The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 3, 2013, 03:15 PM   #1
TomL

Mossberg MVP series

Has anyone here tried one/seen one? Also after checking the models in this series I noticed two, the two with spiral bolts are relegated to using AR15 aftermarket mags but the others can use issue type AR mags. Anyone know why that is, something to do with the spiral machined bolt maybe? I tried calling them but still shut down for the Holiday.
Old September 3, 2013, 03:48 PM   #2
ruger357w

I bought one for my wife and we both love shooting it. very accurate with my reloads. It has the spiral bolt and will take all the ar-15 mags I have.
Old September 3, 2013, 04:34 PM   #3
allaroundhunter

Mossberg MVP series

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomL View Post
Has anyone here tried one/seen one? Also after checking the models in this series I noticed two, the two with spiral bolts are relegated to using AR15 aftermarket mags but the others can use issue type AR mags. Anyone know why that is, something to do with the spiral machined bolt maybe? I tried calling them but still shut down for the Holiday.
There is zero difference between 'issue' AR mags and aftermarket ones. All of the MVPs will use any AR-15 magazine.

A search will answer your other questions.
Old September 3, 2013, 06:19 PM   #4
rduckwor

I have the 18.5" Predator model. It's a handy rifle. Basically a scout rifle in 5.56. I have mine set up with a conventional scope mounted in a conventional position. Fun and accurate with hand loads.
Old September 4, 2013, 06:58 AM   #5
TomL

Mossberg MVP series

Thanks for the replies as it puzzled me about the use of AR vs aftermarket mags and that is how it is worded on the Mossberg wesite about the MVP's. The Predator is the rifle I am most interested in btw, glad to hear from you rduckwor and Ruger357w. How is it regarding function and accuracy using over the counter ammo? Wish it came with a 20" barrel tho.
Old September 5, 2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Storm27m

You can get it with a 20" barrel but I think it is a sporter weight at that length.