The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 8, 2010, 12:08 AM   #1
Controlledpair

Savage 10fcp-k

SO, opinions? Originially I'd been looking at the regular Savage 10 in .308. Have heard pretty much nothing but good things about them; very accurate out of the box, cheap as all get out, reliable, ect. The more I think about it, though, the more I realize I probably wont be doing to much hunting with any center fire around here (Maryland, relatively close to the city). It's mostly dense new growth forest around, for which the 12 guage is more than sufficient. So I turn to a more range oriented rifle. Apparently the flueted barrel allows for slightly higher rate of fire? I'll be the first to admit my knowledge on the mechanics behind the different barrels is severly lacking. Any insights are more than welcome and much appreciated. If you feel I've made a bad decision, by all means, talk me out of it!

I am pretty set on .308 (although .270 may be an option), and I really enjoy firing precision rifles. I've got experience with the DMR, but would really like a bolt action, no more M14 babies for me.

Thanks allot, keep shoot'n straight
Old September 8, 2010, 12:25 AM   #2
mesabi

Are you looking to get a Savage 10 sporter or the Savage 10 FCP-K?

A heavy barrel has a thicker wall diameter than a sporter weight or light weight barrel profile. It will take more rounds in a given amount of time to heat it up. Fluting increases the surface area on the outside of a barrel to allow more heat to be dissipated.
Old September 8, 2010, 12:37 AM   #3
Jimro

fluted barrels do cool faster.

Heavier barrels absorb more recoil.

Either way you win.

Jimro
Old September 8, 2010, 12:46 AM   #4
Controlledpair

Thanks for the fast replies. I am under the impression that the 10FCP-k has both a heavier barrel and is fluted? This is what I am leaning towards; if I were out west or even a bit further west in the mountains I'd probably opt for the Savage 10 with the sporter barrel as it would be my main hunting platform. Right now though, I'm just looking for a good range rifle thats not way way heavy so that if I choose I could still take it to the field. This seems to be the 10FCP-k.

So am I wrong in thinking the above? If so I am way behind...
Old September 8, 2010, 01:39 AM   #5
Hoskins

I have the Savage 10FP & love it!!! Couldn't bring myself to dropping the extra $$$ on the High end stocks though, so I went w/the FP. All I got to do is throw an adjustable cheek rest/riser & I'm good to go.
Old September 8, 2010, 12:26 PM   #6
Controlledpair

I am beginning to feel the same way... Do you mind sharing how much you spent on the 10fp? There is one at the local gun shop for $689, but I am sure I could talk them down. The more I think about it the more I realize the -k would be bought almost exclusively because it looks cool haha

Savage 10fp is probably the way I'll go, unless I find a 10fcp-k for ubber cheap.
Old September 8, 2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Txhillbilly

If there's a Cabela's near you,they sell a Savage 10FCP that is an exclusive for them.It comes with a Choate Tactical stock on it,and sells for $699.They have also had it on sell a few times for $649.
Old September 8, 2010, 11:07 PM   #8
Hoskins

I bought my savage 10FP for $699 before tax. The Accu-Trigger is amazing, very crisp & clean. The stock is very comfortable to me. The recoil pad is like no other I've seen. It reduces something like either 25% or 45% more recoil than the aftermarket recoil pads, such as Limbsaver Recoil Pads.

I will be putting an adjustable cheek pad/riser on the stock. Kartsen makes one that you drill 2 holes into the stock & bolt the riser to the stock. I kind of cringe at the thought of drilling two holes into my stock so I'll most likely go another route. I will probably get the Blackhawk adjustable cheek riser that you simply strap onto the stock.

Additionally, I got a a Mueller scope...I know, it isn't the UBER-Expensive-Huble telescope type scopes that are out there, but it has crisp optics, great reviews, & a good warranty.

I have a 20 MOA EGW Base & also a Harris 9" to 13" bipod as well.

My last tweaks, for now, will be to paint it myself using flat greens, tans, & browns.
Old September 9, 2010, 11:17 AM   #9
Controlledpair

Approx how much did the whole set up run you? If I can get the cash together in the next couple weeks I could probably talk them down to $620-650.

That is one nice system you've got goin.
Old September 9, 2010, 01:15 PM   #10
Hoskins

With tax the rifle was approx $755.00

The scope was $230 (Meuller 4-16x50mm Tactical) & bought it from Sportsmans Guide

EGW 20 MOA Base was $30.00

Harris Bipod was approx $60.00

Approx total was $1,075 with all listed above. After I get the adjustable cheek riser it will push the cost up to about 1130.00

Tags
.308 , range rifles , savage