The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2002, 08:58 PM   #1
Birdhunter

Lee Pro 1000 Problem

I have a Lee Pro 1000 and reload .38 & .357. Recently it's been undercharging or not at all. I would have blown my hands off if I didn't notice that the primer had logded the bullet halfway down the barrel. Does anyone have the same malf?
Old January 24, 2002, 11:57 PM   #2
jim-alex

Had a similar problem and corrected it but my cause may have been different. Here are a couple of things that may work if your situation is similar.

I was loading 2.7gr Bullseye using the micro-disk (the adjustable measure instead of the round black measure) that sits below powder hopper. The shape of the opening, I believe, did not allow such small charges of BE to drop consistently. I changed to the closest volume round disk opening instead, tossed the adjustable measure in my toolbox.

You might also want to consider using a powder like W231 - always drops well.

Another thing to look at on the Pro1000 is the tension on the chain. Is it pulling the measure all the way under the hopper ?
It might need adjustment.

Any of this make sense?

Regards,
Jim
Old January 25, 2002, 03:59 AM   #3
batch

I have to agree that the powder is the problem. For quite some time I fought the powder drop problem. It turns out the flake powder tends to "bunch" up with the loads under about 5 grains and not drop properly. If you switch to ball powders the problem should go away.
batch
Old January 26, 2002, 01:13 AM   #4
Freedom in theSkies

I have tried the powder disks and the mirometer adjstable measure. I believe the powder to be the culprit. Thin flake type powder used mostly with .38Spl and light .357loads is usually the culprit. Try a ball type powder like winchester 231. It will definetly measure better.
Old January 26, 2002, 10:15 AM   #5
Birdhunter

I am definately going to try a different powder. I was using Universal Clays. I didn't notice any chain tension prolems at all. Thanks guys, it is so hard to find anyone that reloads anywhere.
Old January 26, 2002, 06:36 PM   #6
Derm95

I had the same problem. Lee warns that flake powders meter poorly and give inconsistent charges in small cavities (do not use flake powder in any cavity under .4 cc's. Ball powder is necessary to not have bridging of the flakes, but it tends to have lower volumes. Try to use the powder that gives you the most volume per grains. Bullseye, Win231, AA #2, HP 38 are ball powders.
Until you are sure of the metering, you might size, prime, drop the powder and then instead of seating a bullet put all the powder loaded cases in a loading block. Inspect the consistancy of powder in the cases by using a strong light above and weigh some or all of the throws until you are convinced you have it right.
I did this and wasn't seeing powder in some of the throws from the adjustable charge bar and went back to the disks. After I inspected the powder then I seated the bullets on a single stage.
The .38 special is tough because its also hard to peer into the long, skinny case to check small volumes of powder.
Old January 26, 2002, 07:05 PM   #7
Bobshouse

Try some Titegroup, measures great out of my Lee setup.

Bob
Old January 26, 2002, 10:05 PM   #8
Birdhunter

I e-mailed Lee and they didn't mention powder at all. Good thing I asked you guys Thanks a bunch