The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2012, 07:21 AM   #1
powerline

223 hand priming?

Loading some 223 for my ar started with some lake city and picked up some Hornady brass I thought it was the military brass with a tight priming hole but the factory Hornady brass seemed to do the same
I'm using the rcbs universal hand primer it works great for large rifle primers but not for small rifle primers
Has anybody used any other brands with better results?
I hope
Your Infromation will be appreciated
Thanks
Old November 12, 2012, 07:24 PM   #2
amamnn

Other brands of what? primers or brass or hand priming tool?

I use other brands of all the above (as compared to your brands mentioned in the post) and have never had any hint of a problem.
Old November 12, 2012, 10:32 PM   #3
medalguy

Use of some punctuation might make your post easier to understand. I'm not real sure exactly what you're asking.

Are you having priming problems with the Lake City brass, or with the Hornady brass?

Are you asking if others have used other brands of priming tools, primers, or brass with better results?
Old November 12, 2012, 11:17 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Lake City brass, if is not new, unfired brass, will have crimped primers, and those crimps don't come out completely with the primer. You have to cut the old crimp out. Some commercial brass also has crimped pockets. Some primers, like TulAmmo and Wolf are also a little fatter than others. If you just need to remove crimps, there have been recent posts on the tools and methods for doing it that you can search for. If you are using the slightly fat primers, though, the solution is likely going to be to use a primer pocket reamer or a a primer pocket swaging tool to loosen the pockets a little.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 13, 2012, 07:38 PM   #5
Catfish

I would also guess that your problem is the crimped primer pocket. There is 2 ways to get rid of it, swedge it out or ream it out. I much prefer to swedge them out. RCBS makes a die to do it with on your press or if you want to spend the bucks Dillon sells a tool to do it that is really great. You can also pick up a pocket reamer that you just need to twist into the primer pockets. With these you have to be careful not to ream them out to much and get over sized primer pockets and loose primers.
Old November 14, 2012, 12:43 AM   #6
warningshot

RCBS makes a dedicated bench mounted priming tool that uses the regular primer tubes and shell holders. It sure reduces the aggrevation factor of primeing for me. Easier on the hands & finger too.
Old November 14, 2012, 10:52 AM   #7
moxie

If they are military crimped cases then swage with either the Dillon or RCBS bench mounted tool.

I have had very bad luck using the RCBS hand primer with .223. The Lee Autoprime is the ticket. Much better.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old November 14, 2012, 11:59 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

You Tube videos show about every imaginable means of removing the crimps. Just search on military crimp removal.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 14, 2012, 06:59 PM   #9
PA-Joe

Did you change to the small primer ram? The hand primers have both a large and small ram.
Old November 14, 2012, 08:41 PM   #10
dagger dog

powerline,

Look at the primer pocket and see if it has a "ring" around the edge of the pocket, if it does that is the crimp, it can cause the primer to be hard to seat.

If you take your chamfer deburr tool and use the chamfer end you can cut a small radius at the lip of the primer pocket, you just need to remove a small amount of metal not the whole "ring", just radius the edge, the force required to seat the primer to the bottom of the pocket will be reduced.
Old November 14, 2012, 09:11 PM   #11
4runnerman

+ 1 on the lee hand primer. If you have Military crimps in your brass,as far as i know from expirence-You will not get a primer to seat no matter what you do, It just will not fit period. Hand press or bench press
Old November 15, 2012, 07:39 AM   #12
droptrd

sounds like you need to swage your primer pockets. As for hand primers, I own the rcbs and Hornady hand primers. Both occasionally flip primers. The RCBS has a bit more "leverage" for seating primers as the lever hinges on the bottom of the handle where the hornady hinges on the top. The RCBS feels more nature in my grip. However I have never crushed a primer by seating it too hard in the hornady. It has happened with the rcbs though rarely.
Old November 15, 2012, 11:29 AM   #13
ForneyRider

I use the RCBS primer pocket reamer on military brass. I also use the Redding debur/chamfer tool and Redding primer pocket tool to clean up the pockets. Some brass will be tight even though it has no crimp.
Old November 16, 2012, 06:48 PM   #14
powerline

Sorry, thats my fault I was referring to info on hand primming tools
I was having problems with the rcbs universal hand primer.
I have tried it on lake city brass with crimps removed not sure if they where swaged, So I thought it would do better with once fired commercial hornady brass but NOT.
Thanks for all the input
Old November 17, 2012, 12:17 PM   #15
45YearsShooting

Quote:
I'm using the rcbs universal hand primer it works great for large rifle primers but not for small rifle primers
I've use the RCBS hand primer tool on thousands of .223 cases (small primer) and it has worked fine for me. Like mentioned earlier, are you swapping out the large primer ram and plastic piece for the small primer ram and plastic piece?