The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 16, 2011, 08:01 PM   #1
the rifleer

Solid Frame

So I keep reading about how my Winchester Model 25 has a solid frame. What exactly is a solid frame? Does that just mean that the barrel is screwed into the receiver like a rifle? Thats the only thing I can figure.
Old June 16, 2011, 08:17 PM   #2
30-30remchester

As a Winchester model 12 collecter the difference is easy to tell the difference. The model 12 and 97's were able to be disassembled just ahead of the reciever. The entire gun broke down in approxamately even halves. Modern guns just have removeable barrels leaving the magazine tube still attached to the reciever, while the 12's when taken down had the barrel and magazine tube disassemble as a single unit. I have never owned a model 25 and assume they disassemble by simply removing the barrel. Shotguns dont have the same threading process as rifles. Rifles are screwed togeather with much closer thread tolerences and are attached to the reciever via a vise and large action wrench. A shotgun has looser tolerences and is designed to have the barrel removed by hand with a single quarter turn and then extraction. The thread pattern is called an intereupted thread.
Old June 16, 2011, 08:24 PM   #3
the rifleer

Both the barrel and magazine are threaded into the receiver. The magazine is easily unscrewed. The barrel is screwed in like a rifle barrel and would require a barrel vice to remove.