The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 30, 2000, 07:58 PM   #1
Lightsped

I live in Atlanta Georgia and am interested in getting my Class 3license enabling to buy a short barreled shotgun and may be a full auto smg. Anyways, what are the procedures I must undergo in order to obtain my C3 license? BTW, my record is spotless.
Thanks
Old November 30, 2000, 10:41 PM   #2
Normalizer

According to the NRA ILA website for Georgia:

"MACHINE GUNS

The purchase, sale, manufacture and possession of machine guns, defined as "any weapon which shoots or is designed to shoot, automatically more than six shots without manual reloading by a single function of the trigger" and "sawed-off" shotguns, defined as a shotgun "having one or more barrels less than 18 inches in length, or if such weapon as modified has an overall length less than 26 inches," is prohibited.

Exceptions to this prohibition are any machine guns or sawed-off shotguns that are inoperable, such as "weapons with their barrel or barrels filled with lead," and machine guns and sawed-off shotguns possessed in accordance with the federal National Firearms Act."

I would read that to mean that you can get class 3 items in GA. The first thing you should do is find a dealer that handles class 3 weapons and consult with him about the proper procedures, he'll know the in's and out's and who will help you avoid as much red tape as possible.

Old December 1, 2000, 09:33 AM   #3
Hawkman

Lightsped,

I live in Gwinnett County and just went through the process. E-mail me if you want details, or give me a call at 770-452-8338 (work). Ask for Pete.