The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 3, 2011, 05:38 PM   #1
BillyBeards

How often do YOU train with self defense rounds?

I am very new to shooting but I do enjoy going to the range and shooting very much. I don't think twice about putting 100+ rounds through my Glock 26 but today was the first time I shot Hollow Points.
I can notice the difference for sure between the FMJ and the HP and I was curious how often some of you shoot your self defense rounds?
Please keep in mind that I am very new to shooting and because of were I live I do not carry. This is only for home defense and range practice.

Thanks
Old December 3, 2011, 05:45 PM   #2
Deja vu

My home defense rounds are typical factory rounds. I shoot 357 magnum and I feel that any factory 125 grain JHP or SJHP is just fine.

I mostly shoot reloads but I typically load them to a similar level as factory ammo unless I am loading for hunting.

I shoot at least 1 box (50 rounds) every week end (unless I am out of town)

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...

Last edited by Deja vu; December 3, 2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old December 3, 2011, 05:48 PM   #3
orionengnr

I mostly shoot my own hand loads but I typically load them to a similar level to factory ammo.
Old December 3, 2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

Very rarely.

Once a year maybe.

Not as often as I should.

I shoot a lot of FMJ range ammo to make up for it.
Old December 3, 2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Shadi Khalil

I shoot about 3 times a month and probably go through 50 to 75 self defense rounds. Most of them are shot through my S&W 637 and a mag or two through a Sig. I usually use Winchester PDX .38 +P, Federal hydra shoks or Gold dots.
Old December 3, 2011, 06:02 PM   #6
Sleuth

I carry semi-autos, so reloads produce about the same recoil effects as self-defense rounds. Since I have ranges on my property, I shoot on average 2-3 times a week. I rarely shoot Factory self-defense ammo.
At about 10,000 rounds per year, they are just too expensive for no change in recoil/blast. Once I am sure they will work in my carry guns, I save the factory stuff.

Reloading = shoot more for less.
Old December 3, 2011, 06:10 PM   #7
MTT TL

With pistol about once a quarter I will shoot up the magazines and reload them as part of a range trip. The shotgun is fairly similar but I shoot less due to cost of the slugs being a bit higher than pistol rounds.

The rifle I shoot fairly often.
Old December 3, 2011, 08:42 PM   #8
Stevie-Ray

My carry ammo is all I put through my carry weapon on range trips, usually 50 rounds or so.
Old December 4, 2011, 07:28 AM   #9
Sparks1957

Since my SD guns are kept loaded at home, I'll run a magazine of my SD ammo through them when I get to the range, then switch to cheaper FMJ stuff, then load them back up with SD ammo before going home.

It not only gives me some practice with the ammo, it serves as a magazine function check too.
Old December 4, 2011, 09:22 AM   #10
BillyBeards

I forget that a lot of you guys reload so your cost is not as high. I went to Walmart for the first time to look for ammo and I was pleasantly surprised at the prices compared to the LGS I just came from. I'm still trying different types but I left myself one full magazines in the house of Hydra-Skok for now.
Either way it's funny trying out different rounds.
My wife says it's only a matter of time until I want to get into reloading. I've always worked on my own cars when I raced, I work on my guitars and amps, why should this be any different.
Old December 4, 2011, 10:49 AM   #11
FireForged

Heck, I carry Federal AE 9mm FMJ all the time.
Old December 4, 2011, 11:22 AM   #12
old bear

All of my range shooting, which is not as much as it could be, is done with my carry ammo.
Old December 4, 2011, 12:09 PM   #13
catnphx

Quote:
Sparks1957 said: Since my SD guns are kept loaded at home, I'll run a magazine of my SD ammo through them when I get to the range, then switch to cheaper FMJ stuff, then load them back up with SD ammo before going home.

It not only gives me some practice with the ammo, it serves as a magazine function check too.
Me too.
Kahr CW9 (w/ Kholster Crescent IWB)
Old December 4, 2011, 03:43 PM   #14
Sparks1957

Hehe, great minds think alike. Seriously though, I do recommend that people practice with their chosen SD ammo to know that it works well in your weapon, and to know its performance which will vary from your cheaper FMJ
Old December 4, 2011, 04:42 PM   #15
NYPD13

Carry load cycled twice a year with monthly practice using less expensive handloads. Since the fundamentals don't change regardless of ammunition choice I see no need to blow off $50 boxes of Gold Dots for practice.
Old December 4, 2011, 05:00 PM   #16
m&p45acp10+1

I reload so I load up some rounds that are similar to the expensive factory defense ammo. I shoot usualy at least once a week if not more, unless it is cold wet and crappy outside like it is right now.

Though I am cleaning up my reloading area so it is not that bad of a deal.
Old December 4, 2011, 05:20 PM   #17
gearhounds

The difference in recoil between the two (unless the FMJ rounds are green/frangible, or target rounds) will be neglible. I have no issue practicing with FMJ, and carrying HP ammo other times.
Old December 4, 2011, 06:42 PM   #18
Patriot86

Every other time I go to the range I will usually fully load a magazine with HD rounds, or half load two magazines with different brands. In .40 S&W I like Gold Dots, in 9MM I like HST and Crit Def. IMO it is VERY important you test your gun and often with whatever rounds you are trusting your life with. The gun is just the hammer, it is useless without the nail. I also can't tell you how many forums I have read here on TFL about gun X not liking JHP Y.
Old December 4, 2011, 07:32 PM   #19
Glenn Dee

On every range trip... After shooting what ever handgun or rifle I'm enjoying I'll always put a load, and a reload of self defense ammo through what ever self defense gun I'm carrying
Old December 4, 2011, 08:04 PM   #20
C0untZer0

About once every other month I'll put 9 rounds (loaded mag +1) through my primary.

Right now those have been Winchester PDX, but I'm going to start using Ranger T 147gr. Both of these rounds are really expensive, and I haven't noticed much of a difference in recoil between them and the 115 fodder I practice with.

So I don't shoot the more expensive SD ammo too much.
Old December 4, 2011, 08:18 PM   #21
Mobuck

I carry GoldDot HP ammo and have several thousand rounds of handloads using this bullet(bought as pulls from incorrectly loaded ammo) to the same specs as the factory loads I carry. Absolutely no difference between the two loads. Best of both worlds=lower cost w/o reduced performance or function.
Old December 4, 2011, 09:05 PM   #22
(*_*)

While I test any carry gun with 300 rounds of defense ammo thats about it.
Old December 4, 2011, 09:24 PM   #23
jason_iowa

10% of the time maybe. I can't really tell the difference in recoil between them. I use full size handguns except for a J frame in .357 which I always run hot loads through.
Old December 4, 2011, 10:51 PM   #24
orionengnr

Just to be clear, I put 200-300 rounds of carry ammo through my carry gun before I trust that load.

Thereafter, I shoot a lot of similarly-powered handloads, and only burn the ammo in the mag once or twice per year to replace it with fresh.
Old December 5, 2011, 07:54 AM   #25
Don P

Quote:
I am very new to shooting but I do enjoy going to the range and shooting very much. I don't think twice about putting 100+ rounds through my Glock 26 but today was the first time I shot Hollow Points.
I can notice the difference for sure between the FMJ and the HP and I was curious how often some of you shoot your self defense rounds?
I am skeptical of the quote and the reason why is, if both the practice ammo and SD ammo is of the same weight bullet how are you able to tell the difference between the 2. I can't tell the difference between my 115 grain fmj and my 115 grain hp. Strange
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.