The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 27, 2012, 09:27 AM   #1
TheGunGuy

IWB Holsters - Hybrid-Kydex or Custom Leather???

Hello all,

I am looking for opinions and/or experience here. I have a couple of Theiss IWB holsters for my Glocks. They work just fine for IWB carry and concealment. I was kicking around the thought of ordering a custom IWB holster from TT Gun Leather. Now, I'm not wanting a "who's products are better" war, I just want to know if an all leather IWB holster is actually better than the hybrid kydex style. I can say the all leather one's I've been looking at sure are pretty - but is that all they are is pretty? Do they conceal better? Do they ride better? More comfortable?
Old September 27, 2012, 10:11 AM   #2
comn-cents

I think it depends on your body shape.
I hate my CrossBreed holster, I know lots of people who love them not me.
I love my Galco leather summer special and a BladeTech kydex IWB.
I do like the BladeTech a little better because it is thiner.
For an IWB holster looks don't matter to me.
Old September 27, 2012, 10:14 AM   #3
TheGunGuy

I forgot to mention.. I am 6'2" around 220ish and fluctuate between a 34 to 36 pants size.
Old September 27, 2012, 12:10 PM   #4
TAKtical

The leather will always be thicker than a hybrid. I prefer the hybrids. The leather IWB's ive tried like galcos summer comfort always want to come out when I draw, or shift quite a bit. I like the clips to be much further apart like on the hybrids. I know they make some leather ones like that but I havent tried them due to the price and the fact that I make my own holsters.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old September 28, 2012, 02:48 PM   #5
Sixer

Definitely "CUSTOM" leather

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old September 28, 2012, 02:54 PM   #6
comn-cents

I've been using a comfort special for 10+ years and have never had it wanting to come out or moving around.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:06 PM   #7
p loader

I have a Don Hume similar to this one

While it is easier to put on and remove I find that I do not like it as much as my Crossbreed IWB holster. I find the CB distributes the weight better, doesn't move around as much, conceals better and will not come out when I draw the gun (as the Don Hume has done several times at the range). I have the "combat cut" option on mine which simply means the trim the leather down a bit on top before shipping.

Like others have mentioned I think it comes down to what feels best for you, and what suits your carry style. If I could I would wear a paddle FOBUS holster all day, but that doesn't conceal very well when wearing a close fitting t shirt.

Good luck
Old October 16, 2012, 10:18 PM   #8
WESHOOT2

moo or whinny

I prefer organics touch my skin.
Old October 18, 2012, 10:24 AM   #9
Belve

i think its all personal preference i have both types and it all depends on the size and fit of the pistol you are carrying. at least imo
Old October 18, 2012, 11:47 AM   #10
JimDandy

I have a IWB from Kramer leather. I like it. It screws to your belt rather than clips. I hate clips and snaps. Though it would be nice to be able to take it off without some joker offering to stuff a dollar down my shorts, I couldn't put it back on without all but dropping trou anyway, so it works.

If you get leather- Wear undershirts. In the first place, that lets an untucked T shirt work as your cover garment in hot weather. In the second, the dye will still bleed. Better on an undershirt, than a T shirt you like.

Being somewhat larger than you, I'd have loved it had he reinforced the opening with kydex. I can still re-holster through the opening, but the little bittypart of the sweat shield that is above the opening for the safety area isn't as reinforced, and tends to fold over just enough to irritate.

There's a place out of Florida that makes an almost all leather IWB with a Kydex mouth sewn in. But he uses snaps, so it's always something