The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 28, 1999, 04:12 PM   #1
Lonewolf69

Hi,

I'm a new member to this site and I just wanted to continue an older thread about the Gunvault...

I do appreciate everything which was said about the gun vault (Negative and Positive) but I just have one quick question to ask...

What if we started to think of the GUN Vault as a quick release holster for bedside use ONLY!!! I do understand that it is not as secure as a standard safe, I already have that.

You see I plan on using A REAL gun SAFE to store my firearms when on vacation, but the GUN VAULT will be used on a daily basis for quick draw, child proof device... Basically I guess it would be a SAFE quick draw holster...

With that in mind unless my 1 yr old can pick up a hammer and screwdriver.... well you get the picture...

I'm about ready to plunk down some cash for it, wanted to make sure I'm getting the right stuff...

BTW, this will be the new model wiht A/C power so the batteries HOPEFULLY won't be an issue...

Thanks in advance for your advice,

If anyone else has another suggestion to a quick release safe please let me know, I ruled out the Mossberg because I didn't like the angle/opening of door, I didn't couldn't find pictures at Palmer Security web site for the model mentioned in an earlier thread...!!!

whew, time to take a deep DEEP breath!!!! ;-)))))
Old July 28, 1999, 06:21 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

I am not sure if or what I might have contributed to the other thread on gunvaults, but I wil tell you that I have come to a moral decision against using that specific product.

I have watched their people at several trade shows and they constantly use Scare Tactics to try to intimidate people into using their product. Also, I have heard one highly placed person in their company allude to future regulation that might make products like theirs necessary. The implication was, "buy them now, before the price gouging starts."

At this point, I hold them one step about that locking magazine company whose main marketing tactic seems to be to get legislation passed supporting the use of their product.

Other than the ethical issues, I think the Gunvault is perfect for the bedside situation that you descirbe.
Old July 28, 1999, 07:46 PM   #3
Lonewolf69

Rob,

Thanks for telling me about their "marketing" strategy! This is unfair and very rude to say the least, I will think twice before I purchase their product... But I'm at a loss I haven't seen or heard of any OTHER product that will do the quick release option off hand do you know of any???

Thanks!
Old August 1, 1999, 08:45 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Was in a gunshop yesterday and saw something similar made by Canon. Don't know the website offhand though.
Old August 1, 1999, 09:07 AM   #5
Lonewolf69

Fal308,

Thanks for the tidbit, but I've crossed check with all the internet search engines for Guns, Canon, and safe...

You'll be surprised (maybe not!@!!!) :-))) at what comes up, however I did not find the safe you mentioned...

Maybe I'm spelling "Canon" incorrectly???!

Thanks for the info!!!

-Alex
Old August 2, 1999, 09:06 AM   #6
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Sorry, missed an "n" in Cannon. Using www.dogpile.com multi-search engine I received quite a few links to companies that sell Cannon safes. The company website is www.cannonsafe.com but there was only a home page, no information.
Old August 2, 1999, 09:56 AM   #7
Lonewolf69

Fal,

Thanks for the info... I'll check with my local shop to find out if they carry this stuff!
Old August 2, 1999, 03:44 PM   #8
Lonewolf69

Gary,

I saw the earlier thread and I did mention the Palmer setup in my orginal post, however I didn't see a picture of the unit on the web site at all... Do you happen to have a picture or know where on the web I could have a look to see what it looks like???

Thanks,!!!

-Alex
Old August 2, 1999, 04:24 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Check out the Palmer box I talked about in the old thread. It's got 3/16 thick steel body and door which is secured with a push button simplex lock.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt