The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old May 27, 2001, 09:34 AM   #1
Gary H

I want to try the various throw-em and shoot-em sports, but I understand that many of the ranges have shut down. There was a range in Novato, close to me, but I hear that it is closed. Evidently, lead is the issue. I'm new to all of this. I have been to Chabot. What other ranges are still open and which ones have the best facilities. Probably start with skeet and trap first.
Old May 27, 2001, 02:47 PM   #2
Romulus

Gary, I was asking the same question to a friend of mine who has been living in the area alot longer than I have (not quite three years...) He told me of a pistol and long gun range in Petaluma off Adobe Road he went to recently - that's quite close to me as I live in pompous little Sonoma, no wimpy wines but lots of wimps. Another range for pistol and long guns is in Napa, where my friend currently resides. I'll post more exact information as soon as I can get it...

Of course there's Montana Hawk in Cotati, but that's indoor pistol only...
Old May 27, 2001, 02:49 PM   #3
Gary H

There are still a number of ranges for pistol and rifle, but clays, skeet and trap seem to be another story.
Old May 27, 2001, 07:08 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

Livermore is still open for Trap. The SF Rod & Gun is open on Wed, Sat-Sun for trap & skeet. It's right next to Lake Merced and the SF Poleese range.

BTW, closing the thread here and moving it to our range forum, Lock n' Load: Live Fire Exercises.
Old May 28, 2001, 12:56 AM   #5
Bowser

Bullseye Shooting in San Rafael. 10 lane indoor range for pistol, rimfire rifle, and shotgun.

Richmond Rod and Gun Club. 25, 100 and 200 yard outdoor range. IPSCC range. Simunitions training offered. Tactical pistol, carbine, and shotgun classes offered. 4 trap and skeet fields (must shoot steel shot).

Bowser.
Old May 28, 2001, 03:56 AM   #6
Romulus

Gary, it's called Two Rock near the Coast Guard station in Petaluma...
Old May 28, 2001, 11:14 AM   #7
Good Guy

Check out http://www.california.com/~jtchew/BAranges.html for bay area shooting locations. They list most/all ranges in the area with locations and other pertinent info.
Old May 28, 2001, 05:23 PM   #8
Gary H

Wow, moved to "Lock and Load". This may be the only part of "The Firing Line" that I haven't visited. My thanks. When I think of "Live Fire", I had other things in mind.

I have seen the listings of the various ranges. I was hoping that someone would tell me that so and so range was great compared to the others. I work in San Leandro and the folks in those parts seem to go out to Livermore. I live in Marin county and was thinking of going to Richmond and Black Point. I was told that Richmond was closed to shotgun, but it is listed as open to steel shot.

When I get my guns setup, I'll have to invite some of you over to watch. Should have you laughing so hard that you can't stand. I think that I will go in search of an instructor.
Old May 28, 2001, 08:49 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

OK, somebody give me instructions from SF to the Richmond range. I've only been there once and don't remember the way. The d**n pigeons ate all the breadcrumbs.
Old May 28, 2001, 09:17 PM   #10
Bowser

Directions to Richmond Gun club

Gents,

I am an assistant Range Master at Richmond Rod and Gun Skeet and Trap fields. I help out there on Wednesdays.

The Trap and skeet fields are open Wednesdays 12 noon until 4 pm, with the last sound to start at 3.30 pm.
They are open also on Saturdays and Sundays, from 10 am to 4 pm.
We offer 4 Skeet fields, with two trap machines also.

Members pay $3.00 for a round of skeet or trap (25 clays), non members pay $4.50.

We MUST shoot steel shot only, as we shoot over the Bay. This rule HAS to be enforced for the sake of the club.
We sell steel shot at $8 per box for12 gayge, #7 and #9. 20 gauge is a little bit more. I believe these prices to be the most competitive locally.

I must stress that we are a NON_PROFIT organisation, run entirely by unpaid volunteers.

In addition to the skeet fields there are 3 rifle and pistol ranges, 25 yard, 100 yard and 200 yard - but the 200 yard range is open to members only.
There is also an ISPCC course, with free orientation once you pay the range fee.
We conduct many shooting events each year, includingthe GSSF shootout.

For directions from San Francisco: Take 101 North to Richmond Bridge. Go Eastbound on Bridge, and exit on Richmond Parkway. Take Richmond Parkway approx 6 miles to Goodrick Avenue. Turn left onto Goodrick. We are on the lest hand side.
Please observe the 10 mph speed limit and STOP signs - there may be children present.

It really is a great club, with much more to offer than what I have written above. Above all we value safety of our member and guests.

More literature on the Club is available there. We also have a members bar, and many dinners etc. each year.

Looking forward to seeing you there. If you come on Wednesdays, ask for Paul (that's me).

I have limited access to computers on my days off, so please forgive me if I am unable to answer and questions straight away.

Thanks.

Paul.
Old May 28, 2001, 09:56 PM   #11
Gary H

Thanks Paul

Wow, sounds better than a cruise ship. Thanks for taking the time to provide the information regarding your club.
Old May 29, 2001, 12:21 AM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks Paul, since Livermore is closed to rifle shooting,

I may be stopping by to sight in my flintlock and M1 Garand (now an abomination in the eyes of any purist or conservationist).
Old May 29, 2001, 01:29 AM   #13
Bowser

Gary,

your mention of your M1 reminded me that the Rifle range at Richmond also offers the CMP program for a mil surp M1.

I have also seen a couple of blackpowder rifles at the club.

There is also a full line of reloading supplies stocked.

P.
Old May 29, 2001, 11:16 AM   #14
chink

Los Altos Gun and Rod club off of skyline blvd and hwy 9. I go there most. They are open to the public 9-5 thurs-Sunday in the summer and 9-4 Thursday -Sunday in the winter.

Sunnyvale Gun and Rod Club off of foothill blvd behind the stevens creek reservoir in Cupertino. I don't now their hours, but I know they open at 9 on Saturdays.
Old May 30, 2001, 02:55 PM   #15
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

I am happy to see that the Richmomd range is still open and functional! Back in the early 60's when I was on several (15th AF and Beale AFB) pistol teams there was a 2700 outdoor pistol match fired there about once a month. We were there whenever it was held. I have many fond memories of that range. I fired my first ever sanctioned match there out of many hundred in 1963. There was also a range at San Mateo that held 2700's quite often. It was located on the bay at Coyote Point near San Francisco International. Does anyone know it that one is still open? ............... oops sorry fellows! I just followed the link that "Good Guy" posted and see that Coyote Point is also still OPEN! That is great news .......... now I wonder if that cute lil blonde that worked the gate is still there?
Old May 31, 2001, 11:47 PM   #16
Gary H

Bowser

AKA Paul:

Didn't see an Email for you ... Wanted to ask you who the local guys go to for fitting a shotgun?

Thanks,
Gary
Old June 9, 2001, 09:54 PM   #17
Gary H

Any Ranges Allow Unsupervised Practice

Perhaps the liability issue in California makes this question a foolish one to ask. Many stores sell clay launchers, but where do you go to use them? Do any of the Bay area ranges allow for unsupervised clay practice? Are there public lands where folks use these things?
Old June 11, 2001, 03:47 AM   #18
Bowser

Gary,

sorry for not rplying to your stock fitting question. I will try to find an answer for that on Wednesday.

A friend had his own clay thrower, and he shoots it on his own land. I am not sure if you could shoot them on BLM land. I'm pretty sure you'd be okay in the desert, or deep in the woods.

Regarding unsupervised practise, I doubt that any clubs would allow that. At RR&G club, it can often be quiet on a Wednesday, and there is a chance that there may only be one or two shooters on the field.

P.
Old July 10, 2001, 12:36 PM   #19
Gary H

Paul:

Wow, Amy and I visited your club for the first time and we were really impressed. The Trap/Skeet fields were a prettier environment than most of the places that I vacation. The every Saturday IPSC is really great. My only reservation is shooting with steel. I need to look into steel reloading.