The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 20, 2001, 08:23 PM   #1
AlexGRT

Sporterizing Mauser K98

I would like to try to sporterize one of these surplus firearms. What would I have to do to the bolt if I wanted to change the caliber to .308? Is the VZ24 the same rifle as the German K98? Thanks in advance for the responses. Pictures of your sporterized Mausers would be great motivation.
Old December 20, 2001, 09:45 PM   #2
Cris

I suggest you pick up a copy of Jerry Kuhnhausen's "The Mauser Bolt Actions" for info on sporterizing military mausers. Also, "Building the Custom Mauser Rifle" for from AGI has some good information for those interested in sporterizing a mauser. Both can be had from Brownells or Midway or many other places in am sure. "Mauser Bolt Rifles" by Ludwig Olson is alson another outstanding sorce for information on the various mauser rifles.

Aside from lapping the lugs for full contact, the bolt should be fine for a .308; it will have to be bent for a scope. Mr. Kuhnhausen speaks very highly of the VZ-24 as a base for a custom rifle.
Old December 21, 2001, 12:09 AM   #3
DeBee

I recently picked up the book M98 & M96 Mausers. It's about customizing these rifles... Super basic (for me at least). No lathe chambering of short chambered Shilen barrels is detailed in a "trial and error go no go gauge method"... Not exactly what I was hoping for... At least the tool blueprints might serve useful if you don't want to go the route of buying every jig and fixture from Brownells...

I'll state right out, if you are looking to make a cheap trunk gun or "save" money, goto XMart and buy a Rem 700 ADL on sale for $369 and forget about it...

The 24 will make an excellent .308 cartridge class rifle without any mods to the bolt face or rails or magazine... Setting up a good Mauser correctly can be expensive.

Visit www.hallowellco.com and see some classics in the Magazine Rifles section.