The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 18, 2010, 01:24 AM   #1
billfrombyron

M1 Garand

So after a long flight from Dubai of about 16 hrs(counting layovers), I landed at Chicago and had a short 1 hour trip to my parents house in IL.

That same night my father and I loaded up in his jeep and headed off to Camp Perry, OH(8 hr drive one way). I will never do that much distance at once again. Or at least until next time I have to redo my CMP paperwork that is.

We wound up with 2 rocking M1s. My dad loves his fathers day present and said next year we will just order in instead. LOL(From CMP that is)

I apologize for a lack of good pictures, but airfrance lost my luggage and after finding it and delivering it to me I had one night to relax, and about an hour the next morning to snap some pics and get on the road.

They are sweet shooters, but mine is just a bit tighter in the grouping than his.

Mine has 3 notches on the front hand guard left side. 3 Germans, Koreans, or Japanese maybe? Could just be 3 scratches/gouges. We will never know.

Mine has one crack in the forward upper hand guard, but not too worried about it at this point since its got to wait a year before I can do anything with it anyway.

I cannot wait to get a few more!

These pics are of mine. His declined to be interviewed.

-Bill
Old June 19, 2010, 07:26 AM   #2
Orlando

Trip to Camp Perry is always atreat. Did you stock up on ammo?
Old June 19, 2010, 09:28 AM   #3
billfrombyron

I did.....but by the end of my trip home, I now need to buy more.....LOL.

Im going to be ordering more in a few months. One spam can full of greek just wasn't enough for my 2 week odyssey.

-Bill
Old July 2, 2010, 04:17 PM   #4
Annihilator

Time to stock up now before its gone forever!
Old July 2, 2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Wilkenstein

Looks quite a bit better than mine. What grade/manufacturer? I just realized I only live 3 hours from the AL store (I'm a new resident).
Old July 2, 2010, 10:41 PM   #6
Ignition Override

A quite experienced friend (who competes in matches) has a contact who sometimes does temporary work at one of the CMP stores, and they now have enough 30-06 ammo to last years.

"Time to stock up now...". Maybe so, maybe not.
I laugh at the exorbitantly high M2 ammo prices among many of the items on two full pages on Gunbroker, where much of it originated at the CMP, only to be marked up to 'chump prices', as with so many of their rifles.

Last edited by Ignition Override; July 2, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old July 3, 2010, 10:26 PM   #7
Wilkenstein

I bought about a 1000 rounds of the lake city stuff from the CMP a couple years ago. Kind of regret not ordering more...
Old July 13, 2010, 07:11 PM   #8
Wilkenstein

So I'm considering driving up the South store this weekend. Can I turn in my paperwork and buy another rifle right there? Or will I have to submit by mail and wait a few weeks? Didn't really see anything on the website that said anything about this.
Old July 13, 2010, 07:14 PM   #9
Orlando

You do not ever have to submit paperwork through the mail to purchase at either of the stores.
Do it there
Old July 14, 2010, 06:36 AM   #10
lwfiredog

Orlando, ive wondered about the paperwork at the store as well, what about the notory? Is that still required, or since you are physically in front of themand they see you sign it, is it not needed?
Old July 14, 2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Orlando

They have a notary there. Make sure your club memebership is up to date. If it isnt you can join a club at the Store
Old July 14, 2010, 07:30 PM   #12
lwfiredog

Oh wow, I wasnt aware of that, even from reading the CMP site. Thankyou so much.
Old July 15, 2010, 09:43 PM   #13
Wilkenstein

Yep, thanks a bunch. Hopefully I'll be posting up pics of a new rifle in a few days.