The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 11, 2002, 06:27 PM   #1
beetlefang

How do you store your double?

Heya,

Just came home with a new citori...and now I have yet even more questions.

How do you store your doubles? Assembled or taken apart? Do you dry fire the locks if you leave them together?

Does it really matter either way?

Right now I've got the snap caps in mine and it's in the safe w/ locks fired....but while i was shopping for the gun I noticed that no gun shop had snap caps in their guns all of the guns handed me to mount were set to fire...will this wear out the springs? Or is this too much analyzing?

-Beetle
Old November 11, 2002, 07:41 PM   #2
HSMITH

I store mine assembled, transport them assembled too. I break them down to clean and that is it, and only then because it is easier to clean the barrels when they are all you are holding on to. I do not store mine with snap caps. I just dry fire them. Nearly every modern gun can be safely dry fired, if they can't they will have warnings all over the place not to do it.

I always let the springs down out of habit. I do not think it is necessary or that it will add any tangible life to any but leaf springs. Leaf springs (flat springs, V-springs etc) can be fatigued by load, a coil is not nearly as succeptible to fatigue. It won't hurt a thing to let them down, but I really don't think it will help anything either.
Old November 11, 2002, 07:45 PM   #3
Dave R

Assembled. Use snap caps to let the springs down. Mine's pretty old and I don't want to break a firing pin.
Old November 11, 2002, 09:26 PM   #4
PJR

Congratulations on the new Citori.

Citoris have coil trigger springs and I leave mine cocked and don't worry about it. I have a couple of guns however with leaf springs that are less durable and they are always dry fired with snap caps before storage. I don't agree that every modern gun should be dry fired or that there would be warnings if this were not the case. I owned a recently manufactured sxs that tended to break firing pins if it were not dry fired with snap caps.

It doesn't matter if you store assembled or unassembled provided you don't store it in a case. That's a sure way to end up with a rusted gun. Another point is to be very sparing with the oil. Too much and it can seep into the wood and oil soaked wood is not a good thing.