The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 22, 2015, 09:46 AM   #1
reinert

Vintage M700 ADL scope ring height

Hello Forum Folks,

I just acquired a really nice, pre-warning, M700 ADL (LA, '06), with the high comb and cheek piece. I want to use Leupold rings and their one piece base for the scope, and was wondering what height would work the best for quick, comfortable line-up on a game animal; low or medium? I'm thinking medium because of the comb, but I'm just not sure if low may or may not be the better choice. I've also got a really nice vintage M8-6X Leupold scope that's going on the rifle, so the exit lens bell won't be an issue, I'm thinking. Suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

reinert
Old November 22, 2015, 01:00 PM   #2
SSA

Medium.
There's only 1/8" difference between lows and mediums.
Low Leupold standard rings on a 308 adl don't leave much clearance between the ocular bell and the bolt handle.
Old November 22, 2015, 03:09 PM   #3
reinert

Thanks for your post, SSA. I'm leaning pretty hard on the mediums.

reinert
Old November 23, 2015, 08:21 AM   #4
jrhilde

I've owned several 700's, two ADL's and at least three BDL's and I used the Weaver bases, [two screw notches in the front base and three in the rear], this gives you the most amount of fore and back placement of the rings---then a set of medium Leupold rings would be the perfect set up for my big bores---often, the front bell on the scope would just clear the barrel---
I always had to have the rear end of the scope directly above the center area of the low spot in the top of the stock to get the full scope picture as soon as the gun is "shouldered"--- John
Old November 23, 2015, 08:52 AM   #5
jmr40

Mediums will work, but unless the front objective is over 40mm lows would line up with my eyes better.

I'd also avoid any mounts that are windage adjustable unless I had to use them. They were popular 60-70 years ago when it was common to have the scope mounting holes drilled into receivers incorrectly. They were needed to get the scope lined up with the bore.

If you NEED them to correct that problem then you really need them. If your rifle isn't defective they are about the worst possible option.

The rifle you have isn't exactly a Classic rifle that really needs something correct for the period. It could have been made as recently as 10-15 years ago.
Old November 23, 2015, 09:07 AM   #6
cw308

A good cheekweld is important, as long as your bolt clears & your scope bell isn't hitting the barrel your good , The lower the better. You don't want your head raising off your cheek weld for a good sight picture. Most scopes are mounted to high. Set your eye relief with the clothes your shooting with ,whether coat or shirt.
Old November 23, 2015, 09:28 AM   #7
reinert

jrh, and all,

Thanks for the comments. I've got a synthetic stocked LA, ADL in '06 I've had for 16 years, also. It's got the molded-in cheek piece, which is much like the walnut carved one on the vintage ADL I just got. The synthetic ADL doesn't have the high comb as on my new/old rifle; if you know M700s, then you know what I'm talking about here, and so, my scope ring height question.

I use the standard Leupold 1 piece base with low standard rings on the syn-stocked ADL, and it works very well. I like the 1 piece base because I believe it adds rigidity to the action, and maybe gives me a little accuracy edge; dunno, just like the extra strength if nothing else. The syn-stocked ADL is quite comfortable to shoot set up this way. Killed my cow elk last month with it, too. Good gun.

My thoughts are that the high comb on the new/old ADL might need to have higher rings to compensate for the comb question for comfortably quick line-up when the moment of truth comes around. I'm going to stick with the Leupold base, and as SSA said, go medium, which I did. Went shopping yesterday and found the base and med. rings for 53 bucks, shipping included. It's good to be retired, and good to save a little $$ these days.

Happy Turkey Day to all, and God Bless our Vets,

reinert
Old November 23, 2015, 02:01 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Depends on the diameter of the objective lens. Assuming it's an M8-6x42mm you need to clear that 42mm.
Old November 23, 2015, 03:21 PM   #9
reinert

T.O.,

The scope going on my "new" ADL is an older model M8-6X36MM that's in very nice condition. If anything, it'll sit on the action a little higher than I'd usually like while using the medium rings; just gonna have to try it out to see how it works. The low rings on my syn-stocked ADL work just right with the M8-4X36MM glass set where I want it in the rings for my personal eye-relief needs. The long eye-relief in a Leupold scope is a wonderful thing.

reinert