The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 20, 2011, 07:47 PM   #1
jephthai

Trail Boss for rifle loads

I found some references online to an IMR publication that describes using Trail Boss for light loads in rifles. At first I was skeptical, but then I found a PDF on IMR's site here: http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf.

What are your thoughts? Is this enough validation to go ahead and play with it myself? I'm still a pretty inexperienced reloader, and I'm paranoid about making mistakes.
Old December 20, 2011, 07:55 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, that's validation. I've used Trail Boss for case forming loads in 7mm-08 and 204 Ruger.

They are quiet and have very little recoil.

The 204 literally sounds like a cap gun.

The proper loads are exactly as the PDF from IMR describes it. Start at 70% below the base of the bullet, work up to 100% if you desire. Never compress Trail Boss loads.

Enjoy.
Old December 20, 2011, 08:01 PM   #3
Major Dave (retired)

I loaded some .243 Win

with Trail Boss recently.

My purpose was to download some 90 grain FMJ so that I could shoot turkeys without blowing them to smithereens.

What I got was about 1500 fps MV, and 1/2 MOA accuracy.

Just what I needed.

Then, my access to hunt Rio Grande's fell thru. Maybe next year.

But, an unexpected benefit was that I now have a low recoil load I can use to teach my 9 year old grandson to shoot.

I might even download some .270 WSM so I can shoot it cheaper, and with less recoil, for practice between seasons.

What, specifically, are you worried about, as regards Trail Boss hand loads?
Old December 20, 2011, 08:43 PM   #4
jephthai

Quote:
What, specifically, are you worried about, as regards Trail Boss hand loads?
Like I said, I'm paranoid . It's not in my manuals, and IMR doesn't list it in the loading recipes in the info for Trail Boss in the "normal" web site (e.g., here). Instead, this is a completely plain-looking PDF buried in their web site. No logo or anything -- though it is their URL. I wanted to get some confirmation that it's OK.

BTW, you made me wonder if I just missed the loads on their site somehow. So, I just realized that their "reloading data center" has a lot more data than the powder "info" pages that Google indexes. If they have old/incomplete content on the web site, they should get rid of it.