The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 21, 2014, 08:57 AM   #1
ghbucky01

I shot great last night...

when I wasn't being timed

My local range is doing a steel shoot series, with the ultimate prize being a S&W M&P pro. Fastest overall time to knock down 5 plates wins.

My first time up, hit, miss miss miss miss... bleh. 2nd Choke more! 3rd time, meh.. .I went 5 for 5 but took 11 seconds doing it.

After the shoot was over I went 10 out of 10 and the 2nd time was in about 8 seconds.

Funny part about this whole series is that the only rule is open sights, so there are all kinds of seriously tricked out semis being used.

The guy winning (and in the lead by a full second) is using a stock revolver.
Old March 21, 2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Willie Lowman

the best shooting I ever did at a plate match was my first full auto match. I thought I had no chance to win so I just shot to have fun. Took first place.

After that, I started worrying about that clock and when to do my next reload and generally over thought the match. Third was the best I ever did after that!
Old March 21, 2014, 10:10 AM   #3
NoSecondBest

Most shooters who start competition have no idea how much just a little bit of adrenalin can affect them. Your fine motor skills just quit working right. The only cure that I know of is just keep shooting competition. You'll keep getting better but there will be a point where your body won't progress any further in overcoming the adrenalin dump. That's where the top shooters rise to the top. There are a lot of good shooters out there but that little bit of adrenalin keeps them from reaching their best.
Old March 21, 2014, 11:30 AM   #4
ghbucky01

I have no illusions about becoming a top shooter. I am too old and my eyes are too bad to be anywhere close to competitive to someone 20 years younger with more experience.

This is my first experience with competitive shooting and I sure wish I had done this a long time ago. So much fun! I'm hooked!

And great people to shoot with

I'll be doing my first USPSA match Sunday.
Old March 21, 2014, 04:00 PM   #5
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbucky01
The guy winning (and in the lead by a full second) is using a stock revolver.
Gives me warm fuzzies...