The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 23, 2013, 05:36 PM   #1
Bill Daniel

Leupold VX

What are the differences aside from price between a VX1 and the other VX's? I was looking at a 1 to 4x scope and the prices vary from 199.00 to over a thousand dollars. It will be for a 45-70 and needs to be sturdy.
Thanks,
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old October 23, 2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Doyle

Difference is in the quality of the optics. Better ground glass equals less distortion, more light transmission, better edge focus, etc. It will also get you better quality reticals. My "highest" end Leupolds are VXII's which are good enough for my purposes. If I were to get into longer range shooting (consistently above 300 yds) I'd go to a VXIII.

My favorite Leupold is the VXII 2-7. It is very compact and light - perfect for your 45-70. You can pick one up for under $300.
Old October 23, 2013, 07:34 PM   #3
NoSecondBest

I have a Leupold VX3 2.5-8 power on my 1885 High Wall in 45-70 and to my way of thinking it's the perfect scope for this gun. Unbelievably clear optics and not too big for the gun. Excellent light transmission from early light to last light. They sell for $399 and are worth every penny of it. Lifetime warranty with great customer service. I don't think you can go wrong with this scope.
Old October 23, 2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Revoltella

Unless you're on a serious budget, starting point for a Leupold should be a VX-2. They are on par with the previous generation VX-III optically. Better optics than the VX-1, but importantly finger click turrets instead of the friction turrets on the VX-1.

The Redfield Revolution is optically very similar to the VX-1, but has the click turrets. It's also backed by Leupold.
Old October 24, 2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Bill Daniel

Leupold VX

Thanks fellows.
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old October 25, 2013, 08:56 AM   #6
jmr40

First came the Varix- I, II, and III. They were upgraded years ago to the VX-I, II, and III. Another upgrade was made and the roman numerals were changed to arabic numbers. VX-1, 2, and 3. Since then there have been several more upgrades, but the numbering system has not changed

Since 2011 the VX-1 has had click adjustments. The VX-2 is better than the VX-II, but there have been several upgrades since coming out with the VX-2's as well. The older VX-1's were essentially a Rifleman, but no longer. The Rifleman series is unchanged. The current Redfield is essentially an older VX-1, but current VX-1's are a much better scope for about the same money.

Starting in 2011 they upgraded their entire lineup again. The VX-3's were made better. The new VX-2's are using the same coatings and technology that were on the previous generation of VX-3's, but selling at the old VX-2 prices. This is the value point for me. I own a 2012 made VX-2 that is a better scope in every way than a 2005 made VX-3 I also own. I cannot see spending the extra $100-$150 for the VX-3 over the VX-2. The difference is so much better I ended up selling all of my roman numeral labeled Leupolds.

The current VX-1's are essentially a pre 2011 VX-2, but selling for around $200 instead of $300. I have the same 1-4X20 VX-1 on an AR. You won't be dissappointed. It is a far better scope than the older VX-I, II or III models
Old October 26, 2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Bill Daniel

Leupold VX

Thanks for the summary jmr40, that helps a lot!
Bill