The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 5, 2014, 10:56 AM   #1
zfk55

What's with the whining about off-set scope mounts on Garands.....

Oops!

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'

Last edited by zfk55; August 5, 2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old August 5, 2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

What's with the silly, non firearms related.... thing?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 5, 2014, 11:39 AM   #3
zfk55

Delete it please, Mike. When you get to your mid-70's the memory leaves a lot to be desired.

An'' ole' Brer' Rabbit, he set in de bushes, he watch an' he wait, lay low an' he don' say nuffin'
Old August 5, 2014, 12:53 PM   #4
tahunua001

me confused.
Old August 5, 2014, 01:26 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

I used to shoot a Winchester Model 94 with an offset scope mount.

I've also shot a Savage 99 with an offset scope mount.

And finally, I've fired a Bren, which has offset sights.

No issues.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 5, 2014, 02:38 PM   #6
zfk55

The most common complaint with the SP scope mounts is their being (of necessity) off center. Most never think about the M1D Garand being even more off center than the SP K31 mount.

Tahuna, the comic illustration I deleted was of a guy with one eye on his face being waaayyyy off center. The caption was "I have no problem with an off center mount".
hmmmm Oh well.......

Old August 5, 2014, 02:40 PM   #7
Blindstitch

Only issue I've seen is zeroing one. 25 yard zero isn't accurate at 100 because of the offset. I now zero my win 94 to the right 1/2 inch of the bullseye and it says accurate.
Old August 5, 2014, 02:50 PM   #8
zfk55

That should not be. If the offset is .625, it's going to be the same at 25 yards or 1,000 yards, unless you're trying to change that offset to intersect the bullseye. That defeats the purpose. If you can tell that .625 offset POI at 300 yards from 50 yards, you're a better shot than I am, Gunga Dihn. Of course, you probably are anyway.

Old August 5, 2014, 04:20 PM   #9
kilimanjaro

Some years back a LGS had a Garand M1D, really nice shape. Being right-handed with a dominant left eye, that offset scope was pretty nice, I could just slant my head over a bit and good to go.

Alas, I returned to the shop with the goal of purchase, and the M1D was gone. Couldn't touch it for less than 3 or 4 times the money now.
Old August 5, 2014, 04:24 PM   #10
Mosin-Marauder

Zfk, I was thinking about ordering one of your mounts to put on my K-31.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 5, 2014, 07:15 PM   #11
zfk55

Well, if you do, MM.......... Don't waste your money on the Steel Mount. All it does is add unnecessary weight with no advantage. I put it in the lineup some 10 years ago because of demand. Americans seem to think that if it's not steel, it's not worth having. All of us here at SP use the aluminum mounts and have for the past 15 years without a failure. Its the highest grade aircraft aluminum with a hardening anodizing that makes them as tough as it gets.

Save your money. Don't spend it on the steel mount just because it's steel.

Old August 5, 2014, 07:51 PM   #12
Mosin-Marauder

Yes, I plan to buy the aluminum mount if I do decide to buy one. I don't see any problems with an offset scope mount, personally. Also, is it guaranteed not to damage the bluing or mar the metal of the rifle? Just want to be sure, I'm sure you understand my concern. Thank you.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 5, 2014, 09:52 PM   #13
kraigwy

Having fired several M1C/Ds and running sniper schools with the M1C/D I discovered there is Zero problems with the off set scope.

You sight it in for 50 yards, (the M84 scope is set 50 yard increments), if you can shoot, you'll still be on at 900 yards.

Another internet myth.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 5, 2014, 10:18 PM   #14
gyvel

Quote:
Also, is it guaranteed not to damage the bluing or mar the metal of the rifle?
Eventually, there will be some marring of the blue. Microscopic particles of what-have-you will become lodged between the mount and rifle and eventually abrade the finish, much like the grips on a handgun do to the frame after a number of shots. It won't be a whole lot, but you will be able to see it.
SIFE
Old August 6, 2014, 04:31 AM   #15
Blindstitch

Quote:
zfk55,
That should not be. If the offset is .625, it's going to be the same at 25 yards or 1,000 yards, unless you're trying to change that offset to intersect the bullseye.
The bullseye is the problem. If you zero for a bullseye the bullet will gradually move away from the bullseye the longer distance you shoot. Sure if you zero at max range you're going to shoot it won't matter but it's something to keep in your mind.

This way if your aim point is 1/2 inch off the bullseye at 0-infinity it will hit or try to hit the bullseye.
Old August 6, 2014, 07:34 AM   #16
zfk55

Gyvel, after 15 years of use on one of our Data Collection Rifles, that aluminum mount has marred nothing at all. The rest of us have never noted any marring on any of the rifles here at SP.

Old August 6, 2014, 08:12 AM   #17
gyvel

Quote:
Gyvel, after 15 years of use on one of our Data Collection Rifles, that aluminum mount has marred nothing at all. The rest of us have never noted any marring on any of the rifles here at SP.
It's usually very subtle. Over the years, I could always tell if a rifle had scope mounts installed at one time due to very subtle changes in the coloration of the blue. Also, a lot depends on how close the fit is and how tight the mounting is. Obviously, the tighter the installation the less chance there is for microscopic vibrations to wear the blue. Of course, it also depends on how long the mount is on and how many rounds are fired.

The good news about an aluminum mount is that any silver staining that appears is easily removed with a good brand of bore solvent. This is one reason why I always use aluminum punches instead of brass.

I will say that what I have observed over the years has always been on commercial guns that had scope mounts installed. YMMV.
SIFE

Last edited by gyvel; August 6, 2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old August 6, 2014, 08:34 AM   #18
zfk55

No disagreement at all.

Old August 6, 2014, 09:20 AM   #19
Mosin-Marauder

I'm so confused...The offset doesn't affect accuracy or point of aim at any distance but it does? It doesn't hurt the bluing but it does?

In the words of tahunua:
me confused
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 6, 2014, 09:28 AM   #20
zfk55

MM, the k31 has a case hardened receiver with an excellent bluing. gyvle said his experience is with commercial rifles. We've never experienced nor hear of a SP aluminum mount marring the finish on a k31 rifle.

If your group is .625" to the right of dead center, the it stands to reason that the offset POI will be the same at 25 yards or 1,000 yards. If you zero your scope (with the offset) at 200 yards, you'll never note a difference at 500 yards. All of us here at SP do not zero the scope on the bullseye. If you're punching paper at a specific range, that's one thing. If you're taking game, how would .625" offset ever make any sort of a difference? It depends on the application.

Old August 6, 2014, 05:24 PM   #21
Blindstitch

MM,
Don't worry as long as you know it should be off to the right slightly but consistent you will be fine.