The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
ibdecent

30-06 barnes tipped tsx load

Hello,

I'm planning on loading up some 168 grn barnes tipped tsx bullets for a buddy using reloader 19 (what I have and what the book lists) with some cci benchrest large rifle primers (what the store had). He was very slow on getting the gun to my house and deer season is a couple weeks away.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good load using this concoction. It will be shot out of a Rem 7600 pump with a 22" bbl.

Thanks in advance for the reply.
Brandon D.
Old October 25, 2009, 08:49 PM   #2
A_Gamehog

Two good leads for you

http://www.accuratereloading.com/30-06s.html

http://www.barnesbullets.com/images/...ngfieldWeb.pdf

I don't have access to my barnes books but this will get you started.
Old October 25, 2009, 08:53 PM   #3
Christchild

Well, while I can't give any FirstHand insight on 30-06 with those exact components... powder and primers, and .308" caliber...

I load .270 Win. with AA4350 and 110 grain TTSX. I believe RL19 is similar burn rate to the 4350 powders. I did NOT use Powder Charge data from the Barnes manual when I first loaded the TTSX, I used data from Hornady to find a lower powder charge for 110 grain bullets in .270 Win.

I've heard quite a few people say that they can't get even Half-Satisfactory groups with TTSX, but I have found them to be the Very Best.

I used 54.0 grains AA4350 (lower load out of Hornady manual for 110gr.), and used the C.O.A.L. from the Barnes manual for the MRX since it had the same Ogive and Tip, of 3.225".

The thing I've found with those bullets, is the faster I push them, the worse they shot.

When my Browning A-Bolt had the factory 22" barrel, this was the load that worked best. Since then, I've rebarreled that rifle with a 26" Douglas Air Gauge #4, and the same load is all I use. I wouldn't change it for the world. Since that load shot so well in the new barrel, I haven't even checked to see how far it is off the lands.......I don't care to know, with that bullet/load.

I'd say, look over Your data for 30-06 with 168 grainers and that powder, and start on the low end. I know that's how it's safely done, and should always be that, but Barnes uses higher powder charges, in all Rifle Cartridges that I've seen. This is just my experience.

I can, however, post data from the Barnes manual with those components, if the #4 Manual has that powder (it should)....If You'd like...
Old October 25, 2009, 09:10 PM   #4
ibdecent

I've gotten extremely good results with my wifes .270 loading it with 57.3 gr. rl-19 and tipped tsx 130 grn. it will key-hole all day at 100. it's a mod. 70 with a factory barrel.

Thanks, I have the manual. I was looking for a shortcut since I don't have a lot of time to develop them myself.
Old October 26, 2009, 09:31 PM   #5
crowbeaner

Try some IMR 4320 at 47.0 to 48.0 grains and a CCI 250 primer with your Barnes. If you like, try some WW 760; start with 51.0 and go up to 52.5 grains and a CCI 200. CB.