The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 30, 2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Pastordee

What scope for Rem .270

I am a total newbie when it comes to scopes and centerfire rifles, but my son gave me a Rem 700 bdl in .270 with a 22 inch barrel nib. And I am interested in medium range target shooting, maybe coyotes too. My question to the forum is what is a good workable optic? My eyesight is not great, I wear bifocals etc.
I probably can't come close to outshooting the gun and I am on a very limited budget.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Old December 30, 2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Cowboy_mo

Good news for you!

When you go to a scope, the bifocal problem becomes history. You won't need the magnifier to clearly see the crosshairs.

For close to medium range shooting, up to 300 yds at reasonable size targets I would recommend a 3 x 9 x 40 scope. The brand name would be dependent on your budget for this purchase. The scope on my .270 is a Nikon prostaff which runs less than $200. The scope on my 30-06 is a Minox which is in the 200-300 range. The scope on my .243 is a Pentax that ran about 125. All 3 are very clear and have been successful taking deer, coyotes, and punching paper out to 250 yds.

Sit back and get ready for lots of recommendations. Enjoy your entry into the shooting sports
Old December 30, 2012, 09:33 PM   #3
reynolds357

The best deal going right now, but ending tomorrow (DEC 31st) is the Zeis conquest.
Old December 30, 2012, 09:46 PM   #4
Pastordee

Thanks

Thanks Cowboy
I appreciate the info, the Nikon with some good rings will prob be my best shot.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:45 PM   #5
solocam72

I highly recommend you take a look at the redfields, the revolution is the higher end and made here in the USA, a division of leupold & stevens, the revenge is the lower end import model. Both are backed by leupold, I own both and really like them! I even chose the redfield binoculars over the leupold brand name mojave, I hunt in about every harsh condition you can imagine and these products have not failed me
Old December 30, 2012, 11:02 PM   #6
reynolds357

Right now a 3X9 revolution is only 100 cheaper than a 3x9 Conquest.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:07 PM   #7
boattale

Spend $300 on a 3x9 and what brand of scope you get won't matter. That and you'll never be wrong with Leupold.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:18 PM   #8
jmr40

How much you wanna spend? On the bottom rung of the ladder of acceptable are the Nikon Prostaff scopes for around $160 or so. I used to recommend the Redfield when they were @ around $160. They are still a good scope, but are $200 now. Same story with Nikon Buckmaster, Burris Fulfield II and the Vortex Diamondback. They are all good scopes, but if you're going to spend $200 the Leupold VX-1 is a far better scope at the same price point.

As a side note. This only applies to current production VX-1's. Older versions made prior to 2012 would be about equal to the Nikon, Redfield, Burris or Vortex.

Moving up to the $300 level a VX-2 is as much scope as I will ever need. Leupold upgraded both VX-1's and VX-2's for 2012 and the difference is remarkable. My new VX-2 is a better scope than my Zeiss or VX-3's that are 4-5 years old. The Nikon Monarchs are good scopes optically. I don't like some other features they have, but the glass is very clear. Same with Zeiss Conquest.

You can spend more money, but few shooters will ever need or can even use the very small diferences in the more expensive scopes. Dropping down to the sub-$200 scopes is a bad idea in my experience. They work well enough and a lot of guys are satisfied with them, but for just a few dollars more you can do much better.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:25 PM   #9
solocam72

Wow! The redfields must have gone up since I bought mine? I got a 30.00 mail in rebate each on both of mine, I paid 200.00 for my revolution 3x9, 170.00 after rebate, I paid 140.00 for the revenge 3x9, 110.00 after rebate. They were definately worth every penny i paid for them!
Old December 30, 2012, 11:31 PM   #10
big al hunter

My grandma lives out in your area. You might get some very long shots on coyote. I would recommend a 4-12x40. The extra magnification comes in handy on smaller targets at long range. You may also benefit from a BDC reticle. You will have to practice, but thats part of the fun. Enjoy that new rifle.
Old December 30, 2012, 11:40 PM   #11
reynolds357

Right now, for about 25 more hours, the Conquest is $299 after rebate. Regular price is $569.
Old December 31, 2012, 12:40 AM   #12
Pastordee

Super advice

Thanks all of you for the great info, I believevI learned a lot in a short time. Would like to take advantage of the price break on the conquest, but will have to wait a month or so, grankids got the extra dough I had for Christmas.
Mainly want to be able to hit at 250 to 300 yards but like the last post said , out here I may need to go with a tad more magnification to hit small stuff.
Just going to practice and have fun with my son who is an awesome marksman.
Old December 31, 2012, 12:48 AM   #13
solocam72

Pastordee, having fun is what its all about and a person don't have to break the bank to do so! I enjoy shooting clay pigeons just as much with a little 100.00 single shot H&R shotgun as I do with a high end 2500.00 browning xt trap gun. Get what you can afford and get out there with your son and have fun!
Old December 31, 2012, 01:04 AM   #14
Pastordee

Yeah you got it right, when iI used to pistol shoot out here there was a guy (a postal worker) who could outshoot fancy race guns with his 59 dollar Makarov and send everyone home shaking their heads.
Old December 31, 2012, 10:27 AM   #15
taylorce1

You can still pick up new Redfield 3-9x40 duplex reticle for $150 and a 4-12X42 for $190 online. The are getting scarce however at that price. The Nikon Prostaff or Buckmasters are another good option as well.
Old December 31, 2012, 11:11 AM   #16
solocam72

I know this is off topic but can't resist, I use to shoot a lot of trap and being a guy that likes to be in the pack with top notch gear I bought a brand new browning xt trap gun and paid around 2500.00 for it then I bought briley extended choke tubes so I could look the part with the rest of the big boys, but in all honesty I shot that little 100.00 single shot H&R topper 12 gauge just as well, my best score was at a registered pita shoot and I broke 97 out of 100, I shot lots of 25 straights with that little single shot, I use to LOVE to get on the trap line and shoot against the 'big boys' with there 20,000.00 kriegohfs, lujtics, perrazis and such, if they didn't know who I was and hadn't shot with me before most would look at eachother and smurk when we stepped to the line, I would usually get asked a lot of questions after the round (exception of the few proud ones that walked away) I shot for fun and rarely competed, will also freely admit that my shooting went down hill when I did compete, the problem was mental, I would get caught up in the 'I GOTTA WIN ATTITUDE' when I did this the fun part went out the window along with my shooting! I say get a scope you can afford and enjoy yourself! If you end up really liking it save up and buy yourself a better scope down the road, I highly believe in good quality optics and try to go with the best I can afford, there is a HUGE difference in a leupold vs a simmons as an example, you can get a good quality scope for 200 to 250.00 that will last you a lifetime. Good luck with whatever you get and have fun with it!
Old December 31, 2012, 11:28 AM   #17
silvrjeepr

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynolds357 View Post
The best deal going right now, but ending tomorrow (DEC 31st) is the Zeis conquest.

Mine was delivered last Friday. WELL worth the money.
Old December 31, 2012, 06:21 PM   #18
Pastordee

Great stuff Solocam!
Would have loved to have been there to see you shoot that.
I agree it's like any thing else that when you start getting to that level where you are competing and everyone is super serious, you are either totally sold out and eat, sleep and drink it or forget about it and go have fun.
I greatly appreciate your advice and attitude my friend, have a great new years!
Old December 31, 2012, 09:08 PM   #19
SFW

I have the same rifle and have really loved the Nikon Buckmaster 3x9 that I have on it.
Old January 1, 2013, 12:43 AM   #20
Pastordee

I went to a shop today and looked at several that you all have mentioned and they all look and feel great, when some dough comes in next month hopefully I can snatch up one on line cause when you live in a rural area, hard to get bargains unless you shop online. I always try to support the local shops but sometimes they are way out of line on price, I am prepared to pay a bit more for the service but sometimes it's like list plus 5 or 10%.
Again thanks for the great info..
Next we will tackle bullet weight!
Old January 1, 2013, 01:24 AM   #21
solocam72

I would advise 130 grain bullets, I'm guessing you don't reload? You can get good factory ammo in 130 and 150 grain, 130 seems to be the most preferred in the .270 win, if you reload you obviously would have more bullet weight options up to like a 160 grain, if you are just planning to target shoot for fun I would try some different brands in 130 grain and see what your rifle likes best, you might find that a 150 shoots better, you just have to try them out and see. Factory rifle ammo can get quite expensive especially if you buy premium ammo which would be more suited to big game hunting than target practice. If you try a certain brand (say remington for example) and they don't shoot well try other brands of the same bullet weight, just cause one brand don't shoot well in your rifle don't mean other brands of the same bullet weight won't. Good luck
Old January 1, 2013, 01:41 AM   #22
Pastordee

Thanks Solocam I plan on reloading eventually, because I know of my addictive tendency. I will have to do as you suggest and try different factory ammo first, seems like they work out a lot of stuff and see what the barrel likes, then move up to reloading soon after. I'm really excited to get this going, maybe the temp will get a little warmer it's five below here...
Old January 1, 2013, 07:35 AM   #23
solocam72

I hear ya about the weather, Its 10 degrees here this morning, gonna go ice fishing today, try out my new sled/shelter and ice auger. Gonna set out tip ups then get in the shack and get warm!.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:43 AM   #24
ak2323

I'd get a 3-9x40 Leupold and Leupold Rings.

Should be able to get both used for perhaps $200. Mine have taken some beatings that were not advisable. They still work and still hold a solid zero. The rings are not 'cheap' but they do define 'you get what you pay for'.
Old January 1, 2013, 07:09 PM   #25
Pastordee

Yes , used is an option if it's in good shape, and solid rings are a must.