The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2013, 10:17 PM   #1
5 STRING

38spc 125gr TCFP Data

Does anyone have any experience loading 125gr Trunicated Flat Point Lead Bullets for 38 special?? I have some of these that I would like to load for my S&W Model 110 Service Revolver, and unfortunately I can't seem to find anything in any of my reloading manuals.

I did find a quotation on the Missouri Bullet website that said they were for "reduced cowboy loads" ... Tell me what that means if you would?? And .. if someone could give me an idea of where to start I would appreciate the help.

I am using Unique Powder and CCI and Federal SPP for standard 38 special loads.

Thanks for all help

Old March 24, 2013, 11:13 AM   #2
BrokenBottles

I shot about 20 rounds of 38special yesterday with Hunters Supply 125 grains.
I used load data for generic cast round nose flat points. That's what quite a few local reloaders and people on line suggested when I couldn't find any for 38 or 357.
Old March 24, 2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Crunchy Frog

Yes. That type of bullet is very popular in cowboy action shooting because it feeds very well in lever action rifles. Lots of cowboy shooters use lighter than "standard" bullets; in .38 Special for example I use 105 and 125 grain bullets.

SASS rules mandate that the ammo be loaded with lead bullets at no more than 1000 feet per second (for pistol ammo; the rifles are pistol caliber but the velocity limit for rifle is a little higher). This is because cowboys shoot steel targets at relatively closed distances and a lead bullet at the proper velocity (there is a minimum limit as well) tends to splatter and fall to the ground instead of bouncing off the target.

Look on the Hodgdon powder website; their printed manual has an entire section dedicated to cowboy action loads and I believe the online "Reloading Data Center" has the same data for lead bullet loads although they are not specifically identified as "cowboy loads".

I have used my "cowboy" .38 Special loads for practice ammo in double action revolvers. It doesn't cause a tear in space-time or anything.