The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 16, 1999, 10:35 PM   #1
Ned Roundtree

I've shot 92 Rossi,94 Winchester, 1894 Marlin Cowboy and now Winchester 73. The Winchester 73 looks the best. But I would have to say the 1894 Marlin shoots the best.Of all the lever action rifles, if you could only own one which would it be? What caliber? Which is your favorite lever action cowboy rifle?
Old December 16, 1999, 11:14 PM   #2
Joe West

My favorite rifle for black powder is the Winchester '73. For smokeless it's the Winchester 1892. My favorite caliber is 44-40 but I will shoot any caliber in a pinch. If I could only have one rifle, I'd be upset.
Joe West

------------------
Old December 17, 1999, 04:22 AM   #3
Hal

Ned,
Can't comment on the Cowboy side, but I have shot my lever guns a bit
I have 2 Winchester Trappers, one in .44 Mag and one in .45 LC. The .45 shoots a little "easier". A bit hard to describe, but for some reason the .45 gives more of a push against the shoulder instead of a hard "rap" like the .44. Granted, I have only shot a few (20) rounds through the .45, but I noticed it right away. I handload the .44 to about the same levels as the loads I used in the .45, if anything my handloads were a little less. I also have a Marlin Cowboy II in .357. Of the three, the Marlin is the smoothest, but the hardest to shoot. It takes me 4 to 10 shots to get used to it, but after that it's fine. I think it's because of the buckhorn sight on the Marlin. I like them all equally, for different reasons, but bottom line: If I had to go out and buy just one, I think it would be a Marlin Cowboy II in .45LC. Can't comment on the Rossi since I haven't tried one. Same goes for the 44-40, Haven't tried it yet. Has anybody else noticed the difference between the .44Mag. loaded down and the .45LC or is it just me? If so, does the .44-40 act like the .45LC in that respect?
Old December 17, 1999, 07:05 PM   #4
Bert

I have two M92s(Rossi).One in 45LC an one in
44-40.I cannot tell any difference in recoil
between this two rifles.If I had to choose
one over the other I would have to go with the 44-40(It's a tack driver that you get once or twice in a lifetime.).I would rate
these,Rossi,on par with Mar.336 or Win.M94
30-30s'(or a 94 BigBore).Just work action to
ease it up.
Bert,my.02
Old December 19, 1999, 03:32 PM   #5
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Ned,

I have a Rossi 92 and a Marlin Cowboy. When the time for shooting comes,I take my Marlin everytime. It's a smooth,accurate rifle that has never let me down.

Bellicose Bill
Old December 19, 1999, 07:17 PM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I like my Marlins (44 and .357).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old December 20, 1999, 08:45 PM   #7
Trigger Jerk

The '73 is a dern nice lookin' piece fer sure. But I shoot a Marlin 1894 in 45 Colt (same cal as the pistols) with a slicked up action. One nice thing about the Marlin is that the lever throw is short (aiding in quick repeat shots) and lends itself well to a good tuning. Mine is smooth as glass and I would'nt trade it for anything. I can also shoot 6 inch groups with factory sights at 100 yards with my cowboy load. That might not sound like much, but if ya aint never done it...give it a whirl...it's a lot easier to talk about than actually do.
Old December 25, 1999, 09:05 PM   #8
Judge Blackhawk

Make no mistake about it, the BEST lever action rifle is the one that feels good on your shoulder and sights to the target.

Remember a lever action rifle that is pretty and fancy but does not feel right will not get shot.

Like the old saying "My favorite rifle is the one I got with me".

Winchester and Marlin and Rossi and what ever others are out their all have their good and bad points.

I have marlins and winchesters but no rossis. I like each of the enought to keep them in the safe. But to choose a BEST of is next to impossible. I have had some of the same make and model that just did not feel right when they hit my shoulder. The guns just did not have the umph that the others possessed.

If you want to know what is the BEST lever action, then ask your friends if you could shoot their rifles. When you find one that feels like a long lost friend, then you have a good candidate for BEST rifle. But then go to the gun stores and handle as many of that make and model as you can, and again, when you found your long lost friend, then you have your rifle.

It is like finding a wife, you dont really know her until you meet her and hold her. But in the back of your mind, you have a little red flag that says this one is a keeper.

Happy seaching
Judge Blackhawk