go up in 10 grain increments wouldnt even bother going over 110
he would probably preffer the flatter trajectory of the lighter saboted bullets versus the heavy 50 cal bullets but they can be accurate also out of most inlines.
Old October 16, 2008, 08:23 PM   #7
crowbeaner

Game report. My load and CVA inline put a button buck in the freezer Monday. I beaned him at 20 yards; DRT. No meat loss, tender vittles, and I didn't have to drag him far. Good for the 100% disability. My load is: 100 grains Pyrodex RS powder, Hornady 240 grain swaged SWCHP at .430" diameter, Hornady Black hispeed sabot, CCI #11 Magnum caps with a CVA stainless Perfect Nipple. I have a Tasco World Class 3x9 scope sighted in dead on center at 50 yards with Weaver bases and rings. This combo put 3 shots in 1 1/4" at 100 yards 2 weeks ago at the range.
Old October 17, 2008, 01:09 PM   #8
Pahoo

crowbeaner
Congratulations on your buck and looks like you are getting great performance on your "Shot String". I would ask you if you are using pellets or loose powder? Thanks for the report!!

Be Safe !!!
Old October 17, 2008, 03:26 PM   #9
BigV

My guess is he is not seeing lead, but plastic build up from the powerbelt. The powerbelt uses an undersize projectile with a plastic “skirt” mounted to it. When the gun is fired the plastic expands to engage the rifling thus stabilizing the projectile. The plastic falls away soon after leaving the barrel. Powerbelts are known for ease in loading especially after a second or third shot, but the buildup caused by the plastic can be a problem. “Pellets” are merely synthetic powder pressed onto shape that easily slides down the barrel. They come in 50, 30 and 10 grain increments. They work well for fast reloads but are know to very as much as 10% in weight therefore are not as accurate as using loose powder.

Have your friend try different combinations of bullets and powder until he finds the combination that works best for him. I shoot .50 cal and use 130 grains of 777 with a 240 grain powerbelt. That combination works well for me, but may not be the best for him.

By the way, I shoot traditional and in-line. I have a custom made .45 cal Kentucky long rifle that was made for my father and passed down to me. I also have a TC Hawkin in .50 as well as a couple of in-lines. I enjoy shooting all of them.
Old October 19, 2008, 12:27 PM   #10
ocharry

well he is supposed to be shooting it this weekend,,,guess i'll know tomorrow

BigV,,the plastic was my first thought,,,but he says no,,it is definitely lead

i gave him a pound of powder to try,,,,,i'm kinda curious to see what happens

i will keep you all posted,,,i told him about all the different recipes you guys have posted here so he should have plenty to work with

thanks

cograts there crowbeaner on the buck in the freezer

ocharry
Old October 19, 2008, 07:59 PM   #11
crowbeaner

Pahoo; I'm using Pyrodex RS powder 90-100 grains depending. My RCBS 44-240-SWC shoots best over 90, and the Hornady 240 swaged SWCHP over 100. That isn't the only game I took last week; I shot the noggin off a grey squirrel at 40+ yards with 1 shot. It surely impressed the game cop when he saw it. He was amazed that a .50 could be that accurate. I told him that my dedicated squirrel load was much, much less, but he thought that was a great shot nonetheless. CB.
Old October 20, 2008, 10:47 AM   #12
Pahoo

Again, great performance with what I consider minimal expense. Your "shot string" is simular to mine except that I have switched to a musket primer. Just easier to handle. Thanks for the report and very good information for folks, that are looking at a good practical load. I use to hunt squirrels with my .50 as that was all I had and used it for deer practice. I then went to a .32 and will soon step up to a .36. Again, thanks for the information !!

Be Safe !!!