The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2015, 01:56 PM   #26
Bucksnort1

rfxCasey,

I don't have the definitive answer to your question but I would like to make a comment or two about the Lee Classic. I have the next Lee model down from the Classic, which is also a turret press; however, the Classic has a feature which mine does not and that is, when you de-prime, spent primers fall into a clear tube which protrudes below the press. You place a small bucket/trash can to catch them. With my press, primers are everywhere.

I mostly use my press as a single stage but occasionally use it with two dies for handgun loads. I install the de-prime/sizing die and the belling die. It takes two extra strokes, if using the auto indexer, or an extra second or two to rotate the turret by hand but, overall, it saves time.

I have two friends who have the Classic. They remove the auto indexing rod and either use it as a single stage or index by turning the turret by hand. I think the reason is because sometimes, this happened to me a couple of days ago, auto indexing doesn't always line up the die with the case. It may be a simple case of operator error.

One last comment about the Classic and my press. My press comes with a handle, of about 15", that has a bend in it for clearance and a grip that is perpendicular to the handle shaft. I find this awkward regardless of which position I install the handle so I made a straight handle from a wrought iron baluster. The Classic also has a slight bend in it and comes with a round ball of about 2.5" for a grip. The round ball is way more comfortable than the bicycle handle bar grip that came with my press.
Old May 17, 2015, 07:45 PM   #27
rtpzwms

I had a Lee Deluxe Turret press for almost 40 years. One thing I've not seen in this thread is that Lee offered a 3 to 4 hole conversion. It came with a new top plate and all of the other parts to bring it up to date with the current version. For a press that's been around not letting it drop by the wayside speaks volumes for the maker and the design. My son now has that press and is using it weekly. Its not making as may rounds per week now as it once did but it still works fine.

As for the plastic indexer I think they were 10 cents a piece. I think I ordered one or two dollars worth some time back and my son has most of the leftovers now. I may still have one or two in the loading bench.

I believe, I made well over 100k rounds on that press before upgrading to a LNL press. So for someone just starting I don't see how you can go wrong with a basic Lee turret press, they just work. A very simple design easy to figure out and little to go wrong. Faster than a rock chucker, lots of accessories, good support.
Old May 18, 2015, 03:48 PM   #28
jr05

I highly recommend the LCT, I started with one and still use it after adding a few presses to the bench. It is an excellent press and if you don't need to load any more than 100-150 rounds an hour, it may be all you will ever need. I really do think it is one of the best options for a new loader.

I cannot say the same thing for the load master! If you want a progressive press, save up for a Hornady or Dillon.