The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 22, 2015, 03:35 PM   #26
johnwilliamson062

I shot a few thousand rounds through my MK II without thnking about cleaning it. Then i lent it to a friend. He had one and he was going somewhere with his son or something where he needed another. Maybe he just wanted to compare my MKII trigger to his MKIII. Anyways, he found it to be too dirty for his standards. Normally, I would be ticked if I lent someone a gun and they took it apart, but he is knowledgeable and meticulous. Anyways, it is good for at least 5 more years. I don't shoot it nearly as much since I bought a single six.
I'll probably buy one of the quick strip kits when I get there.
Old October 22, 2015, 03:49 PM   #27
TailGator

I have a Neos that has been completely reliable with all sorts of ammo as long as I give a bit of attention to cleaning the extractor claw. Accuracy is very good. The sights are not much, but the top rail lets you mount an inexpensive red dot. The small grip is very popular with small women and youth, and the same population often likes the styling that more traditional folks eschew. Overall, it has been a really good pistol at a low price.

Keep in mind that zincwarrior and I both have sample sizes of one.
Old October 22, 2015, 04:01 PM   #28
zincwarrior

I also liked that the mag release was on the right side, exactly where my trigger finger would want it to be. I could empty the mag and release it almost in one motion.

The mag itself was the easier to load than a Ruger or Browning. With the exception of the first Ruger I acquired (my first pistol and a joyous long barreled target model), I liked the Neo the best.

Note: If I haven't already all three have different grip angles. Many people usually decide which one they prefer as soon as they grip it.
Old October 22, 2015, 08:30 PM   #29
johnwilliamson062

I wouldn't trade my MK II for a NEOS, but the friends gun I shot worked well, was accurate, and could be handed to new shooters without reluctance.
Old October 22, 2015, 08:53 PM   #30
kilimanjaro

Don't fret about the process to field strip a .22 pistol, you only need to do that once a year or even longer. Just clean the bore and chamber area every brick of ammo or so and you should be good to go. A stoppage is going to happen due to the ammo selected, not your lack of detail field stripping on a regular basis.
Old October 23, 2015, 06:28 PM   #31
osbornk

Quote:
Don't fret about the process to field strip a .22 pistol, you only need to do that once a year or even longer. Just clean the bore and chamber area every brick of ammo or so and you should be good to go. A stoppage is going to happen due to the ammo selected, not your lack of detail field stripping on a regular basis.
My son-in-law has had a Mk II competition for about 20 years and he has had it apart exactly once. It shoots accurately and reliably. Makes me wonder why I field strip my Mk III occasionally. That chore takes me two or three minutes plus the cleaning time.
Old October 24, 2015, 09:31 AM   #32
aarondhgraham

I'll make another for the Beretta NEOS,,,

I'll make another for the Beretta NEOS,,,
I own three of them and have had no problems at all.

I also own a pair of Ruger 22/45's,,,
A Buckmark Hunter, and a Smith & Wesson 22A.

Of them all the NEOS is definitely the easiest to take apart,,,
As far as accuracy goes that's up for debate.

I'm best with the Buckmark but your mileage may vary,,,
I attribute it to it's longer barrel and great sights.

I can break the NEOS down in a matter of seconds,,,
Changing a barrel takes about 1 minute.

The front sight (as mentioned earlier) is dismal,,,
I replaced mine with a fiber optic from EWK Arms.

Like I said there is nothing new in this post,,,
Just another positive review of the Beretta NEOS pistol.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 25, 2015, 09:46 PM   #33
doofus47

I have an SR22 that is great. I agree that it loves CC1 mini-mags more than anything else.
My buddy has a 22/45 that he loves. I don't know what he shoots through it.
Old October 25, 2015, 10:55 PM   #34
michael t

"QUOTE]I haven't field stripped my Ruger Mk1 since the turn of the century. All I do is spray some brake cleaner through it once every couple of years and lube it from time to time. So far I have never had a failure to feed or fire."[[/QUOTE]

That way I do my Ruger one time was enough for me Get a 22 revolver 6" barrel . I have a old cheap one I bought used around 19 years ago. Once I figured out how to sight that cowboy gun . Its deadly accurate.
Old October 26, 2015, 01:54 PM   #35
johnwilliamson062

I'm not a fan of ruger semi-automatic pistol styling, but I handled an SR-22 and it felt great. Trying to convince my wife she wants one.
Old October 26, 2015, 04:46 PM   #36
aarondhgraham

Trying to convince my wife she wants one.

Just buy it and surprise her.

Perhaps she will let you shoot it.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old October 27, 2015, 07:49 AM   #37
sheepman

The need to disassemble 22 auto pistols is not as often as some think. I have owned Ruger MKI, MKII MKIII as well as Hi standard target and Colt woodsman. most cleaning can be done with out dissembling. Also IMHO the Ruger is not that hard to disassemble and reassemble as some think.

Have not owned a Browning so can not comment on them. All of the auto pistols were easier to disassemble than double action revolvers, S&W and Dan Wesson. IMHO you should worry more about chamber fouling with a 22lr than any thing else. If I could only have one 22 auto it would be a Ruger MK.

Shoot and enjoy what you have.
Old October 27, 2015, 08:10 AM   #38
saleen322

I have about 2 dozen 22 pistols including 3 Ruger MKs. Thank goodness for the internet or I would not have known they were hard to field strip! I agree that too many people take them apart more than is necessary. I think the Ruger gives great value for the money and they are all steel. If cost is a concern, the Ruger is the way to go.
Old October 27, 2015, 09:03 PM   #39
osbornk

Quote:
I have about 2 dozen 22 pistols including 3 Ruger MKs. Thank goodness for the internet or I would not have known they were hard to field strip! I agree that too many people take them apart more than is necessary. I think the Ruger gives great value for the money and they are all steel. If cost is a concern, the Ruger is the way to go.
I agree. Hard to field strip???? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7nDefvB1Io
Old October 27, 2015, 10:14 PM   #40
twister

I have a hi standard hd Military type. Great shooter. Easy to strip and clean.