The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 18, 2011, 10:36 PM   #1
osallent

Real difference between Modified and Improved Modified?

As most of you know from my previous thread, I became a shotgun owner last week when a friend sold me his almost-new Remington 870 Express. I took it skeet shooting with another friend today and when he saw the shotgun he said "That's a modified choke on your shotgun. You need an improved modified choke if you are going to shoot skeet." Throughout the entire time we were there shooting he made me feel like I brought the wrong tool for the sport. Is modified really inferior for skeet shooting? Do I really need an improved modified?

I should add that I did get some satisfaction from shooting more clays than him, and he's been skeet shooting for a while. But he still kept on insisting that I had the wrong choke, and it's been bothering me ever since.

Last edited by osallent; March 18, 2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old March 19, 2011, 12:09 AM   #2
zippy13

Do I really need an improved modified?
No, you need a Skeet choke.
Old March 19, 2011, 01:02 AM   #3
TheKlawMan

I am just learning, but improved modified is too tight for skeet as I believe is modified, Might he have said improved cyllinder? Most commonly you would use a "skeet" for skeet. Here is a chart about choke constrictions. http://www.shotgunworks.com/content....un_Choke_Types
Old March 19, 2011, 01:09 AM   #4
Slugo

Skeet choke, period...
Old March 19, 2011, 03:51 AM   #5
osallent

TheKlawMan, thank you very much for that link. It was very helpful.
Old March 19, 2011, 09:19 AM   #6
oneounceload

The difference between Modified and Improved Modified is anywhere between .005 and .010

Great for FITASC and handicap trap, not skeet

http://www.hallowellco.com/choke_chart.htm

Shows the different designations

Here's one showing different chokes for different sporting clays targets (you'll come over to the dark side soon )

http://www.briley.com/2009/sportingclays.html
Old March 19, 2011, 12:18 PM   #7
BigJimP

Just to make sure ....are we really talking about "Skeet" as in two houses, a high house and a low house each throwing targets / and sometimes throwing pairs ....

or are you using the term "Skeet" meaning any game / with a clay target ??

Trap is a game - from the 16 yd line / where a Modified or an Improved Modified Choke is often used ....

Are you talking "Skeet" or maybe "Trap" ....not to insult you / but I'm wondering when your buddy said Imp Modified for skeet .... Like others I always use a Skeet choke or sometimes a Cyclinder choke for Skeet / depends on the gun and how it patterns at 21 yds or so....
Old March 19, 2011, 01:56 PM   #8
olddrum1

Osallent, you can shoot skeet with any choke you really want to. What you find is that the more open the choke, the easier it gets. I have shot skeet using a full choke as a handicap.
Old March 19, 2011, 10:39 PM   #9
zippy13

I have shot skeet using a full choke as a handicap.
My friend, I'm guessing your targets were either a clean miss or totally vaporized.
Old March 21, 2011, 01:41 AM   #10
olddrum1

Yes Z13, my friend, there was no arguing over chips.
Old March 21, 2011, 02:39 AM   #11
M.O.A.

i think it would really be eazyer if we knew what you where really shooting trap,skeet or sporting clays
Old March 21, 2011, 03:48 AM   #12
osallent

It's the one where a single clay is released from one spot, I believe it's called Trap Shooting. I said skeet at the beginning of this thread, but that was a mistake in my part. Keep in mind this was my first time shooting shotgun, so am still in the learning process.

Thank you for the links. I've found the information very helpful, and I think I have a better idea now about how chokes work and what kind of choke I should be using.
Old March 21, 2011, 09:23 AM   #13
zippy13

What we got here's a failure to communicate.
Old March 21, 2011, 01:20 PM   #14
TheKlawMan

If it is trap, where there are 5 stations located on a line 16 yards back from where the targets are released, an "improved modified" choke makes sense even though the standard choice of many would be a "modified". I tend to shoot late because I am slow and if the wind is in my face I have been told I would do better with an improved modified.
Old March 21, 2011, 01:30 PM   #15
BigJimP

Ok, so now we know we're talking about Trap Singles ...from the 16 yard line ...

Modified should be plenty of choke ....and the idea on Trap targets ...is to hit them as they're rising ( and they're predictable because they're still under power !).

You don't want to wait for a Trap target to flatten out ....or drop ...because as they drop ...the more they drop, the faster they drop ...and you have to get way under them and follow thru by driving your barrel down ...which is way more difficult. Shoot a Trap target as they are rising. If you don't have a Modified choke / then shoot an Improved Modified --- but I wouldn't go any tighter than that.
Old March 21, 2011, 06:17 PM   #16
seansean1444

if you beat him then should ya really be taking advice from him lol?
Old March 23, 2011, 01:16 PM   #17
olddrum1

I guess I need a cylinder bore choke or just shoot threads now if we've changed to trap.
Old March 25, 2011, 11:20 AM   #18
rsnell

A modified chock will work for 16 yd trap. An improved modified chock is better and a full chock is best.

Bob
Old March 25, 2011, 01:21 PM   #19
zippy13

FYI: My R-1100-Trap model (with Trap rolled into the side of the receiver, and Target on the step rib barrel) came with 3 Remington screw-in chokes, labeled: Trap Full, Extra Full and Super Full.
I can never remember which is tighter Super or Extra full; but, you can see the difference in wall the thicknesses,
Old March 25, 2011, 01:54 PM   #20
williamd

Use St for skeet. C or iC if you do not have Skt chokes.

Use IM or F for trap. M is okay for short yardage.

Draw (or find in a book) layouts for trap and skeet. Read the 'how to', then post the pics by your desk and practice in your head ... visualize! The old copy of Shotgun Digest edited by Robert Stack is one of my favorites. Small books by D. Lee Braun and Little (The Little Trap Book) are good. Probably have to search Amazon.

Last edited by williamd; March 25, 2011 at 02:01 PM.