The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 24, 2012, 11:03 PM   #1
ms6852

HEADS Walther PPQ, TAILS FNP9

My wife has finally decided on a SD gun for herself sorta. She likes the feel of both the walther and the fnp, but cannot decide. Aside from the two rounds advantage the fnp has over the walther what would you get. She does not want any other guns like glock, m&p's etc. She has tried a few.

I've done a few hours of searches for both handguns and there does not seem to be a comparison between these two particular handguns. I like the walther myself but it is for the wifey not me.

I know there is a lot of comparisons done here and am hoping another one will not push anyone over the edge.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:33 PM   #2
wyohusker

I know that the FNP is not quite as fancy looking as the PPQ but it is a well made gun that goes bang everytime that you pull the trigger. Reliablilty is what I look for when looking for the wifey... It also come with three 16 round mags. I also like the action of a hammer fall not much into strikers, although I own several. I think you can pick up a FNP a couple bills cheaper than a PPQ.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:46 PM   #3
sigarms228

Has she fired both of them?? If so then that should make her decsion easier and the preference, if any, of DA/SA versus striker fired knowing the advantages and disadvatntages of each.

For myself the choice would be and was the Walther PPQ. If you can have here look at the Walther P99 AS also. Striker fired but unique ability to simulate DA/SA and has a decoker. Other than that they are extremely alike.
Old June 24, 2012, 11:48 PM   #4
Fishbed77

I faced a similar decision a while back between the FNP and Walther P99AS (same pistol as PPQ, but with DA/SA trigger).

I went with the Walther and never regretted it for one second. The P99/PPQ has a 15-year proven track record of reliability and much better ergonomics than the FNP in my opinion. It is just a more refined pistol overall.

Both are nice guns, but for the money, the Walther is nicer.

Last edited by Fishbed77; June 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Old June 25, 2012, 12:03 AM   #5
ms6852

She has not fired both of them, and it would be nice to find a place here in San Antonio that would have these two particular handguns. Tried a local range but those particular guns were not in stock.
Old June 25, 2012, 12:50 AM   #6
TunnelRat

If she likes DA/SA but the grip on the Walther, why not a P99?
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 25, 2012, 02:48 AM   #7
RBid

Two great pistols. DA/SA requires a lot of practice. The PPQ practically shoots for you.
Old June 25, 2012, 02:57 AM   #8
mumbo719

If you plan to get a single stack 9mm later on Walther has the PPS. There is a lot to be said for having the same controls on 2 guns for both plinking and S/HD.

I would go PPQ, YMMV.
Old June 25, 2012, 07:02 AM   #9
loose_holster_dan

sorry to hijack thread, but mumbo, it looks like you got some good advice on gun purchases if you ended up with the ones in your signature. wish i had been so fortunate. i went through quite a bit of trial and error before finding those.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old June 25, 2012, 12:55 PM   #10
Mystro

I like FN. They are American made and the company makes most of the small arms for the military so they know what they are doing and are not going anywhere.

Last edited by Mystro; June 25, 2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old June 25, 2012, 01:26 PM   #11
cetanner

Don't have any experience with the FN so I can't comment on it. I recently purchased a PPQ9 for my range gun. I think it is great. Fantastic ergonomics, great trigger and more accurate than I am. I still use my SR9C for CC because it is smaller than the PPQ.
Old June 25, 2012, 07:38 PM   #12
mumbo719

loose_holster_dan I tried and owned a lot of different pistols, some I liked, some I wanted to like but didn't and some were just mistakes.

My CZ's and Walther's will have to be pried from my cold dead hands (hopefully that will be a long time from now ).
Old June 26, 2012, 12:41 AM   #13
ms6852

We have decided on the Walther PPQ for the wife. Due to the nature of it being ambidextrous was the only recent for buying it. I'm a southpaw and the wifey is right handed. The magazine realease is unusual but it works for me and the wife.

Thanks for your input guys. I'll buy it after my trip from Louisiana on the 4th of July and will have pictures and range report on it.
Old June 26, 2012, 03:17 AM   #14
mumbo719

Congrats ms6852, you and the wife are going to love it.

Post a range report when you get the chance.
Old June 26, 2012, 08:57 AM   #15
Roland Thunder

Congratulations, I think you made the right choice in choosing the PPQ. I have one and I really like it, one of my favorite guns. I think Walther's are very high quality guns. I too was a bit taken back by the Walther mag release. Now that I'm used to it, I really like it.
Old June 26, 2012, 10:02 AM   #16
TunnelRat

Quote:
The magazine realease is unusual but it works for me and the wife.
Try using the index finger or middle finger of your shooting hand to release the mag. It works better for me. In fact I find it even faster than the "standard" button.
Old June 26, 2012, 11:49 AM   #17
sailskidrive

I have both and would definitely recommend the PPQ over the FNP9; the ergos are better and it is definitely more accurate.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old June 26, 2012, 12:14 PM   #18
presspics

At least compare Apple to Apples.. It should be the PPQ vs. FN"S". That being said...I love the Walther pistols. I just put a PPQ on my short list of things to get. I do however prefer the looks of the First Walther P99 pistols...Absolute thing of beauty.
Old June 26, 2012, 12:47 PM   #19
chadio

Fired the FNP-9 and the P99AS, both belong to close friends of mine.

I absolutely enjoyed the FN, the fit, the recoil, the operation, all of it. This is a handgun that I could see myself owning and recommend it highly. Looking forward to the next chance I get to fire the FNP-9.

The P99AS - I don't think I could find one thing that I liked about this pistol, especially the trigger. Don't mean to offend anyone, but if I owned a P99AS, I would sell it immediately - it simply doesn't suit me at all.
Old June 26, 2012, 07:10 PM   #20
Benji2012

i have fired both guns and i personally like the FN. both were great guns but i liked the look of the FN better. i bought the FN and have about 1000 rounds in it with no failures.
Old June 26, 2012, 10:14 PM   #21
ms6852

Thanks guys for your replies. The beauty in this situation is that my wife only uses it when she goes out of town, so I'll probably do more shooting with this.

I may still have the best of both worlds. My brother is an FNH fanatic so he has one in 45 caliber. I was amazed that his shot like a laser. I carry 1911 99% of the time or a mod 642 in the summer when I wear shorts. So I never owned a poly type handguns. But this two manufactures may have made me a convert.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:21 AM   #22
Fishbed77

Quote:
The P99AS - I don't think I could find one thing that I liked about this pistol, especially the trigger. Don't mean to offend anyone, but if I owned a P99AS, I would sell it immediately - it simply doesn't suit me at all.
chadio,
I think you are the first person in the history of the whole world to complain about the trigger of the P99AS.

The general concensus is that it has the best trigger feel of any out-of-the-box DA/SA pistol available today. The reset is incredible as well - even a tad shorter than the very slick PPQ.

The fit & finish of the P99 is also far better than any FNP I've ever handled. For some reason, Walther plastic seems so much nicer than FN/Glock/Ruger/S&W plastic.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:33 AM   #23
TunnelRat

Quote:
I think you are the first person in the history of the whole world to complain about the trigger of the P99AS.
I agree that I have never heard anyone complain about the trigger on a P99. For a striker it is sublime.

Quote:
The general concensus is that it has the best trigger feel of any out-of-the-box DA/SA pistol available today.
Idk if I would go that far though...

Quote:
The fit & finish of the P99 is also far better than any FNP I've ever handled. For some reason, Walther plastic seems so much nicer than FN/Glock/Ruger/S&W plastic.
I've heard this before. To me plastic is plastic.
Old June 27, 2012, 03:13 PM   #24
Fishbed77

Quote:
Idk if I would go that far though...
I would - the "AS" trigger pretty much beats any SIG or Beretta DA/SA trigger I've encountered, and is MUCH better than the H&K USP or P30 trigger. The FNP I've handled before had a nice trigger, but still wasn't as buttery-smooth as a broken-in P99AS trigger.

Quote:
I've heard this before. To me plastic is plastic.
Haha - pick up a Ruger P95 and hold it next to a Walther P99 and tell me if you still believe that.

Honestly, even Glocks and M&Ps sometimes surprise me by the amount of plastic flash at the mold seams on the frames. Walther (and H&K) just do a much better job when it comes to the little things like fit & finish.
Old June 27, 2012, 03:20 PM   #25
TunnelRat

You are obviously a big fan of the P99. That is fine. I owned one for a few months and wasn't blown away. But you know what they say about opinions.