The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 24, 2002, 10:10 PM   #1
5ptdeerhunter

870 loading problem

This past weekend I went to my friends farm to do some deer hunting. I have used my 870 for shooting trap with 2 3/4" shells. It holds five shells just fine. But when I went to load five 3" slugs for hunting I found I could only load three into the magazine tube. This limits me to only be able to hold four shells. Its not that I shoot that much at every deer, but you just never know. All of my friends use 870s and they can all fit four shells into the magazine tube, and we all use the same slugs. The only way to fit all four in the tude was if I unscrewed the cap at the end. Then the cap wouldn't fit back on.

Is there something defective with my gun, or could it be the the magazine cap. The cap is a swivel sling.

Sorry my e-mail doesn't work.
E-mail me at:
[email protected]
Old November 24, 2002, 10:18 PM   #2
Navy joe

Maybe your follower is binding up, or maybe that's all you're going yo get in there. When I first got mine the follower would occasionally hang up on the extended mag tube leaving me one short of full. Loosened it up and aligned it, no problems. Aren't there mag capacity restrictions anyway where you hunt? I had to plug mine, here in VA it's two in the tube and one up the pipe max when deer hunting.
Old November 25, 2002, 12:26 AM   #3
Dfariswheel

There's nothing wrong with your gun. The Remington mag tube only holds 3, 3" shells. Remember that 3, 3" shells ADD 1 1/2 inchs extra shell length to the mag, so there just isn't enough room for another 3" shell.

I don't understand how your friends are fitting an extra 3" shell in there, since Remington says three is the limit.

EDITED FOR A LATER IDEA:
You're not by chance using a Remington Express model are you, and your friends are using older Wingmaster guns???
If so, the Express uses a different mag tube design with a longer end cap assembly.
Old November 25, 2002, 06:11 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The swivel on that cap may be long enough inside to block that last shell.

However, my old parts 870, AKA Frankenstein, only takes 3&1 when it comes to 3" shells. In the immortal words of Tony Soprano, "Fuggidaboudit".

My deer 870 has a 3 shot extension. In the decade I've had it set up as it is, I've not gotten to that 3rd round yet.

In your shoes, I wouldn't worry.....
Old November 25, 2002, 08:32 AM   #5
fritzebeagle

more shells ?

Instead of loading more shell in the mag tube why dont you learn to hit what your aiming at . make your shots count not count your shots. one shoty one kill
Old November 25, 2002, 09:05 PM   #6
5ptdeerhunter

Well to clear my record I have never shot at a deer more then once. The gun my friend has is also a express magnum. Oh well who really needs the fifth shot anyway, the gun still works great.

Thanks for the help.

Sorry my e-mail doesn't work.
E-mail me at:
[email protected]