The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2000, 02:22 PM   #1
jeffelkins

I've hearing about 'Coach' guns. Are these similar to the classic Sicilian Lupara? A double-barreled shotgun with exposed hammers?

What's out there for purchase and how much?

Jeff

Old January 12, 2000, 08:10 PM   #2
jvanb

I too am trying to find out more about "coach guns". Your definition is correct, that is a side by side shotgun w/ exposed hammers. I'd also add to the definition, a gun w/ the shortest possible barrels under the law.
I've been trying to find out what models are available, but I haven't had much luck, (I only started looking an hour ago however.) I'll let you know if I come acrosse anything interesting. Please do the same for me.

-john
[email protected]
Old January 12, 2000, 08:22 PM   #3
P-35

Stoeger (Brazilian) makes a 12 and 20 ga coach gun with concealed hammers for anout 200-250. They have a version with chrome barrels which is truly tacky. There is another company marketing russian "coach" guns (IGA I think) with exposed hammers. I like the look of the exposed hammers but it seems like it's more prone to damage and smagging on stuff, I personally was hoping that Winchester would revive production of a coach gun in light of all this cowboy action shooting.
Old January 13, 2000, 05:11 PM   #4
dZ

heres the russian one: http://eaacorp.com/bounty/BountySG.html
Old January 13, 2000, 06:17 PM   #5
kv4v

I saw the Stoeger double in 20 gauge at a gun show and was impressed with the workmanship and the price. Doc

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West
Old January 13, 2000, 06:19 PM   #6
kv4v

I forgot to mention that the Stoeger has extractors but no ejectors. Doc

------------------
Is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? .... Mae West
Old January 16, 2000, 05:25 PM   #7
tony stapleton

also if you have a shotgun with ejectors
it will not be classified as cowboy action. only extractors. it can have
internal hammers or external.
Old January 16, 2000, 08:39 PM   #8
Big Bang

New Member..wonderful forum. I am trying to decide between a 20 ga. dbl coachgun and a Remington 870 express youth model for a car gun. I just want a simple sturdy gun to take along when I go out to our rural property to hike do chores and hunt. I kinda like the idea of a short handy double.
Does anyone have a link to Stoeger Arms. I tryed a search engine but didnt get to it.
Thanks!
Old January 17, 2000, 06:34 PM   #9
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Stoeger imports the IGA Coachgun from Brazil. Biakal makes the hammered Coachgun folks have seen. The hammers don't actually contact the firing pins-they cock the internal hammers. Biakal also makes an internal hammer Coachgun. My experience is with the IGA/Stoegers-they are well-made,reliable guns used weekly by literally thousands of CAS shooters and are a good choice if one is in the market for a coachgun.

Bill
Old January 18, 2000, 06:36 PM   #10
loknload

You guys may want to check around at some of your local gun shows. I just purchased a Savage Stevens coach gun on Sunday. It was custom made for a cowboy shooter and it is really nice. I always wanted one for my collection and really didn't want a foreign one. This was cut down from a full length and reblued to give it an antique patina. It is a hammerlessand has extractors not ejectors. Since it was used I got a good price and an excellent gun. Very tight and looks as it was hardly fired,Bores are excellent condition.
I'm really pleased with it
So it may be worth your while to check out some gun shows.

Happy Shooting

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

Old January 18, 2000, 07:08 PM   #11
tony stapleton

hey loknlod, i too bought a stevens311c
by savage this past sunday at a gunshow.
it has a 26 inch barrel. ironic huh?
Old January 19, 2000, 05:25 PM   #12
Stedinger

I recently bought one of Norinco's "coach guns" for $200 at a gun show. It has 20" cylinder bore barrels, external rebounding hammers and is decent in respect of the wood and metal. I have fired a few rounds of Buck and Slugs through it, but won't give a recommendation on it until I have shot it alot more. Some of the East Europe shotguns don't have "rebounding hammers"... they are just flimsy "cocking indicators" on hammerless shotguns.

I like a "Lupara" because I can tell from a distance whether it is cocked or not. I can also leave it loaded with the hammers down, uncocked.

Mine is devastating at 20 feet with any buckshot.

Stedlinger
Old January 19, 2000, 08:40 PM   #13
loknload

yeah Tony that is ironic, Mine I believe is a model 5700. Has 18 inch barrels and 34 inches overall. This was a full length customized for Cowboy shoots. Very well done and now has a very nice antiqued patina to it.

Happy Shooting

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

[This message has been edited by loknload (edited January 21, 2000).]
Old January 19, 2000, 10:00 PM   #14
jeffelkins

"I like a "Lupara" because I can tell from a distance whether it is cocked or not. I can also leave it loaded with the hammers down, uncocked."

That's exactly my interest. I have two shotguns (20ga pump/12ga Db. both Stevens) but I'd like one I can load and leave on the bedroom closet shelf. Fire it once a year but otherwise forget it.

Are Norinco coach guns still being imported? That sounds like just what I need.

Old January 20, 2000, 04:52 PM   #15
hickok45

I like any short side-by-side shotgun; they're just so cool! However, I prefer the rabbit-eared models by far!

One of the few "newer" exposed hammer shotguns is the Rossi coach gun, but try to find one. I have one I use in cowboy shooting and tree trimming around the farm. It's really nice to be able to have the gun fully loaded and closed, yet know it's safe because the hammers are not cocked.

With internal hammers, once you close it, it's cocked. I'm about as experienced as one gets with guns, but I just don't like having a shotgun loaded AND cocked, even with the safety on. I'm not as nervous around the campsite with a loaded shotgun if I can see those uncocked hammers.

The big problem is that there just are so few side-by-sides with exposed hammers around. I wouldn't sell my Rossi for $700.00, even though it's not really worth that much. I'd have too much trouble finding another!

Greg

------------------
"Happiness is a warm gun" John Lennon 1966
Old January 20, 2000, 10:07 PM   #16
tony stapleton

g glock, you make a very good point about
the advantage of external hammers. i agree and would love to have one too. you
just don't see them much.