The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2008, 01:04 PM   #1
rick9plus

Shotgun mount and light question

First time poster, here. Thanks in advance for your help.

I purchased a UTG tri-rail mount for my Mossberg 500 12 ga. I wanted to use the top channel of the mount on the magazine tube and then mount a light inside of the bottom channel, leaving the actual rails clear.

The problem is, even with the mount is as far forward on the mag tube as possible, the forearm is blocked from sliding all the way forward.

So my question is, can I mount the tri-rail mount toward the end of the BARREL of the shotgun rather than on the mag tube?

When trying it out, the light extends about 1" past the muzzle of the barrel. I have not shot the gun yet, and am wondering if the light would be damaged by having the front of it sticking out past (and below) the barrel a bit. The light is in line with the mag tube, so that tells you about how far it is beneath the barrel (about half an inch).

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for your help.
Old October 29, 2008, 02:22 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings, rick9plus, and welcome aboard.

Typically, the mount doesn't go on the mag tube, but on the mag tube extension. Installed on the mag tube it restricts the action, as you've already learned.

You said your have a Mossberg 500, but didn't mention what kind and length of barrel you have. That really determines your mounting options. Generally, the only thing that is recommended beyond the muzzle is a bayonet.
Old October 29, 2008, 04:28 PM   #3
rick9plus

My Mossberg 500 is running the short (18"?) barrel. It also came with a longer one which can be used for hunting. The short barrel is used for home defense. I don't know that it has an "extension". The magazine stops about 4" short of the end of the 18" barrel.

What I am interested in knowing is if the muzzle blast from the shotgun would affect a flashlight sticking out slightly below and 1" ahead of the crown of the muzzle.

I am sure that no shot would hit the flashlight, but would the gases and other "blast" debris spread out enough to hit/damage something 1" past and .5" below the crown of the muzzle?

Mounting a light so it extends past the end of the barrel is not the best solution, but as mentioned, the tri-rail mount won't allow for proper forearm motion when mounted at the end of the tube UNDER the barrel.

Anyone have any ideas of the firing forces in play just past and below the barrel on a 12 gauge?

Last edited by rick9plus; October 29, 2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added something
Old October 30, 2008, 01:05 AM   #4
zippy13

Oops...
I led you astray, I was thinking generically, the Mossy 500 doesn't accept a mag extension. Sorry if you were confused.

With the short barrel, you have few options. Because of the tri-rail mount, you probably don't want to go with a side light. If the only alternative is to have the light project beyond the muzzle, then the first thing I'd do is to do some testing -- you could use a wood dowel to simulate the light and see what happens after you run off a dozen rounds, or so.
Another option is a short barrel extension. You could get a breacher or extended choke. How about a shorter light?

Old October 30, 2008, 07:32 AM   #5
rantingredneck

I think that Laserlyte makes a shorter rail mount for the standard mossberg 500 (not the breacher version) that will fit on the standard 5 round magazine and allow clearance for the forend.

http://shop.laserlyte.com/product.sc...0&productId=19

.......at least that's what appears to be going on in the pic below the product.
Old October 30, 2008, 08:12 AM   #6
zippy13

Very true, but I think he wants to use the tri-rail unit that he already has.
Old October 30, 2008, 01:18 PM   #7
rick9plus

I think testing it out with a wooden dowel would work great. That will give me an example of what might happen to my light while firing with it positioned under/slightly ahead of the muzzle.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Any other thoughts?