The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 23, 2001, 08:24 PM   #1
wolfz

I recently bought a very nice PT22. It mechanically shoot well. Unfortunately it shoot about 6" high at 15 yards. It has fixed sights (permanent type. What can I do to lower the Point of Impact? If it was shooting low,I think that can be fixed with a touch of a file, but high????? Thx,wolf
Old April 25, 2001, 07:20 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Wolfz, you can shoot higher velocity ammo if the pistol will function with it. That will lower the POI somewhat but you basically have two choices here. Raise the front sight or lower the rear. You might talk it over with your local smith. It might not be possible or feasible. These guns are more or less considered 3' point and shoot defensive weapons and I would imagine that little regard is paid to the "target sights" at the factory. George
Old April 25, 2001, 07:41 AM   #3
railroader

Mine does the same thing. It used to shoot to point of aim but the slide was replaced by taurus a while back and now it shoots high. They said I could send it back in. They have a lifetime warranty.
Old April 25, 2001, 02:45 PM   #4
Alex Johnson

Most of the old Colt revolvers shot high too. This was in fact an intentional move on Colts part. Most people in a gunfight tend to pick out the widest part of the body to shoot at, a pistol that shoots high aimed like this will undoubtably place hits in the chest if it was in fact the stomache that was shot at. Also, the Colts are well sighted in for 50-75 yards which is alright also. I don't remember what the PT-22's front sight looks like, but it may be possible to dovetail a colored insert into it and raise it somewhat.