The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 12, 2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Wild Bill Bucks

Possible new Oklahoma Record

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...1&d=1350046038

This Bear was shot 2 or 3 days ago, about a mile from my stand. I have been worried about a bear that has been tearing up my feeders, that is a different bear from this one. Sorry about the pictures as they were taken on location with a camera phone.

This is all second hand info, but the story goes, they called a farmer with a 700 lb scale to get the bear out of the woods, and it broke the scale. They admit that they don't think the bear weighs 700 lbs, but they won't know until they get it to the slaughter house, and put it on a good scale.
Last I heard, that I know for a fact, is the game ranger was called to verify things at the slaughter house, and it will be a while before anyone knows much, since all the stats are posted through the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife web site. As of this morning there is nothing posted, but hopefully there will be some info soon.

I'll be a lot more leery of sounds I hear coming up the trail from behind me, in my stand this year though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PART951349992523545.jpg (24.6 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg PART951349992523853.jpg (23.6 KB, 130 views)
Old October 12, 2012, 10:23 AM   #2
HALL,AUSTIN

One thing is for sure. Thats a big bear.
Old October 15, 2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Wild Bill Bucks

Just found out about 15 minutes ago, that the bear was shot Oct. 6th, around the Sardis Lake area, and weighed in at 675 pounds.

The hunter said he had seen the bear last year, but because of the 20 bear limit, was unable to shoot it last year, and felt fortunate that the bear stayed around until this year. The state took the limit for bow season off this year, so there is no limit to the bears this year through Oct. 21st.

The no limit rule only applies to archery, as the gun limit is still 20 bears per year, and you have to call every day to see if you are allowed to shoot one the day you are going hunting.
Old October 15, 2012, 02:04 PM   #4
doofus47

Well done. Nice big bear, but this part of the post has caught my attention:

Quote:
because of the 20 bear limit
??? He'd already taken 20 bears in a season?
I don't think I've seen 20 bears in my lifetime. (oh, wait, does the zoo count? )
Old October 16, 2012, 11:06 AM   #5
chewie146

20/season for rifle I what I'm guessing. It's for "sustainable mortality" as they call it in NM.
Old October 16, 2012, 12:29 PM   #6
publius

There was a 20 bear limit total for the State. Once that quota was met no other bears could be killed. If you hadn't killed your bear before that 20 quota was met, too bad.
Old October 16, 2012, 11:05 PM   #7
doofus47

thanks Publius,
that makes more sense.
Old October 17, 2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Wild Bill Bucks

The story finally hit the papers, but I don't know how to post it here, but you can type in www.mcalesternews.com and it is on the sports page.

I can see why my post about the limit was a little confusing, but I'm getting older and my eye sight is worse as well as my hearing, so sometimes I can't see what I'm saying, or hear what I'm looking at.

Just edited, because I see that the online paper hasn't caught up with the printed version yet. We're a little slow here in McAlester, so check back in a day or two, and maybe they will have it posted online by then.

Sorry guys.

Last edited by Wild Bill Bucks; October 17, 2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Corrections
Old October 17, 2012, 11:49 PM   #9
couillon

Yep, they are calling it the biggest taken in the 4 years they have had a season.
Old October 17, 2012, 11:50 PM   #10
couillon

Here it is.

http://mcalesternews.com/localsports...und-black-bear