The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old December 30, 2012, 10:48 AM   #1
Doc Hoy

Made a bullet grabber.....

I think virtually everyone in the western hemisphere but me has figured out how to handle bullets during the lube process.

I cast my own bullets and lube them with my own lube for loading black powder cartridges.

Problem is trying to figure out how to take the bullets out of the molten lube without dropping them all over the place and getting hot lube all over creation.

I was told by another poster that he uses empty cases to pick them up but then getting them to easily drop out of the case can be problematic.

So I made up these hypodermic based contraptions. Took a .357 case and a .45 ACP case and drilled out the base to 3/16 inch. Made a spring loaded plunger from an Allen cap screw and a locknut. Springs came from an assortment from Horrible Freight.

Then I openned the end on a hypodermic seringe and epoxied the case into the open end of the seringe.

The .45 ACP covers 45-70 and .45 Long Colt. The .357 covers .357 and 9 MM. Pretty much everything I need. (No...I don't load 9 MM with black powder)

Old December 30, 2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Pahoo

Well done !!

Doc,
You never cease to amaze me with your "tinkering" abilities. You see the problem and work out your solution. Could you show us a lubed projectile and perhaps share your lube/lubes?

Close powder container and;
Be Safe !!!
Old December 30, 2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Doc Hoy

Thanks Pahoo

Here are some bullets

On the left is a 45-70 (.458 - 405 gr hollow base) with liquid Alox and a 9 mm (.356 125gr flat base) all the way to the right, also with liquid Alox. Neither of these slugs have been through a sizer.

In the center is a .357 (Think this is .358 200gr RNFP) with the lube I use in Cap and Ball revolvers. That bullet has been through the sizer.

This is about half and half bees wax and crisco. Actually I just started using beeswax and I am thinking I will like it as much as my previous lube which was toilet donuts instead of beeswax. That other lube was pretty good but still just a tiny bit runny when used in the summer in a hot revolver.

My recipe is not very exotic and there are plenty of recipes out there that are more carefully thought out and probably better performing than mine.