The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 16, 2011, 01:59 AM   #26
Sgt.Fathead

I have an old Mossberg Maverick 88 six shot with a four shot SpeedFeed stock on it and the heat shield over the barrel that I bought used from the Ocala Armory in FL years ago. It was a well worn police trade-in then. I added a side saddle but took it off, damn thing got in the way and confused the heck out of me. I prefer extra rounds on the stock or on me.

That gun has been to the range with me again and again and it always works, takes a bit of rough handling and abuse and works well. It was cheap, too!

I have lent the old thing to a friend with no HD gun, a single mom down in north Fort Worth and she handles it well, too. I now use a Mossberg 590A1 pistol grip model for HD here.

BUT! aside from that, I liked having my old double trigger SxS 12g Stoeger Coach Gun for HD. Simple, easy to use, short and maneuverable. I'd like to get a Double Defense with the much more HD-wise single trigger. Get a cheap Maverick and buy more ammo!
Old June 16, 2011, 08:01 PM   #27
Gehrhard

I love those breachers -- they are critically important for tactical entry roles. Everytime I have had to blow the knob or lock or both thru a door, or all the hinges off of one, I was just about to pull the trigger with the muzzle completely gas-sealed against the target and only remembered just in the nick of time to pull the gun back an inch. Whew! Those were close times.

Now, with a breacher barrel or screw in choke, I don't have to worry. My gun looks tacticool, warning evil-doers and making women swoon (that's what they do, right?) -- you can also use the pointier edges to massage your gums.

I love those breachers!

Hey Fathead;
Could you do pictures? I'm not as totally sure of the Maverick as you are but I don't think anyone could do better in principle than what you are talking about right there. You may be a former Marine, but today we promote you to the Rangers: lead the way!

Last edited by Gehrhard; June 16, 2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old June 19, 2011, 02:11 PM   #28
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDC24
One of the reasons why I've been looking at 20 gauge shotguns is that I don't have a whole lot of experience firing shotguns, and I don't want any flinching to hamper my shooting abilities.
If you get the 930 in any flavor, that most likely won't be a problem. The action tames recoil to a pussycat in comparison to a pump-gun. Mine has been fired with mostly 2¾" 00 buck against t-shirts with no flinching, even after 50 plus rounds in a session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gehrhard
JD;
The 930 SPX is not a 930! It is a dopey super-high-ghost-ring-sighted, too-low-stocked, gun that also has a developing reputation for being finicky and failures of various types, especially if it isn't COMPLETELY cleaned early and very often.
Hmmm....mine must have missed the memo that said it was supposed to be finicky. It has fired 6 types of ammo now, including #7½ target loads, all without one hiccup. It has proven itself to incredibly accurate and completely reliable, and the stock can be adjusted for rise and drop. Mine needed an adjustment and fits fine now. Don't know about you, but I clean all my guns used after a range session, especially the ones I use for defense. Don't really know if it's needed because It's never required it in the middle of a session, but that doesn't matter to me as it will be cleaned when I get home.

Tags
mossberg 500