The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 24, 2010, 08:16 PM   #1
bigwilly

British Enfield SMLE III*

Hey guys, I was hoping you guys can help me. I have done a lot of research on it already but I was hoping for a fresh pair of eyes or some fresh knowledge. My coworker has a British Enfield SMLE III* and was hoping you guys could give a ballpark figure of its value, yes I know pictures would be soooo much better but I dont have any, just some markings and his word that his father cared for it and "rubbed it down with linseed oil", "its beautiful". Now I've learned that he isn't that knowledgable and has been wrong about this collection he's acquired so I'm just going by his word that its in very-good to excellent condition, but not NIB. Here are some markings/details he provided:

-England M 9041 (I'm assuming this is the serial #)
-Crown Symbol with GR then under that Enfield 1917 ShtLE III* (I'm good with this)
-More Symboles in a line (not sure where, but assuming proof marks): GR, X, P, some circular symbol, 95, then E
-O15 on the front sight (is this the last 3 of serial, if so I guess its not fully matching).
-19C6 or 1906 underbarrel on wood

Well that's about it. I wish could provide more but that is what he wrote down. I'm assuming $150-250 on avg. Just saw one sell in Nov for $250 on gun broker and see others around the $300 for VG. Do you all agree? Also thats what one would get in private sale, how much discount do you think for trade-in? 25%? Trying to decide if I'd be interested.

He also has a German Radom P35(p) with B2xxx series with all 3 levers and holster, both in good to VG condition. I think I told him around $4-500 range. Is this worth the cost? It is missing a "spring" dont know which one, but I can buy a spring kit for $20. Might be firing pin spring his father had removed, maybe. Alot of assumptions I know.

Package deal maybe $600-650? More or less??? Thanks so much guys!