The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old August 2, 2013, 04:56 PM   #1
Digger686

Range in Orlando, FL

Hi:

I'm hoping some of the members can help me...

I'm currently on holiday in Orlando, FL. It's a great spot for the family to enjoy but I'm getting withdrawal symptoms...

I was hoping to visit a local range. I'm thinking mainly handgun, although if there is a range that also offers rifle facilities then that's a plus... A decent instructor on site that would also be useful.

The basic requirements are for a visitor friendly range offering gun rental (.22 and larger). If there's anywhere that is family-friendly that would be even better.

Thanks guys!
Old August 3, 2013, 08:48 AM   #2
MLeake

Depending on where you stay in Orlando, there are a few.

Shoot Straight has facilities in Apopka and Fern Park.

East Orange is on Goldenrod, near HWY 50, a few miles west of UCF.

There's an indoor range near Oak Ridge High School; I don't know if they have rentals or instructors. (East Orange has both.)

There's a place near I-Drive that has NFA submachinegun rentals, if you ever wanted to try that, but I can't remember the name.
Old August 3, 2013, 05:17 PM   #3
Digger686

Thanks for that!

We're staying near the International Airport, but I don't mind driving a bit if I need to.

East Orange sounds promising, I'll check it out through Google...
Old August 3, 2013, 08:25 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Good ranges in the metro Orlando area...

Id try Gander Mountain Academy in the huge Gander Mountain outdoor store in Lake Mary Florida. It's large, safe, clean and they have high tech video simulation training areas.
The Shoot Straight location on north 441/Apopka FL is okay & close to Orlando but its not as well run as the Gander Mountain site, IMO.
If you want simple & low-tech try the Reigs gun shop & rental range on south 441. The "trail" isn't in the best area of downtown Orlando but its cheap and there are few customers during the weekdays(1000am to 400pm). I've shot there a few times with no problems. The staff is laid back & not gruff or "gung-ho".
The newer rental range on south Orange AVE; Oak Ridge, isn't bad either. It's close to downtown(SODO) & the range is new/updated.
The downside is that it's as small as the shop it relocated from & there's not a huge selection to choose from if you rent firearms.

Clyde
Old August 8, 2013, 11:54 PM   #5
Justice06RR

I think I can help you here, since I live in the area.

1. I highly recommend East Orange Shooting sports on Forsythe Ave. They have a nice range and store. They rent both handguns and rifles. $10 for pistol, and $14 for rifle for the whole day, and you just buy the ammo there. Nice people and range is well lit and clean.

2. Shoot Straight has a couple of locations. The closer one is in Casselberry on 17-92. Very nice range as well. $10/person for pistol and $15 for rifle but the rental is hourly. The plus side to Shoot straight is that they allow rapid fire, which is not allowed in East Orange.

3. Gander Mountain in Lake Mary is also a nice range. I have been to the store but never shot at their range. Price for the range is a bit more at $25/hr but it accomodates up to 3 people.

Hope that helps!