The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 2, 2012, 09:10 AM   #1
walleyeman54922

Wolf and Tula Ammo Import Ban

Has anyone heard that our gal Hillary got the United Nations to pressure the Ukraine to stop importing ammo to the US? This would include Wolf. Tula and WPA brands. True or just internet fodder?
Old October 2, 2012, 09:26 AM   #2
carguychris

I consider the NRA-ILA news website to be the Snopes.com of gun and ammo news, but it says nothing about this.

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues.aspx

Sounds like an unfounded rumor to me.

BTW Tulammo is made in the city of Tula, which is 60mi south of Moscow, in Russia- certainly not in Ukraine.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:31 AM   #3
dogtown tom

Quote:
walleyeman54922 Has anyone heard that our gal Hillary got the United Nations to pressure the Ukraine to stop importing ammo to the US? This would include Wolf. Tula and WPA brands. True or just internet fodder?
If it was true don't ya think there would be ten threads going on every internet gun forum?

Apparently you're the only one asking this question.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old October 2, 2012, 10:19 AM   #4
Stressfire

Do you have a source for the info?

Quote:
Apparently you're the only one asking this question.
Well....not necessarily...

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...olf_Import_Ban

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?...751-any-truth/

Last edited by Stressfire; October 2, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old October 2, 2012, 10:24 AM   #5
walleyeman54922

Came from the AK47world.com website. Had my doubts but was concerned enough to see if it was credible.

Last edited by walleyeman54922; October 2, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old October 2, 2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Let's use some logic here...

There are a number of importers/sellers whose businesses are largely derived from the importation of this ammunition.

Have we heard ANYTHING about this from any of those individuals/businesses?

Have we heard ANYTHING about this from any of the industry groups?

Have we heard ANYTHING about this from any of the anti-gun groups?

Think there might be a reason for that?

Next, let's look at the concept of the US Secretary of State going hat in hand to the United Nations (just who, in the UN, or did she address the entirety of the organization?) and asking that organization to intervene in what even the UN admits would be trade situation between two individual nations?

Think that's kind of suspect?

Next, let's look at the concept of trade between two individual nations. If the US wanted to stop important of a product from another soverign nation, there are already mechanisms in place in US law to do so, even to the point of President Obama issuing an executive order to halt the importation of the ammo, the same way Bush I did to a bunch of semi-autos in 1989?

See all the problems here?

It's not hard to see where all of this is really started. It's an off shoot of the "The UN is going to ban all of my guns!" hysteria that was going around the net for the past what, 18 months?

In short, it's a conspiracy theory with absolutely no basis in reality.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 2, 2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Stressfire

That was my thinking, Mike. All I was able to find with some Google-fu was other forum posts. I was hoping OP could link an original news article or some such.

I could almost see wanting to ban import of military surplus ammo, but for what reason I couldn't possibly fathom.
Old October 2, 2012, 03:40 PM   #8
bumnote

In reality she's tired of how dirty and smelly it makes her guns after a trip to the range. I'm certain she's just trying to make sure we have the cleanest burning and most accurate ammo available.
Thank goodness someone is looking out for us...and besides I'm sure the Russians have just been looking for any excuse to loose a few million dollars in trade each year.